It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Mind blanks w lamictal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
    loopyturtle
    (female)

loopyturtle HB User
    Question Mind blanks w lamictal?

I have noticed lately as well as had pointed out to me (which means it is pretty noticable) that I have been having weird mind blanks. Forgetting words and stopping mid-sentence to try to figure out or remember what I was going to say. I also exchange words and say a different word than the appropriate one. Sometimes I don't even notice that one.

I had similar problems with Topamax, only much more severe. I stayed on it for quite a while, because things had been so bad mood-wise, and it was the first medication that actually helped me. This is a common side effect with Topamax -- I've heard it called stupamax for this reason). I remember one time while trying to make a doctor's appt. over the phone I couldn't figure out how to spell my first name, and it's only 3 letters long!

I haven't been able to find any references to this symptom as a side effect for the Lamictal, but as it is in the same class as Topamax, it makes me wonder . . . Seems that it is getting worse.

It scares me, because I have an opportunity to start school in March. I've been on a waiting list for over a year and don't want to screw it up.

Any insights, information or comments please?

--Loopy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Re: Mind blanks w lamictal?

Hmmm...I haven't noticed this, but then again, I take it for cyclothymia and OCD, not for actual bipolar disorder. What's your dosage? I'm only on 100, and it works wonders for me. My mood swings and intense irritability are lessened sooo much, something that an SSRI never did. I don't notice being any more spacy than I normally am! lol! Oh, and I'm a college freshman, and my Lamictal had just kicked in (after a month or so of increasing the dosage) a couple weeks before finals, and I didn't notice any concentration problems, but everyone's different. The reason is probably because it affects norepinephrine levels, the neurotransmitter responsible for concentration and alertness.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 01-01-2006 at 06:30 AM.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
    xxKitteNxx
    (female)

xxKitteNxx HB User

hi there, how much lamictal are you on? i am on 75 mg's. i also get mind blanks . it's kind of embarassing speaking to friends at times who dont know i have bipolar. although i am also taking a whack load of other meds, perhaps it is a side effect of all of my meds mixed together.

for now, i just take it as a laugh. "oops, lost my thought," or "damnit, my head just blanked out". i know it won't come back to me, but at least my moods are on check, and to me a little spaceyness is better than going to the hospital again.

as for school. i get doctor's notes constantly. explaining why i can't remember things for tests, or get homework in on time. they are really understanding. i get late waivers, absent waivers, homework extensions, i can leave class early, all notes from the doctors, they can't penalize you for having a medical condition. just be sure you communicate with your teachers and your doctors. when i first was diagnosed i wasn't sure if they would understand. but once you tell them they will be very helpful. even if it means taking extra class time after class to learn, write down, and remember the lesson that was taught. school can't punish you for having a disorder/disease. they will and should be helpful. at least in my experience.

i hope all goes well for you

KitteN

Last edited by xxKitteNxx; 01-03-2006 at 04:45 AM.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
    daisy-duke77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

I was misdiagnosed about 6 months ago, and was on Lamictal! This has to be the absolute worse drug i had ever been on! Lamictal actually made me worse. My pdoc would not take me off, so i went to my familly doc and she weaned me off. I have tried sooo many anti depressants in the past, and i am on Wellbutrin XL now, and it seems to work for me! I do suffer from a few disorder's BUT.........bipolar is not one of them......which i hear Lamictal helps with. My mind went blank all the time.....i had racing thoughts......couldnt stop talking.......walked in circles when on the phone.....truly the most bizaar drug! I have to say on a positive note, i did notice my depression "lift" a tiny tiny bit..............really not enough to stay on it though. Everyone reacts different to these med's. I just saw Lamictal and i had to comment.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

I am on 200mm per day, doing fine excepting the 'forgetting your keys' bit.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
    loopyturtle
    (female)

loopyturtle HB User

Thanks everybody. I have been sick, so haven't felt up to posting. Just a little lurking.

I take 300mg. It is the only thing that has worked for me (except for Topamax that made me completely stupid).

I just feel like I'm frying my brain sometimes . . .

Old 01-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
    silicea
    (female)

silicea HB User

I'm on Lamictal 200mg - for the past 3 months.

It certainly brought me down from my "highs" (I was just on antidepressants before) but it did nothing for my lows and I feel even more depressed now than I was. Every time when I complain to my doctor about it, he just puts me on a higher and higher dose. (Any suggestions what else to take?)

