It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Question about Topamax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
    giiiii21
    (female)

giiiii21 HB User
    Question Questions about Topamax

I have a couple of questions about this medication:~~

1. I have an eating disorder and i don't want to gain any weight on antidepressant/mood stablizers! So would topamax be good for me since i want no weight gain?

2. Also i'm obsessive compulsive aswell... would this help with that?

3. Is it okay to take Topamax with the birthcontrol Yasmin + Spiralactone??

4. And finally how long does it take for the drug to kick in?

Any replys would be much appreciated~~

Thanks =)

Last edited by giiiii21; 11-12-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
    Toby706
    (male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User
    Re: Question about Topamax

Hi g-

I can try to answer questions #1 and #4 for you. I have been on Topamax 100 mg for a couple years. I was put on it to "replace" the Depakote I had been taking, but I switched to an antipsychotic at the time and we(my doc and I) found the Topamax was making me lose weight(net weight loss of 10% of body weight). So he kept me on the Topamax-as for how long it takes for it to kick in, I had to start at 25 mg and work up from there weekly. I never got sleepy from this med, and I still don't-I did have some memory issues though...

Old 11-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
    giiiii21
    (female)

giiiii21 HB User

Thanks for you reply =)

Can a general practioner prescribe this drug for you? Or do you need the physchitrist??

Old 11-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
    Toby706
    (male)

hey g-

My psychiatrist prescribes my Topamax, I would think any doc could-it is an anticonvulsant(seizure med). I had a gen. practioner who wouldn't prescribe me Keppra, when I was without a psychiatrist-before I started Lamictal. Maybe only neurologist/psychiatrists prescribe anticonvulsants-good question-guess I gave ya a lousy answer.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:04 AM   #5
    giiiii21
    (female)

giiiii21 HB User

Thanks for your reply~~

i have bipolar disorder II.. my dr suggested lithium.. except i have an eating disorder and so i really don't want to take this med as i know it causes weight gain!! Would topamax be okay for this type? Thanks

Last edited by giiiii21; 11-15-2005 at 01:07 AM.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
    Toby706
    (male)

"Yo" g-

Pardon that, I'm a little wound up today!

Anyways, I am BP 1-so I probably am not the best to answer questions about BP 2(since when did we begin living all these labels, anyways?). Is BP2, the more depressive end of the spectrum???I know that Lithium has been my "cornerstone" of my med therapy for the course of my illness, but as I said earlier Topamax does have weight loss properties. Lithium did maintain the weight I gained with another drug-so I am not sure how much weight I gained from it. All depends on the individual. I really am curious myself about "how" Topamax does anything for mood, but I am yet a mere molecule in the landscape of what we convince ourselves is sanity.

Yet I take my 100 mg Topamax every day...

Old 11-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
    bintherdunthat
    (female)

bintherdunthat HB User

this is for the original message from giiiii21 ok, i have a couple of replies for you on the topamax... i just started using it about a year and a half ago... it originally started out as a migraine preventive,(now i use it as both a mood stabilizer and migraine preventive, but that is a whole nother story) and the first day that i took it, i noticed things (i started out on 25mg) i noticed the carbonation on everything seemed to be gone, which is one of the biggest side effects my neuro told me, and the tingling came a few weeks later... but the major one that was bugging me was that everything tasted flat. it also changed my tastes for alot of things...like certain things don't taste the same anymore. and as far as the weight loss, i lost alot of weight when i was on it cause i got up to 300 mg and it started to mess with my stomach, so i had to drop it down to 200 mg, and i stayed at that for awhile. as far as taking it with the birth control, it's fine, but I AM NOT sure if topamax is one of the meds that counter acts with it meaning it doesn't let the birth control work the way it is supposed to. as far as obsessive compulsive, you might want to talk to your dr about zoloft or paxil, cause i know those are used for obsessive compulsive, it says so on the insert and when you look them up on the net.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
    bintherdunthat
    (female)

bintherdunthat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toby706
    "Yo" g-

Pardon that, I'm a little wound up today!

Anyways, I am BP 1-so I probably am not the best to answer questions about BP 2(since when did we begin living all these labels, anyways?). Is BP2, the more depressive end of the spectrum???I know that Lithium has been my "cornerstone" of my med therapy for the course of my illness, but as I said earlier Topamax does have weight loss properties. Lithium did maintain the weight I gained with another drug-so I am not sure how much weight I gained from it. All depends on the individual. I really am curious myself about "how" Topamax does anything for mood, but I am yet a mere molecule in the landscape of what we convince ourselves is sanity.

