It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Meds are not working need advice.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
    Strawberry.hill
    (female)

Strawberry.hill HB User
    Unhappy Meds are not working need advice.

I have been on Lexapro (10 mg) for since a month ago, and it's not working. I actually think I am now worse off. I am always tired and I feel fat. I have been so sleepy. I had 3 or 4 good days, the rest, I was either tired or depressed and tired.

By the way, not to be graphic or anything, but my bobbies are getting big, and they hurt. It feels like sharp pain inside. Almost like someone bit me, it comes and goes, like muscle spasms would. I don't really mind them growing, but I am afraid the rest of me is also expanding. I am afraid to weigh myself.

The doctor had diagnosed me Cyclothymic, and most of my problem was the lack of energy and motivation. I was tired very often and had to make myself do things that usually would not be a problem. Sometimes even small tasks would feel overwhelming.. I had a few "up days", probably one every 2 weeks or something like that. That's when I would catch up with everything I left for later, like cleaning my room and writing letters. Sometimes I could kick myself for leaving bills for later too. Lately the "up days"had become more rare.

The doctor prescribed the Lexapro, and then he got to return home.
    I have a new doctor now, and he saw me when I had one of those 3 good days. He just gave a month's worth of pills and told me I'll get better. He did not talk to me much, and he did not have time for me to talk to him.

Today I asked for another appointment this coming wednesday to see if he would change my medication.

I've been reading through the posts, and it seems that Wellbutrin is probably the best choice. I really don't want to get fat, and my sex drive is not what I would like it to be. It seems that my other choices (Paxil or Effexor) are mostly used for depression, and there are several posts claiming weight gain on them.

I spoke to a medic here, he said that of all the people they have given Wellbutrin to, (he said every day they used to pass out many bottles to different soldiers that wanted to quit smoking). Only one had seizures, and he was also taking some kind of dietary suppliment powder. The kind the guys use to build muscle mass.

I gain weight very easily, and have a really hard time losing it, if at all. I used to take weight loss shakes, but with the meds, I don't want to risk mixing and matching chemicals and all.

By the way, I am also a very nervous person; I have this terrible need to eat out of being nervous. So now I carry a cup of cereal so I won't eat candy constantly. My nails are all gone again, and I keep pulling my hair and scratching my face. I'm amazed I have not started pulling my eyebrows too! (ha, ha)

I would appreciate your advise. Thanx!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
    lilmsmagic
    (female)

lilmsmagic HB User
    Re: Meds are not working need advice.

It sounds to me as if you know what you are talking about. Are you that in depth with your dr about your symptoms? If not, just leaving out one tiny detail could make a big difference in what he prescribes you. I have had bipolar for 16 years now, im only 34, but i have taken every type of medicine out there. its like my body becomes immune to them after a while. I also have tricycular mood disorder, where I swing moods easily and often. I have my "up" MOMENTS and not 'up" DAYS. I used to be anorexic, so I am very concerned with my weight when I start a new med. Depakote will pack the pounds on pretty fast. Im on Effexor XR, have been for about 5 years now. No weight gain at all. I take 187.5mg a day. Topamax is really great, it'll help you to lose weight! Great Med. The only problem is side effects. My tounge always felt like there were hairs growing on it. And it made my hands and feet feel like they were always going to sleep. If you are willing to suffer with side effects, its good. I just couldnt handle it. I lost 15 lbs on it though. Did your Dr. also tell you that you need atleast 30 minutes of exercise everyday. Its really great for your mind. Prozac is really good too. Even though people have blamed it for making people do stupid stuff, I took it for about 4 years and I would take it again if my body would let me. Each person reacts different to each drug. So just b/c one person does good, you may not. The wellbutrin sent me into having panic attacks.(i wish that on no one). I wont even go near the drug. But alot of people sing its praises. Why dont you ask your dr to refer you to some one who specializes in treating people with depression/bipolar. Even though its usually a Psychiatrist(sp?), you dont lay there on a couch and tell them your prob. They deal with this stuff 10 times a day, every day! That may be your best bet. Sorry this was so long. Let me know how it goes. Best Wishes

Old 06-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
    Strawberry.hill
    (female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you. No, the doctor I have now did not really ask me anything but "how are you doing", then cut me off as I was trying to answer, with "you will get better, I'll just keep you medicated until you go home" and started writing the prescription.

I am in the Army here, and don't have much of a choice but to research the meds myself. They have much more serious problems than me. They have soldiers who have serious issues and traumas. It is actually hard to get an appointment, the schedule is so full. I understand they want to get you healthy enough where you can do your job, and then help the next person.

This board is so far my main source of information and support. I really appreciate all the help and advice. I don't feel so alone. This web site has helped me so much, and saves time.

