It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Seroquel Problems - Does this happen to anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
    tnkwilli
    (female)

tnkwilli HB User
    Unhappy Seroquel Problems - Does this happen to anyone else?

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II. I am on Effexor XR and Seroquel. They both are working well BUT...

I take Seroquel between 9:30pm - 10:30pm every night. It knocks me out in about an hour so if I am out somewhere (especially on weekends) I either need to take the Seroquel while I am out and rush home before the hour is over or take it later.

The problem is, the later I take it, the harder it is to wake up in the morning. If I take it later than 11:00pm - forget it, I'll never wake up in time. So I figure I won't take it at all for the evening. When I go without it I have terrible insomnia - which I have NEVER experienced before taking this med!

I am so scared that now I'll have to take this drug forever or I'll never sleep again without a sleepaid! What should I do? Does this happen to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
    gotitbad
    (female)

gotitbad HB User
    Re: Seroquel Problems - Does this happen to anyone else?

Hi. I hope I can help a little. In order to sleep well I need Seroquel, Lithium, Topamax and Lorazepam. I take them at 9 and fall asleep by 10. I don't go out much so it usually isn't a problem. If I do go out and take them later, I too need to sleep later in the morning or wake up very tired. You may want to check with your doctor, but I have cut the Seroquel, Topamax and Lorazepam in half once in a while to reduce their affect for a night, but still be able to fall sleep and stay asleep. In terms of always eing dependent on a sleep aid, I don't really worry about it. I know I'm diagnosed bipolar which will reqire meds for the rest of my life. I'm resigned to the fact that "sleep aids" probably go along with that unfortunately. Maybe your pdoc could answer that for you though. Also I never skip a dose of medication totally!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
    kiehn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kiehn HB User

Ive tried it but i cant take it. It didnt have that effect on me, however just like in life it seems we always have to compromise here or there. Consider some alternatives,
    ideas's like only taking a half a tablet on late nights, or take benadryl (a sleep aid as well as for allergies). Sometimes meds change our normal patterns, unfornately it's just one of the draw backs. The other thing you could do is explain your situation and ask your doctorfor a mild seditive type sleep aid. Good luck, K

Old 06-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
    sarahbear2555
    (female)

sarahbear2555 HB User

I'm currently taking seroquel because I have really bad insomnia. I also take a lot of other meds too.
    I take 200 mgs at night and it does knock me down although not as much as it used to. If you just started taking it, I would give it a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. I also would strongly suggest that you go to bed earlier and at the same time every night. This was a diffacult adjustment for me because I was used to going to bed after midnight. I too have trouble waking up in the morning. I go to bed around 930 every night and wake up around 8. That's almost 12 hours of sleep. It sucks that I sleep so much but it's better than suffering from my symptoms.
    Just give it some time and hang in there. Your body should adjust and if not don't be afraid to speak with your doctor she/he may try you on something else if the seroquel doesn't work. Good luck to you,
    Sarah

Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #5
    cookikim71
    (female)

cookikim71 HB User

I have been on seroquel for a long time. but after a couple weeks it lost the side effect of making me sleepy I was taking 200mg in the am and 400mg in the pm. but I have talked to people that are much larger than me, in fact this one guy is 200to help sleep pound big muscle guy 50mg puts him out within 1/2 hour. no joke. I just took my 200mg at bed time now does not affect me. I take restoil to help me sleep so i will be leaving soon. sometime the side affect will go away.

Last edited by cookikim71; 06-17-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
    bpmother
    (female)

bpmother HB User

hi,
    my son is 11 and we had to start him out real small amy of seroqueol in the morning then wait to raise it now the dr has him on 150mg in morning then 150mg at night.. and it used to make him real tired at beginning and now he has been on it for almost 8 months and my son has adhd so he is an active one still.. he can go to bed at 9pm and always up at 6or 7am in morning and then running all day he is on also stratterra that helps w the adhd but the thing is he had to urinate a lot at the beggining.. still is during the evening..but i like how these meds are helping.. and we have been through all the stimulants and nothing works for his hyperness and if it does he gets real angry on them.. thats why strattera helps since its a non stimulant. does that happen to anyone else too while on these meds or a combination of meds? the dr said that is a very rare thing to urinate on any medicine?? thanks..,

Closed Thread