But as I was saying - and yes, I forgot what I was supposed to say - I also lose bits here and there. I forget the chain of thought, point of a conversation. But my friends and people at work got used to it - I always joke "I forgot what I was saying" or "I lost my thought" etc

And then I also do stupid things - like put milk into the cupboard and cornflakes into the fridge.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
    lmm23
    (male)

lmm23 HB User

Hi - Lamictal used to make me very anxious, and whenever I am anxious, my mind completely freezes and I can't think what I am doing, words are on the tips of my tongue, etc. So it might be that?!

Leon

Old 01-08-2006, 04:36 AM   #9
    daisy-duke77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

Could you sleep when taking Lamictal? That is another thing that happened to me....i didnt sleep for 3 months!!!! Even Ambiem didnt help. I was on 300mg, and my pdoc still wanted to keep me on this. I HAD to get off it....the sleep deprivation was killing me......amongst the forgetfullness and chatter box i had become. But like i said in my other post, everyone reacts diffrently to meds...........

Old 01-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi,
    My doc has me on lamictal and when I complained of cognitive troubles and anxiety he actually lowered my dose. He said some people notice a problem when going from 100 mg to 200 mg. So he took me back down to 100 mg. I do feel better with the lower dose. I am still waiting for it to help my depression. I just finished the ramping up period.....I take the whole 100 mg in the morning so it won't interfere with sleep....thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences....
    best wishes....

Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
    DontWannaBsick
    (female)

DontWannaBsick HB User
    Unhappy Re: Mind blanks w lamictal?

Hi, I wanted to know if anyone had noticed tummy aches with lamictal???? I JUST INCREASED MY DOSE TO 50MG TODAY AND FEEL LIKE I HAVE A TON OF AIR IN MY TUMMY. No i haven't eaten anything unusal to cause gas.

I'm going to keep increasing to 100mg. I just wish I would hear mre about this med. I have called several pharmacists at the big chain pharmacies and they don't know much about it. I used to be married to a pharmaqcist and he knew meds (new & old), like the back of his hand. I'm in the healthcare feild and have never administered this med to anyone. So any insight would be appreciated. I've done an internet search which did state that this med is new to bipolar and now they are starting to use it om post traumatic stress disorder pts. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

I started topomax and lamictal at about the same time and was ramping up slowly on lamictal but got up fast to 100 mg on topomax - I had terrible abdominal pains as you describe for the first few weeks, but no longer have that - I am now about seven weeks into the two - I am going off the topomax due to cognitive difficulties and am on 100 mg of lamictal and wellbutrin, but my doc would like me to try 200 mg again once I'm off the topomax....but I'm going to wait and see how the depression is and how the cognitive problems are.....
    best wishes....

Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
    DontWannaBsick
    (female)

DontWannaBsick HB User

Hi Kathy,
    I'm also on the wellbutrin and lamictal. I've been on them for a little over a week and was hoping to be feeling better by now. I just have to keep telling myself everyday is a new day and that may be the day, but it is taking forever to get here. Do you find your focus or concentration is any better with the wellbutrin than it was prior to you taking it???????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wxKathy2
    I started topomax and lamictal at about the same time and was ramping up slowly on lamictal but got up fast to 100 mg on topomax - I had terrible abdominal pains as you describe for the first few weeks, but no longer have that - I am now about seven weeks into the two - I am going off the topomax due to cognitive difficulties and am on 100 mg of lamictal and wellbutrin, but my doc would like me to try 200 mg again once I'm off the topomax....but I'm going to wait and see how the depression is and how the cognitive problems are.....
    best wishes....

Old 01-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #14
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Actually I have been on lamictal for two months now including the ramping up time....the wellbutrin was added just last week at 100 mg....and I think I do notice an improvement in my thinking....as for the depression - I am still waiting for it to abate - that is the hardest part - one of the other members here on the boards said they got worse on wellbutrin at first and then got much better.....so I am trying to hang in there - but it's hard to be patient when you're in pain isn't it.....at least we are not alone...right? How much wellbutrin are you taking? Hang in there.....and you're right - one day at a time - thanks for reminding me of that.....
    Take care,
    Kathy

Old 01-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Hey! I have been on Lamictal 200mg/day for the last 3 months--no issues with air, but i did get headaches while adjusting.

Hope all is well!!!

Closed Thread