It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Have just read book "The Mood Cure" By: Julia Ross

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
    NanaLibby
    (female)

NanaLibby HB User
    Exclamation Have just read book "The Mood Cure" By: Julia Ross

All meds to date for 7 yr old ADHD/PTSD/bipolar issues have been a disaster. From clonidine-ritilin-adderall-straterra-respiradal... All made things worse. They want to try an antipsychotic (Serequil) !! Nuts!! Done with meds!

Reading this book has confirmed that meds for little kids are not the answer. Feeding their brain is. After holding off on meds for years they almost convinced me. The medical establishment needs to take a better approach than meds only! We need to fight for our kids rights to natural alternatives and the doctors who will help us feed their brain rather than dope them up.

Finding allergies to soy, milk, maybe wheat seems to be taking us in a positive direction. This book has been the one I've been looking for all along.

Anyone moving along these lines of thought?

Last edited by NanaLibby; 08-24-2006 at 09:29 AM. Reason: to copy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
    Re: Have just read book "The Mood Cure" By: Julia Ross

With all due respect, let me ask you a question:

If your child had Type I Diabetes would you refuse to give him Insulin? Would you insist that it was "just an allergy"?

I cannot speak to the adhd/ptsd, but Bipolar Disorder is a Chemical Imbalance - an actual physiological disorder - of the Brain. The brain is just as entitled as any other organ of the body to have something wrong with it that needs medication.

I have always spoken up when the "no medication" flag goes up.
    The dangers of people going off their meds wreaking havoc in their lives & the lives of their loved ones is too serious for me to be anything but blunt.

One book is just that. One book. I hope that you will continue to read (just as I will) both sides of a premise.
    My apology's if this seemed strongly worded. I'd hate to see people decide to throw out their meds for a fringe diet on a supposition....
    Ruth

Old 08-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
    NanaLibby
    (female)

NanaLibby HB User
    Re: Have just read book "The Mood Cure" By: Julia Ross

Ruth,
    Acknowledge your concerns. I was "diet will fix this" mentality 30 years ago (Feingold.) (I brought up 2 ADHD sons and lived with a bipolar husband for 32 years) However, this child is far more effected than his father was! My theory was not sufficiently helpful for him. So I went the Dr's route and put him on clonidine at age 3 1/2 then tried 4 more drugs over a one year period.

Here's a "progressive" list of the behavior problems (over a 27 day period) presented to the doctor after Gavin started taking Strattera. This list is versus the usual "stubborn and difficult" laced with some of these behaviors on a milder and intermittent basis. This list portrays a constant display of "progressively worstening" behaviors that I added to daily.

Angers easily
    Stomache pains
    Awake till 10:00 PM
    Escalates quickly
    Argues over everything
    Eats everything in sight
    Mean - teases - taunts
    Nightmares more like night terrors
    Thrashes around in bed - shouts out loud
    Hypervigilent - wakes up way too early
    Can't go to sleep - up till midnight
    Unreasonable - ugly natured
    Wild eyed - lashes out
    Refuses to follow rules
    Laughs at us - says "no way"
    Runs away from us - reckless
    Refuses to accept bounderies
    Negative attitude
    Defient - reckless
    Inflexible - Determined to do it his way
    Wants total control
    Kicks-bites-swears-yells-throws things
    Hits himself - says he's stupid
    Consequences do not matter
    Says he doesn't care
    Intrusive - insistent - uncooperative
    Won't take NO for an answer
    Can't control himself
    Total "meltdowns"
    Wetting the bed (again)
    Hypersexual behaviors

(These behaviors lasted for several weeks after I stopped giving him the Strattera.)

Respiridal. (2 days) 2nd night he itched all over. It was like a worm on a hotplate for hours!

Now they want me to give him seriquil. Side effects include neuroleptic malignant syndrome (muscle rigidity), tardive dyskinesia (uncontollable movements). It raises the chance for diabetes, kidney failure, cardiovascular disease. No way, Jose! Done with meds!!! They just made things worse in the long run. (Doctor's comment "Maybe they didn't work because of the bipolar issues in the background". My Lord, they don't even know why these drugs DO WORK, let alone why they DON'T!) This "med only" mentality of these doctors has got to change.

In retrospect: Strattera CAUSED these "psychotic behaviors" so now we should give him yet another drug to control what NOW looks like psychotic behavior! No mention that perhaps the strattera "caused the psychosis!" Absolute insanity!

This is not the first book I've read nor will it be the last, but Rispiridal is the last drug he'll take till he's old enough to monitor his own reactions.

I gave in to their drugging mentality" while still holding strong conviction to a more natural approach. This book goes far deeper into the the why's of the diet than Feingold ever immagined. It explains why the problem exists, how the drugs work and why they don't work or stop working as well as how the foods eaten effect the various bodily functions (chemical reactions of various foods).

I have come to look at ADHD (mood disorders) as a form of diabetes....Consider the effect of insulin on the entire system, including the brain. It is one of the key factors, hence the strong response to sugar for many ADHD kids. This book will tell you so much that you will be exstatically happy you read it even if you continue to medicate your child. This book says that if meds are working for your child, they will work BETTER when you apply this knowledge! No supposition.

Thanks for your response Ruth. I really do appreciate the chance to address your concerns and hope the best for you and your child. We have such battles to fight for these kids. Without us they would be lost and continue in agony. Each battle is as unique as each child. Keep an open mind and realize that there is more than one approach (and opinion) to all circumstances and issues. That's what makes our battles, those won and ost, so important to share. We will hopefully learn from each other and eventually win the war.
    Best wishes, and please lets keep in touch on this issue because I'm still learning. Nana Libby

There is a better way and you are right. One book, one try, one viewpoint, one experience will not work. I've tried both sides and realize it is far more complicated than sugar and red dye. T

The "drugging record" for these parents speaks for itself. I've been trying it their (Drs.) way for better than three years. The "list" of psychotic behaviors" has decreased dramatically since this child came off all drugs and has been eating a healthier diet which is high protein and "good carbs".
    The diet approach is a great deal more difficult than popping a pill each morning. But the book does not say stop the drugs. It actually supports the drug theory. Don't discount this as just another book. It's not. The info in it is astounding and well worth the read if one is seriously trying to help a child through one of the most difficult alleys in any child's life.
    NL

Last edited by moderator2; 08-28-2006 at 08:16 AM. Reason: promoting other forum(s)

Closed Thread