It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Lamictal success story?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
    kathryn00
    (female)

kathryn00 HB User
    Lamictal success story?

I went back and searched all the posts about Lamictal and it seems that a majority of the responses were not so positive. So, now, I am wondering about the good side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
    Josie's Momma
    (female)

Josie's Momma HB User
    Re: Lamictal success story?

Hi,

I have been on Lamictal for about 6 months now. I am up to 200mg a night. I have not had any bad side effects. I think with me I got a good mix of all the drugs so I got lucky.

I feel like Lamictal is great. I tried Depakote and Trileptal before. I had horrible experiences with both. My moods have basically stabilized now. I still have an occasional cycle but even those aren't bad anymore.

If your doc is recommending it I would give it a shot and see how it works for you. It only took a couple of weeks for me to feel the difference. If you don't like it then don't continue taking it.

I hope this helps some.

Josie's Momma

Old 05-08-2005, 05:43 AM   #3
    keystone206
    Veteran
    (female)

keystone206 HB User

I have been on 200 mg of Lamictal for about 7 months and have not negitive effects and feel much better than I did. I have had no weight gain like I have heard other drugs can cause, and it has helped with the mania. So over all I say it has helped.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
    princess72
    Inactive
    (female)

princess72 HB User

Well, i was one of those negative posts about Lamictal. Basically not feeling anything til recently! I've been on it for about 2 months, and i have to say that i feel a tiny tiny bit better! I can barely feel the change and i dont feel anything like NORMAL, whatever that means! So, i guess this would be kinda positive. Really my moods feel like they are toning down a bit. My doc said this is like a miracle drug......so i am still waiting..........................

Old 05-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
    loopyturtle
    (female)

loopyturtle HB User

I've been one of the positive posters. I have so many meds tried on my history list that it amazes me to have one that has worked. And it worked very well. Not as well this time around, but that's not too uncommon, I think. The illness tends to get a little worse every relapse caused by my severely misguided decisions that "I'm fine! and don't need any meds . . . " But the good thing is that a higher dosage is getting me there again.

Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
    kathryn00
    (female)

kathryn00 HB User

Great replies! Thanks!

Anyone else?

Old 06-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #7
    Zbaby
    (female)

Zbaby HB User

My aunt-in-law who's a psychologist freaked when she heard I was on Lithium. She highly recommended Lamictal -- aside from being a mood stabilizer, it has a slight antidepressant effect.

Lamictal was better than Lithium, but I really turned a corner when Wellbutrin was added to my med combo of Lamictal and Celexa.

You may want to give Lamictal a try. I'm on a low dose of 150mg and it's working for me so far.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
    trying2blend
    (female)

trying2blend HB User

Hi I am on 100 mg - started with 25mg then up to the 100 mg now. It has only been a week at 100 and it if it was'nt for this icky headache I would be doing better because I have noticed I am getting thing done that I have put off for awhile - even with this headache. But I have heard that it will take time, 2-3 weeks, for pain to subside. Anyone else have this happen? Thanks - Good luck

Old 06-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
    population1
    (male)

population1 HB User

I was switched to Lamictal 10 days ago.
    Since the 2nd day,I've experienced bad headaches progressively getting worse each day.
    My doctor told me to go get a physical because there may be something else wrong.

Has anybody else had similar symptoms?
    Just curious.

Thanks for any response,
    MM

Old 07-04-2005, 05:45 AM   #10
    askin
    (male)

askin HB User

NOt sure what you mean by a good mix of all the drugs. Are you taking Lamictal with other meds?

Old 07-04-2005, 07:24 AM   #11
    GentleLady
    (female)

GentleLady HB User

I have been on Lamictal for about 8 months. I called it a miracle drug for most of that time. I didnt realized how depressed I was or how bad the decisions I made for my life were until I was on Lamictal. I began to take more interest in my normal everyday life, instead of running around looking for some elusive mood elevator. I began cooking again to the delight of my husband and friends who benefited. I took a greater interest in keeping my house clean. And I had energy and focus for other projects dear to my heart About three weeks ago I had several 'self esteem effectors' and I began to spiral downward. I immediately went in to see my therapist and pdoc. I was started on wellbutrin and have stabilized some. Im not crying and anxious anyway. I still havent gotten back to my stable Lamictal self. But the docs said it may take two or three weeks. Hope this helps.
    GentleLady

Closed Thread