It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Topamax Question for anyone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User
    Topamax Question for anyone

My pdoc added topomax to my celexa and I took it for one day, but I woke up during the night with my head on fire and tingeling in my body and the room spining.I did not take another dose after that.But now I am wondering.I know that new meds cause side effects and that it may go away after getting used to it. Should I of given it a longer chance and waited out the side effects or was it an allergic reaction? I got waylaid on a depression board and convinced myself to give up meds and go it alone, but deep down I know that is not smart.I crashed really bad the last time I did that.So I am rethinking this new med and wondering if I should give it another chance? Because of the reaction my doc wants to put me back on lithium and it didn't really help the first time.Now he is reluctant to add anything as I am sensitive to a lot of meds.But maybe I can ride this through and overcome the reaction.What do you think? 11 years more meds than I can count= running out of things to try.

The following user gives a hug of support to Concerned39:
    Lil788 (06-09-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User
    Re: Topamax Question for anyone

My doc. has recently put me on topamax about 2 or 3 months ago and at first I felt very tired, so I took it at bedtime, but though the day I would get these tingles in my handes, fingers, feet, toes etc. My doc. did start me out on a very low dose (25mg I think) for a week and at the end of the week I upped the dosage by 25 mg every week until I got up to 100 mg then I went to 150 mg then went to 200 mg. I have been on 200 mg for about 1 1/2 to 2 months now and all of the side effects have pretty much worn off. The only other one left is I have lost some of my appetite. But hey I won't complain about that one!! I am also on 225 mg of Effexor XR (4 yrs now) and my doc. just added Adderall XR to the mix also! So we'll see how that goes. Any advise about the Adderall XR would be much appreciated also. I have only been on it for about 2 weeks. Hang in there!!

Old 09-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

Thanks for the post.I was put on 25mg twice a day.I have just taken one and will see what happens again, hope it works out to be ok as I really need a med to work.Hope someone else can give more insight.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

I hope this helps for you also. But my doc started me out just once a day and that is how I have always been taking it all the way through the course of the meds. And it made me really sleepy so I had to take it before bed. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

I am hoping that I don't get that side effect again. I really appreciate your post. Thanks for the support.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

If you don't mind my asking, I read some of your other posts and I was wondering where you read about the bad effects of Effexor XR? I keep reading all these people worried about the bad effects that it will have on them but I can't seem to find the info on it. If you could let me know that would be great. Thanks. Oh and the same thing with the Topamax I have been looking for info on it also but can't seem to find any on it. Thanks!!

Old 09-23-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

I went over to the depression board and there is one post over there by Sandella and many others on the whole heck of effexor and the withdrawel.It is really scary to read.I believe it is called effexor withdrawel points.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

Thanks, I'll have to check it out!!

Old 09-23-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

Ok. It is now about 2 and 1/2 hours after taking it and I am feeling fine. No reaction. So maybe it was just one of those things.Just thought I would let you know. Thanks for your time.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:31 PM   #10
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

No problem! The only things I felt were sleepy! And the phsychiatrist said it can cause weight lose. Let me know how it goes. Keep me posted! I checked out that thread on Effexor. Creepy!! I never saw any of that before!! No one ever told me any of that kind of stuff before. And to think, I have been on this stuff (Effexor) for over 4 yrs. Yikes!!

Beth

Old 09-24-2004, 12:45 PM   #11
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

Yes- but remember everyone reacts differently and I have also read posts where people had no problem tapering. I am feeling really dopey today and kind of slow and touchy.Will give it a couple of days and see how it goes.Take care Beth and keep posting.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:08 PM   #12
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

Just took my second pill today and it has eased the dopiness a little after one hour. Maybe this will be ok after all. Ok I will quit on the update. Just needed to work through the first couple of doses as I was scared of the reaction.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #13
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

Good to hear! I am glad to hear the update. Keep me updated. I just started it 2 months ago myself so I am really interested in how well you do with it. So please keep me up dated. I enjoy hearing from you!

Old 09-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #14
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

Thanks for the support.Hope you are having a super day.So far so good.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #15
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

I was reading up on side effects of topamax and read that there was a chance of kidney stones while taking the med.Has anyone had this side effect?

Closed Thread