It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• I'm New Here; Anyone on Seroquel??? (long)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
    ToughTimes
    (female)

ToughTimes HB User
    I'm New Here; Anyone on Seroquel??? (long)

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this board and would like some support with my struggle with bipolar and the medication. I started having bipolar symptoms when I was 10 years old. After struggling for years, I was finally put on Zoloft for depression when I was 18. The Zoloft threw me into a hypomanic state and I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder II. I was then placed on Depakote and Paxil and gained 70 pounds in two years.

I then got pregnant while on the Depakote which really scared the doctors b/c they were worried that the baby would have birth defects from it. They removed me from the Depakote and put me on Zyprexa with the Paxil. I remember the doctors fighting about Zyprexa being just as bad for the baby as the Depakote but Zyprexa is what they settled on. I was SO depressed and suicidal during my pregnancy that they just kept upping the dosage of Paxil because they did not know what to do. The medicine was not helping so I just quit taking it and quit going to see the doctors. I felt better but I think it was because I was pregnant.

I was off the medicine for three years and am SO irritable that I cannot stand myself and noone can stand me. My family begged me to get back on some medicine and I agreed that it was time. I tried to get in to see a psychiatrist but could not get in to one. I had to settle for my medical doctor. He put me on Seroquel and gave me a starter pack. I feel that the dosage is too high for me. After reading on this site, it seems that most people only take the Seroquel to sleep at night which makes sense to me. I am keeping a journal for my doctor about how I am feeling. This is today's entry:

200 mg at 7:30am - Go back to sleep until 9am. Go back to sleep again at 10:30am until 12:30pm = 13 hours of sleep, WAY too much!!! Get up and feel very tired, cannot wake up. Feeling very lazy and do not want to make my son anything to eat; give him cereal b/c it is all I can handle. I cannot clean my house. There are dishes and very messy every where which is not like me at all because I always keep my house very clean. Lights seem to be brighter and bother me a lot. I do not have much balance and have almost fell down twice today. My stomach hurts and when I stand up I feel like I am going to faint. I cannot deal with my son, I am way too tired and do not feel good, this makes me feel very guilty and like a bad mom. He is always loud and wanting something and I am feeling dazed and just want to sleep, do not want to be bothered with anything. I tell him to be quiet constantly. Sounds seem to be amplified and makes me explosively angry when something is loud. I feel more voilent than usual, more violent and agitated than before I started the medicine. I do not like this medicine and I do not want to take it anymore!! I want a medicine that calms my agitation but does not make me a zombie; I cannot take care of my son on this medicine.

Any suggestions? It is Saturday and will not be able to talk to the doctor until Monday about the dosage. I am really thinking about only taking this at night because I cannot take care of my son on this stuff. I am frustrated!!! Sorry this is long, any replies will be much appreciated. TT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: I'm New Here; Anyone on Seroquel??? (long)

Hello and welcome in. Glad to have ya.

Mudhound

Old 09-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
    Casey2
    (female)

Casey2 HB User

Hi,
    I have a friend who has been taking that medication for several years. She was taking it during the day as the doctor said she could take up to 4 pills daily. Now she only takes it at nite because she cannot stay awake.
    Good luck to you finding what you need to do to feel better and be able to take care of your son. He needs his Mom.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
    bipolarjon
    (male)

bipolarjon HB User

lithium 450 mg and 150 Wellbutrin at am
    150 Wellbutrin at3:00
    lithium 450 mg and 200 seroquel at night

Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
    chaser3968
    (female)

chaser3968 HB User

Hi! I just wanted to welcome you to the board. i do not take seroquel but i just wanted to welcome you. this board really can help you especially knowing others are going through the same thing as you.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
    ToughTimes
    (female)

ToughTimes HB User

Thank you everybody for your replies!! It feels really good to know that there are people that understand what I am going through!

Today I only took 100mg and I did fine all day. I was really calm and that helped out a lot. I talked to my Dr and he really wants me to take 200mg of Seroquel in the am and in the pm. I think that I might just take 100mg in the am and 300mg in the pm to sleep. I don't know if I should go against his advise. He says that my body will get used to the 200mg in the am but I am not so sure that I want my body to get used to that.

bipolarjon, thank you for telling me what you take in addition to the Seroquel. My Dr is thinking about adding Wellbutrin to the mix and I have heard good things about it.

Thank you again everyone!!

Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #7
    meljo
    (female)

meljo HB User

The thing you said that hit home was that you tried to get into your phy dr and couldnt. I understand that. My husband is still on the waiting list to see his to reajust his meds and it will be at least 3more weeks... It is a very frustrating system.. good luck dear..

Old 09-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
    babybearjenn

babybearjenn HB User

I have been on seroquel for 2 years. They started me out on 100mgs took it all the way up to 800mgs. Your dr is right, your body will get used to taking that much. My dr didnt care how I took the 800 I could do 200 in the morning and 600 at night or whatever i wanted as long as i took all of it, and took some of it in the morning. It is hard to get used to it will make you sleep and sleep and sleep. But it really helps with the symptoms, I just did what I could and now it doesnt make me sleep like it did in the beginning. What I did was start on 100 in the morning and made myself stay up then the rest around 8pm then didnt fight it and went to sleep between 9 or 10. Then a week later upped it to 200 in the morning and so on. Good Luck it does get easier with Seroquel
    Jenn

Old 09-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
    dragonprincess
    (female)

dragonprincess HB User

WElcome to the boards it really does help talking to every body hear going through the same things . I just had my son 3 months ago and trying to get back on somthingto help i'm falling in to a depressed state it was this board that helped me though my pregnacy thank you princess pea if your out there still .there are so many good people here .
    .ll

Old 09-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
    ToughTimes
    (female)

ToughTimes HB User

Thank you everyone! I am so happy that I found this board; I love it already meljo, you are so right about the system being frustrating. My doctor said he will get me on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist but it could take weeks. But at least he got me on some medicine to help out until then. I hope that your husband can get in soon!

Jenn, thank you so much for your reply! I am happy to find someone that also takes Seroquel in high doses. Do you take any other medication along with the Seroquel? My doctor said we may add Wellbutrin into the mix if I get depressed but I haven't been depressed for a while so hopefully we won't need to. They say that meds take a few weeks to start working but I already feel calmer after just one week on the Seroquel. I am up to 200mg in the am and 400 in the pm and you are right, I am not as tired as I was at first. I am hopeful for this medicine. Have you gained weight while being on the Seroquel?

dragonprincess, ((((Hugs)))) to you. I know how hard it is to be pregnant and also to be depressed afterwards. When I was pregnant with my son, I almost died. I was so depressed; I've never been that low ever. I could not talk and it hurt to move, I cried all the time. It was so horrible. I wanted to die but my baby kept me going. My son is 3 yrs old now and I would like to have another baby but I am so scared to be pregnant. I just don't know if I could survive that again. I really hope that your medicine will help and you will feel better soon.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:35 AM   #11
    kproy
    (female)

kproy HB User

Dear Tough Times, I take 100 mg of Seroquel just at night to help me sleep. I wouldn't even think of taking it during the day, I would fall over in a dead sleep.

As for the Wellbutrin... Be very careful with that. This is how we found out that I was BP. I was very depressed. Was put on Wellbutrin, and almost immediately flipped into a hypomanic state. I couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours a night. It was awful. So watch out. Kim

Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
    Heimat
    (male)

Heimat HB User

Hi TT---I'm a 59 yr old male...dx with Bipoar 2. I too, take Seroquel. Yes, it's used for sleep...BUT---it is also used as a mood stabilizer! It's a good med---very few side effects. No, your dose is not too high---my brother takes 800 mg a day .....So, hang in there---Best wishes --Heimat

Old 09-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
    ToughTimes
    (female)

ToughTimes HB User

Thank you Heimat! Your post makes me feel better. I really like the Seroquel b/c it calms me down. I am still having some problems with being tired by my doctor insists that I will get used to it and I really think that I am starting to. Do you get the dry mouth very bad? I do and it feels unbearable but I think it may be improving also.

Old 10-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #14
    overdoesit
    (male)

overdoesit HB User

My husband has been on this for about 2 months. Does not seem to be doing much of anything for him.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #15
    KAOSAZURE
    (female)

KAOSAZURE HB User
    Thumbs up Re: I'm New Here; Anyone on Seroquel??? (long)

IM ON SEROQUEL TOO 600 MG AT NIGHT ALSO. I WAS ON 25MG TWICE A DAY AND 3OOMG t night but i was too tireRED DURING THE DAY DO MY DOC MOVED ALL MY MEDS TO NIGHT AND ADDED ANOTHER 150MG BECAUSE I WASNT SLEEPING AT NIGHT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MEDS.

Closed Thread