I did try Prozac once for temporary use for depression, but it made me huge and made me feel pregnant. I felt so bad, because I have been trying to get pregnant, and I got my hopes up. I felt so bad to find out it was just the side effects. I was huge, and I could not stomach much food. I was living on hot pockets and soup. I was still depressed, and craved wierd stuff. SO I stopped using it.

Thank you for the information
    Strawberry

Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
    lilmsmagic
    (female)

lilmsmagic HB User

well, is there anyway that myself or anyone else on these boards can help you or get you information that you need? Maybe some one on here was in Irag b4 and could let you know of something that you didnt know of.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
    gotitbad
    (female)

gotitbad HB User

Different people have varied reactions to every drug! I have been of 5 antidepressants and currently take Zoloft 200mg. It works great with no side affects for now. Effexor worked well for me for a long time, but than I got really manic so my pdoc took my off of it very slowly and switched my to Zoloft very slowly. The key is to be patient and keep trying new drugs until you feel as "normal" as possible without weight gain. You do need to go on and off slowly or you can have terrible withdrawl and become severly depressed. Also, it usually takes a month or two to get stablized on the med., so give it time to get into your system before switching too quickly. Good luck. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to be in Iraq and feel sick and alone. I'm so glad you found this board. I know other tramas may seem important, but bipolar can be life-threatening too. Stick up for yourself and be sure you are on meds that are helping you. You deserve it. Thanks for serving our country, especially in your condition!

Old 06-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Strawberry

I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time. The things you have mentioned I can totally relate to as I too, have been in your shoes with the med problem and weight gain.

My twin sister is taking Lexapro, and she too, has gained weight with it. For her, she stayed on it as it is working for her. All drugs effect each person differntly. Keep that in mind. It sounds like the drug is doing a complete number on you, and your pdoc needs to be aware of that and how much it has effected you mentally and physically so changes can be made.

Wellbutrin is an excellent drug. I take Wellbutrin XL and have for quite a long time. It can cause seizures but rarely. I take the highest dosage possible, and I am a high risk person for a seizure as well as I have an eating disorder. My pdoc watches me closely with the meds and mental issues to prevent any seizures from occuring. Stress is the key component along with keeping hydrated and eating right. Wellbutrin has low sexual side effects, which makes for a more normal life which is uncommon with most meds out there. I've taken Paxil and Prozac. If I had to choose, I'd take Wellbutrin over the other two. The other two cause weight gain and cause low libido.

I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Nothing worse than feeling rotten when you know you have the ability to feel much better.

Take care of yourself until the appointment. Don't beat yourself up. That is hard to do, and I have to remind myself that all the time.

Many hugs

Coffeegirl

Old 06-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
    kiehn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kiehn HB User

Strawberry
    Im sorry to hear you're having problems. Maybe I misunderstood, but all the meds you mentioned are all antidepressants. Welbutrin and Effexors will not casue weight gain. However as others have mentioned everyone reacts different. Welbrutrin put me into high agitation. My youngest daughter takes effexor, she's mild bipolar and it works great, but one day without it and she turns into a monster and she tell you so, it kind of funny but not. As for the breast symptoms Im not sure if lexapro can cause that but I do know first hand pregnancy can. Here's another natural supplement good for depression and also helpful for weight loss. It's cal HTP-5 you can get it at the health food store and it's a nutural supplement, not man made like our prescriptions. Got any more funny army
    stories, lol. Hang in there, K

Last edited by kiehn; 06-24-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
    Strawberry.hill
    (female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you so much for caring! Well, I cannot feel that miserable, when I get frustrated I remind myself that the Army is going to take care of me, I don't have to worry about the doctor or the medication, it's covered. I just need to squeeze in the time to go see him.

I don't feel bad today, and I had some coffee, so I am awake. In two days I will start going back to the gym. Our patrol supervisor is going to give us some time to go excersise a few times a week. We will try to work with it as we go. We will be going in groups, so it will be easier.

Coffee girl, I just wanted to say I always thought having a twin would be so exciting, that just caught my attention. I don't have any brothers or sisters, except for the ones the Army assigned me to.

I really appreciate all the help and support you are giving me. If I have any more questions I will ask, thanks for offering lilmsmagic. You guys are so understanding and so helpful.

Right now a medic offered to find a Psychologist that can speak to me, so I think that may go well if I can find the time.

On tuesday I am going to the Psych. I just hate that the appointment is during the middle of my sleepy time. But I gotta do it.

Thanks again.
    Starwberry

Old 06-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
    Strawberry.hill
    (female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

By the way the symptoms you say may be from pregnancy? I have been trying to get pregnant for about 5 years already. Nothing. We only have tried the natural way, I don't want to mess with nature or play God. We just want to wait until it's God's time.

We keep praying about it, but I really don't expect anything. I am so tired of getting broken hearted every time I think it may work this time, and then I get my period again. It was nerve wracking, so I stopped. But yes, it's still in the back of my mind, I just hate to go through teh part where I get my hopes up, get a test, and again, nothing.

