It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• A word of encouragement about bipolar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
    tricksaturnsc2

tricksaturnsc2 HB User
    A word of encouragement about bipolar

A lot of the most brilliant people to have lived were bipolar.

Stigma about mental illness including bipolar is in reality the final remaining descrimination. First it was people that were disabled, then it was race (not saying it's gone away but it's improved a lot) & now it remains mental illness.

A lot of people that show stigma about mental illness are brainwashed & uneducated (about mental illness). They may also be afraid of mentally ill people & so they hide their fear behind aggression (isn't that pathetic?)

Bipolar can instead be embraced (by yourself) around people you love & trust. Me I have a strong sense of humor, quirkiness & eccentricity around my family & so I am really close to my sisters & their children. We see each other all the time.

And what about the creativity that it brings? What about the hypomania - people taking stimulants can't even come close to the high.

The longer you have bipolar what you need to learn is that it can be treated & that all the dark episodes are just biochemical. It is basically like a bad trip that will go away in time. This is how i deal w/ my depressed episodes, and yes they are ugly i have attempted suicide numerous times before this acceptance.

Since when is being unique a bad thing? No one should be ashamed or think "oh i'm mentally ill", it's called diversity. Everyone was not meant to be the same.

A lot of nurses could learn these things, nurses in psych wards because a lot of them dislike patients or have no compassion. They need to find a different field of work. If you are dealing with disabled people, you need to have compassion for disabled people.

I know that this stigma about mental illness will go away in the future, as the world expands & people become more open minded.

As people are educated about mental illness and realize that it is a physical disease like diabetes, not a character flaw or a danger to other people, or that they are "evil."

Some people base mental illness on physiognomy (facial shape, eyebrow appearance etc). That died in the 1800s & it shows how stupid some people are. You have to judge illness based on behavior not on how a person looks. You can not tell by the shape of someone's face whether they are crazy or not.

These are all lies and myths bred by ignorance that will go away, thank god, some time in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
    quicke

quicke HB User
    Re: A word of encouragement about bipolar

Since when is being unique a bad thing? No one should be ashamed or think "oh i'm mentally ill", it's called diversity. Everyone was not meant to be the same.
    It's a bad thing when those "unique" people try to kill themselves!

As people are educated about mental illness and realize that it is a physical disease like diabetes, not a character flaw or a danger to other people, or that they are "evil."
    So a "unique" person that has said they want to kill their children is not a danger?

These are all lies and myths bred by ignorance that will go away, thank god, some time in the future.[/QUOTE]
    These are not all lies and myths. I am not ignorant about mental illness, it is very real and very tragic, not a wonderful embraced "uniqueness".

My sister is bipolar and has tried to kill herself 3 times. She has said she wants to kill her children and her dogs. She now lives with my parents(who are terrified every day) because she cannot be trusted on her own. Her "uniqueness" has devastated my family.

I do agree that this is a disease, a very dreaded disease.

Last edited by quicke; 09-23-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
    quicke

quicke HB User

I have gone back and read my post again. I apologize for sounding so mean and resentful. I did not mean to.
    My family has been struggling to try and help my sister and at times it seems so hopeless. And its not so much that this is a burden, it's that I feel like I have lost my sister to this awful disease. I guess what I'm saying is it's not my sister I resent it's the disease. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that she and others go through each and everyday.

Saturn, I am truly happy for you that you have come to this understanding of being bipolar ( I should definately said that in my first post). You should be applauded for you're positive view. Once again, I appoligize.

Old 09-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Lagbolt, your signature line is SOOOO familiar!

I think that as with most things Bipolar, BALANCE is always an issue.
    I have felt pretty darned good being in the same company as Patty Duke & Jane Pauley, and yet this disease made it impossible for me to graduate in a cap & gown with my class, have a baby & feel good about the choice, live in fear that my long 19 yr. old plateau was at an end when I hit the homonal hell of menopause.

I think I felt the MOST wonderful when I was manic. But so vulnerable to embarressing myself. And WORST when I was depressed to the point of being catatonic.

But truthfully, somewhere in the middle - centered in the middle of the teeter-totter is where I choose to try to be.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Thumbs up Re: A word of encouragement about bipolar

A lot of the most brilliant people to have lived were bipolar. YES

Stigma about mental illness including bipolar is in reality the final remaining descrimination. First it was people that were disabled, then it was race (not saying it's gone away but it's improved a lot) & now it remains mental illness. YES

A lot of people that show stigma about mental illness are brainwashed & uneducated (about mental illness). They may also be afraid of mentally ill people & so they hide their fear behind aggression (isn't that pathetic?) YES

Bipolar can instead be embraced (by yourself) around people you love & trust. Me I have a strong sense of humor, quirkiness & eccentricity around my family & so I am really close to my sisters & their children. We see each other all the time. This is a wonderful problem (LOL) to have.

And what about the creativity that it brings? What about the hypomania - people taking stimulants can't even come close to the high. My wife has said the same thing! WOW.
    The longer you have bipolar what you need to learn is that it can be treated & that all the dark episodes are just biochemical. It is basically like a bad trip that will go away in time. This is how i deal w/ my depressed episodes, and yes they are ugly i have attempted suicide numerous times before this acceptance.

