It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Worried about taking diet pills whilst on depakote

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
    *Lai*
    (female)

*Lai* HB User
    Worried about taking diet pills whilst on depakote

I put alot of weight on on due to being on medication for bipolar (Depakote). I need to lose around 40-50lbs, but because of my extremley low self esteem and being really self concious, i cant get to my gym. I have a membership and i think i have been twice. I get too embarrased to be seen. I even hide away from realtives and friends and i find it hard to go out.

I'v tred to diet, but its like my body and mind have become programmed to eat, sometimes when i have nothing to do or i haven't ate much that day. i'l just go eat something, even if i'm not hungry.

So what i'm trying to ask is that, i need to lose all this weight and i want to try Meridia, but i am worried that it might interact with my depakote or it could make me go manic.

Does anyone know if this could happen? Is anyone on drugs for Bipolar and taking Meridia or any other diet pill? Do you think i need diet pills at the weight i am now?

I would really appreciate all the help i can get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Saw it, wanted it, threw a fit, Got It!!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
    *Lai*
    (female)

*Lai* HB User
    Re: Worried about taking diet pills whilst on depakote

Thanx huni, i was just hoping to my GP if i could take perscribed diet pills as a last reort because i am so unhappy and not able to go out. I might mention it to my psychologist to hear her opinion too, but i expect that i won't be able to go on them.

I did want to change my pdoc because i seriouly dislike her. She makes me feel so small and like i'm a bad person. But the problem is that i dont think the other pdocs are that good either. I had a small encounter with all of them when i was hospitalised. I'v also been told that my pdoc is usually the best one for young people my age.

I dont usually see her tho, shes always very busy and so i have to see someone who works for her, (like someone who is in traing to be a doc). They are sometimes much nicer than my pdoc, infact one was great and she listened to me and took my suggestions into account, but she was also pregnant at the time and i dont think shes coming back.
    I hve to nag to see my pdoc, which is only when i feel very low and want to do something about my treatment.

I dont think there really is anything i can do about my pdoc, i have to put up with her until i find a better one.

Thanx for your reply
    xx

Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
    littletimebomb
    (female)

littletimebomb HB User

Lai
    Don't worry. Finding a pdoc takes time. You'll find someone who is good for you and then you can stick with them. You'll also feel more comfortable changing meds if you have someone you really trust to listen to you and understand what you need.
    Be sure no matter what you think of your pdoc, tell them everything you take. I don't think diet pills are your solution, but I understand your dillema, it's part of the ilness and is very common. Low self esteem, eating when you're not hungry, not exercising... these are all symptoms of the illness. It's not that you need to control yourself, you are a strong willed person to have gone through that once before. You have an illness that is changing your habits and you don't need to let it win.
    Find a reason to walk somewhere once a day. Pick a grocery store farther away and walk or get a bicycle and try to visit every corner of your city on it. Keep a map. Be creative. Find things you love that motivate you. Use them to get you out the door and then reward yourself when you get there with something you like. It's amazing how good fresh fruit from a farmers market tastes after a few good miles on a bike.
    When you exercise more and stop eating sugar (I can't stress this enough!) you will find that fruits and vegetables taste better to you.
    Don't worry about your weight or anything else right now except findig a way to get healthy. The other things will fall into place.
    Seek Balance. Find Happiness.
    littletimebomb