I was told that it's all in my head, that my mind tricked my body or something. I think I just wanted to believe that I was, so I fooled myself again.

We are now thinking that when we get back, once we get settled, we can look into adoption. I already started researchin git because it makes me feel hopefull.

SOrry to ramble on.
    Strawberry

Old 06-25-2006, 02:25 AM   #10
    fallen_angel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fallen_angel HB User

hi strawberry
    like the other posters, i can totally relate to what you're saying, especially as i am also recently diagnosed and currently trying to find the right meds.
    its so frustrating when a med isnt working and makes you feel worse physically and mentally when you just want to get well!! ive been bouncing off the walls recently on a (bad) combination of paroxetine and lithium which my general doctor put me on. am now coming off the paroxetine under the guidance of my pdoc, but boy have i felt ill. i can relate to what you say about the hair pulling too, because when i get nervous or my mind races i pull my eyelashes out, and am now missing half of them on one side which looks great when i come to put my mascara on, lol. as for the breast pain, i experience this all the time on paroxetine, which is an ssri. my boobs are constantly sore and swollen, my doctor said its because it contains prolactin which is a hormone which causes production of breast milk.so i do know meds can cause this, but i know how much you want a child and my heart goes out to you as i feel the same. i agree with you that the right time is chosen for us, and perhaps we are meant to get completely well first. but if this is being caused by pregnancy i would be so happy for you as i know how much it would mean to you.
    my advice would be to hang in there because like some of the other posters have mentioned, not all meds suit everyone and it can take a ong time to find a combination that suits you both physically and mentally, from my own experience i find that most side effects tend to pass within the first couple of months once your body is adjusted. make sure you talk openly to your pdoc and get all the support and guidance you need. dont give up!!

Last edited by fallen_angel; 06-25-2006 at 02:28 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #11
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Strawberry

(((HUGS)))

I know what you are going through with trying to have a baby. DH and I tried for many, many years as well before adopting our two boys. We adopted our boys both when they both just turned two years old. They now are 6 and our oldest will turn 7 in 3 weeks. They are non-sibling brothers from the same orphanage in Russia.

My twin sister and her husband adopted a little girl. She was just a year old when they adopted her. She is now four years old. She was adopted her in the US.

Don't lose hope with ttc. Take some time for you when possible, and do things you enjoy to get your mind off of it. Talk to your friends and family as they can help you a lot with support. Journaling also helps too.

You will be in my prayers and thoughts.

Take care Strawberry

Many hugs-

Coffeegirl

Last edited by coffeegirl2; 06-25-2006 at 07:28 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
    Strawberry.hill
    (female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

If you don't mind me asking Coffee girl: How hard is it to adopt? We are not rich people, we have enough to be comfortable, but we are not very exciting. Meaning we don't have the thousands of dollars some adoption places charge for just starting the paperwork. We don't have thousands to "buy" a child, besides that sounds just wrong.
    The one orphanage I checked in 1995 charged $30,000 just to get the paperwork started, so I lost interest, and hope.
    How do you research orphanages?
    I am trying to find info on adoption at the Navajo reservation in Arizona/New Mexico. A friend of mine is trying to find me the info on how to go about it.
    I am just afraid it's really difficult.

I know we are not ready yet, but it may take years on a waiting list before we get anywhere, so I want to find out. Just gathering info doesn't hurt, and actually gets my hopes up.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Going through any local 'state' is not going to cost $30,000. It costs under $8,000 or less (est.?) plus you get a tax break for $3,000-$5,000/child the following year with your taxes. This is something you would have to discuss with your tax person so they are aware of what is going on and could make sure you wouldn't lose out on it.

Some states have legal issues for the birth parents. You might want to check this out before you decide which state you decide on. Some birthparents still will have legal rights up to 6 months after the adoption is finalized (like in my state is 6-9 months). Each state has their own adoption rulings. Check it out. I know that in CO once the adoption is finalized the birthparents lose legal rights. That is what I know about that state. In my state it isn't that way. The birthmom has legal rights 6 months after the adoption, but most of the states aren't like mine when it comes to adoption anymore. And, remember- there are 50 states!

By the way, I have the cutest niece you ever could have. She is so darling that I bet she could win a beauty contest some day. She looks like a doll, and she is so precious. I just love visiting her and wish they lived closer to me and my family.

I had better get going.

Take care and good luck doing your searches!

Coffeegirl

Old 06-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #14
    Strawberry.hill
    (female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you, I will make sure I ask about these laws. I was asking about the Navajo, and it's looking good. They require that you teach the child about the culture and keep in touch with the reservation, which I would love to do. I just don't know about the rights you mentioned, I will ask.
    Thanks so much for your advise.
    Strawberry

Closed Thread