Yet I take my 100 mg Topamax every day...
    i actually know for a fact that topamax helps with moods, i was on topamax 100mg, carbatrol 300mg, and wellbutrin xl 300mg) and then i thought that the topamax wasn't working for my migraines, so i wanted to try zonegran and i finally got my neuro to give me that, WELL, when i went off the topamax and went on the zonegran (which has nothing to do with mood stabilizing) i became depressed, my migraines actually got worse, so after about a month and a half of the horrible migraines and other things that zonegran did to me that i didn't like, i went back on the topamax. well, my b/f didn't know about the change in meds, and a couple days after i started back on the topamax, we got into a HUGE fight one night and these were his exact words, "what is your problem?? for the last month or last month in a half you have been acting like a TOTAL *****, and if you keep this up, i don't want to be with you." SO tell me how topamax doesn't work for your moods. oh and for the tingling that you get, eat bananas, it helps with that PS sorry i had to write all that pointless stuff, but i needed to put it so you could see what i was trying to get at in the end... NM, sorry

Old 11-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
    bintherdunthat
    (female)

bintherdunthat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by giiiii21
    Thanks for your reply~~

i have bipolar disorder II.. my dr suggested lithium.. except i have an eating disorder and so i really don't want to take this med as i know it causes weight gain!! Would topamax be okay for this type? Thanks

i hear that on the lithium, i had a dr once who tried to put me on lithium for a mood stabilizer and neurontin for whatever the hell that is used for, and i was like hell no! so needless to say, i never went back to her, and i went back to my old psychiatrist, who told me i could stay on the topamax, and gave me other things that don't cause weight gain... i am obsessive compulsive about my weight, like really bad. (and my psych knows this, so she worked with me on my meds)

Old 11-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Hi~

I've been taking the Topamax since 2002 for Bipolar II rapid cycling and an eating disorder. It rarely causes weight gain, and mostly will cause weight loss as a side effect if anything by about 20-50%, so if you have anorexia tendencies you will need to be monitored with your pdoc/MD. If you are bulimic, this medication will be very benificial to your ED. It has helped my bulima tremendously along with the rapid cycling.

When I first started taking the drug it took between 3-4 weeks for it to kick in. I lost about 25 pounds initially but I also had gained weight from the previous year, so I could afford to lose the weight. Be cautious about the weight loss because it can be very addictive as if you do start to lose weight, it really does effect your appetite.

I have changed my dosage again from taking it from nighttime to half dosage in morning-half at night time. And, again my appetite has decreased considerably. So, this drug is very potent to when you take it as well. It can cause severe drowsiness as well. DO NOT mix with alcohol. It heightens the side effects and can cause kidney problems due to dehydration.

You might inquire about the birth control pills through your pharmacist/pdoc. They will be the best person to help you determine whether or not if the birthcontrol pills need to be switched as if they will be effected by this drug. Some drugs are subdued due to the anticonvulsants effectiveness.

Hang in there... I hope you begin to feel better soon!

Coffeegirl~

Old 11-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #11
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi,
    I am in about the same boat - my pdoc wants to put me on both lamictal for refractory depression and topomox for eating disorder....I'm not to thrilled about either of them....I take LoEstrin 1.5/30 BCPs. As I understand it, the lamictal will not intefere but the topomax will make the BCP less effective....that also is not attractive to me....I have been taking seroquel for a week or so - It does nothing for the ED but seems to help my anxiety....don't know about depression, but have a friend who uses it for depression at really high doses.....
    Please keep us posted - I see the pdoc this afternoon...
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Old 11-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #12
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Again,
    Coffeegirl - what dose did you take the first 3-4 weeks during which time you lost 25 lbs?? I just gained 50 in 5 weeks on cymbalta and need to lose it now! It has made my severe depression 10 times worse....He started me at 50 mg/day - 25 mg 2 x day....I talked with my pharmacist about the interaction with BCP. I am not going to bank on this (i.e. I intend to use a backup method) but she said if you are taking a pill with 35 mcg of estrogen, you can take up to 200 mg of topomax without it interfering......I am almost 41 years old and in poor health so I am not taking any risks with this but I have to get my depression better or I will have to take medical leave soon from my job....My BCP has only 30 mcg (LoEstrin 30/1.5) so she suggested not going over 150 mg....Can you tell me what doseage you had to be at to lose significant weight? I need to lose the 50 and really 20 more after that - two years ago I gained 60 lbs while taking paxil....all my life I weighed 117 lbs until I was 37 and my health fell off a cliff.....thanks for your feedback!
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi All,
    Can you tell me if topomax will help with depression?? My pdoc wants to add lamictal but I would like fewer meds if poss....thanks!
    Kathy

Closed Thread