Old 05-24-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
    littletimebomb
    (female)

littletimebomb HB User

Lai
    Don't worry. Finding a pdoc takes time. You'll find someone who is good for you and then you can stick with them. You'll also feel more comfortable changing meds if you have someone you really trust to listen to you and understand what you need.
    Be sure no matter what you think of your pdoc, tell them everything you take. I don't think diet pills are your solution, but I understand your dillema, it's part of the ilness and is very common. Low self esteem, eating when you're not hungry, not exercising... these are all symptoms of the illness. It's not that you need to control yourself, you are a strong willed person to have gone through that once before. You have an illness that is changing your habits and you don't need to let it win.
    Find a reason to walk somewhere once a day. Pick a grocery store farther away and walk or get a bicycle and try to visit every corner of your city on it. Keep a map. Be creative. Find things you love that motivate you. Use them to get you out the door and then reward yourself when you get there with something you like. It's amazing how good fresh fruit from a farmers market tastes after a few good miles on a bike.
    When you exercise more and stop eating sugar (I can't stress this enough!) you will find that fruits and vegetables taste better to you.
    Don't worry about your weight or anything else right now except findig a way to get healthy. The other things will fall into place.
    Seek Balance. Find Happiness.
    littletimebomb

Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
    Emerson80
    (female)

Emerson80 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by *Lai*
    I put alot of weight on on due to being on medication for bipolar (Depakote). I need to lose around 40-50lbs, but because of my extremley low self esteem and being really self concious, i cant get to my gym. I have a membership and i think i have been twice. I get too embarrased to be seen. I even hide away from realtives and friends and i find it hard to go out.

I'v tred to diet, but its like my body and mind have become programmed to eat, sometimes when i have nothing to do or i haven't ate much that day. i'l just go eat something, even if i'm not hungry.

So what i'm trying to ask is that, i need to lose all this weight and i want to try Meridia, but i am worried that it might interact with my depakote or it could make me go manic.

Does anyone know if this could happen? Is anyone on drugs for Bipolar and taking Meridia or any other diet pill? Do you think i need diet pills at the weight i am now?

I would really appreciate all the help i can get.
    I did take Meridia for awhile while on some meds. I did lose 60 pounds from it and also because of eating much better and excerising. I will be honest, I do think it made me more manic. I was able to get up at 5am, work out, go to work, and swim or run after work.

When I stopped the meridia, I had bad withdrawal problems. I felt sick to my stomach and had horrid headaches.

Now that I am not on it anymore, I have gained 75 pounds back. Which puts me around 215.
    I want to be able to work out again, but sometimes I can barely leave the house.
    I would like to get back to 150-140. But right now I am having to take it day by day with my meds.

Let me know what you decide.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
    *Lai*
    (female)

*Lai* HB User

I'm sorry to hear that you gained the weight back, its horible when that happens. How long were you on the medication for? Because it says that if you stay on it for upto 2 years and decrease it slowly and continue with your good eating habits, then you can possibly keep the weight off.

If you dont mind me asking how dis you gain the weight back?

I'm not sure, but is it common to gain the weight back?

Thank you, and i wish you all the best with trying to lose weight, stick in their.

xx

Old 05-24-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
    Emerson80
    (female)

Emerson80 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by *Lai*
    I'm sorry to hear that you gained the weight back, its horible when that happens. How long were you on the medication for? Because it says that if you stay on it for upto 2 years and decrease it slowly and continue with your good eating habits, then you can possibly keep the weight off.

If you dont mind me asking how dis you gain the weight back?

I'm not sure, but is it common to gain the weight back?

Thank you, and i wish you all the best with trying to lose weight, stick in their.

xx
    I went on effexor and that seemed to be the curse! No matter how much I watch my diet... it doesn't matter. Also birth control does not help!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
    *Lai*
    (female)

*Lai* HB User

Yeh, i heard BC can make you gain alot of weight. Thats strange about Effexor, because i was on it for about 4-5 months and i didnt gain any weight, they did however, almost drive me crazy by hullicinatiions and nightmares, but i didnt gain.

I'm sorry to hear that you cant lose wewight even by watching your diet. Have your tried alittle exercise to maybe give your metabolism alittle boost.

I cant get myself to go to the gym, so i do alittle bit at home, like jump rope (altho lack of space makes it alittle difficult). I'v also been waiting months for my achilis tendon to heal, which i dont think will .

Take Care

xx

Closed Thread