A lot of nurses could learn these things, nurses in psych wards because a lot of them dislike patients or have no compassion. They need to find a different field of work. If you are dealing with disabled people, you need to have compassion for disabled people. I have seen this in one of the hosp that the wife was in.
    I know that this stigma about mental illness will go away in the future, as the world expands & people become more open minded. YES & YES

NAMI does a lot of this. The stigma issue is huge!

Some people base mental illness on physiognomy (facial shape, eyebrow appearance etc). That died in the 1800s & it shows how stupid some people are. You have to judge illness based on behavior not on how a person looks. You can not tell by the shape of someone's face whether they are crazy or not.

These are all lies and myths bred by ignorance that will go away, thank god, some time in the future.

I hope so!

Over all this post was very good!

Mudhound

Last edited by mudhound; 09-23-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:19 AM   #6
    BrianKosh
    (male)

BrianKosh HB User
    Exclamation Re: A word of encouragement about bipolar

unique it is, it is not normal frame of mind to want to kill oneself..

I am sorry, but I am curious, who is treating your sister and with what medications..

Unique can be nasty, evil, horrific and/or deadly, but however one looks at it, it is not the norm.

u have the right to be angry.. but as horribly as it is... it should not be a taboo subject... not with society. we're not witches that should be burned at the stake because majority of society thinks so... So far i have gone from milder depression, to deeper and deeper, to suicidal and then not suicidal then BP-1.. at this rate it scares the heck out of me, of what could be next.. I actually fear writting on these boards sometimes because I am not sure if I am in the right state of mind to be here.... I don't tapdance on the ceiling like some feel like doing, but the flip side I don't think of putting a gun in my mouth and pulling the trigger, and what is more frightening is THOSE thoughts came to me, whether i was horrifically depressed as in crying sprees or semi happy... I don't understand what that was about... or why it happened.. in ways I am lucky.. I just don't feel it.. why me? why your sister? who dreams up these nightmares?

U said u are not ignorant on mental illness, but that is not 100% true for everyone else.. I tried to explain depression to a group of people, some became offended and fixated at the examples of who in the room could be (COULD BE...) and not, just cause that one person who u would never dream or believe would put a gun in their mouth and want to pull the trigger, doesn't mean they wouldn't.. or the one that is happy all the time, yeah, right, like what is he on or not.. And when I actually told someone I was on AD meds.. short of falling out of their chair... they couldn't believe me... i was always too happy? (... yes, but slapping them senseless will just get u fired, and they just get really peeved..) Then there's the ones who stereotype u...

if u don't know what that feels like or means... lucky u.

no one said being unique was a good thing, but it's not the norm.

I am sorry for all the people who have family and friends with issues upstairs, But science is still just as clueless to it all as they were long before they had names for it all.. they have found meds that help, but they can't fix the ISSUES... ( If u notice any of the fine print of the meds for treatment, u will read the word "MAY" a lot.. disappointing, but not completely hopeless and before someone challenges the word hopeless.. if it was, THAT gun would have gone off long ago... That part of my life is me in an irrational state.. and I would like to keep that part of me buried deep... and If I have to take a bunch of pills and see a bunch of drs, so be it... )

They still do shock therapy (And yes, it has a nicer name to it) and it STILL works, not for all, it is a last resort, but THEY still use it.. it is not barbaric AND they still have little clue why it does work.. just that it does. Quite well for some patients...

good luck... that's all I have left to give u.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quicke
    It's a bad thing when those "unique" people try to kill themselves!

So a "unique" person that has said they want to kill their children is not a danger?

These are not all lies and myths. I am not ignorant about mental illness, it is very real and very tragic, not a wonderful embraced "uniqueness".

My sister is bipolar and has tried to kill herself 3 times. She has said she wants to kill her children and her dogs. She now lives with my parents(who are terrified every day) because she cannot be trusted on her own. Her "uniqueness" has devastated my family.

I do agree that this is a disease, a very dreaded disease.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
    tricksaturnsc2

tricksaturnsc2 HB User

when I posted this, I was not referring to the psychotic states. There is no positive in that. I myself am bipolar ii, and get maybe 6 months of depression followed by 2-3 weeks of hypomania. Obviously there is nothing positive about homicidal threats. I am 23 & i have been hospitalized 6-7 times since the age of 19, so I know depression.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
    quicke

quicke HB User

BrianKosh- Right now my sister is not on any meds or seeing a Dr. Her and her husband divorced about 5 months ago so she no longer has medical insurance and she refuses to get public assistance. I know in the past she was on zoloft, paxil, lithium,prozac, geodone, remeron and a bunch of others that I cannot remember the names of. I know that she liked her psychiatrist, but she could never find a therapist that she liked so she wouldn't go to one. And there would be times when she was on meds she would just stop taking them. As much as my family and I want to help her part of it has to be that she wants help. I am so scared for her!

And I also wanted to add that I think the fact that you are able to address the fact that you are bipolar is a huge step in the right direction. I believe giving opinions, sharing feelings and communicating with others is very theraputic, for everyone. So please don't be afraid to express your feelings here. I know reading the opinions from many of you on this subject has helped me and I hope it helps others.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
    blue_myst

blue_myst HB User

thx tricksaturn for such a great post!

Closed Thread