It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Noise Intolerance / Irritability

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
    wduke22
    (female)

wduke22 HB User
    Noise Intolerance / Irritability

Is this mania, hypomania, or part of a depression?

I am irritated by noises that disrupt quiet when I am trying to do something that requires concentration on my part such as work on the computer or listen to the TV. Because I work at home and work on the computer this happens alot. Actually these noises will bother me most anytime because I am always trying to do something and I can only concentrate on one thing at a time now (I think due to the meds I am on for chronic pain - not sure, it might just be the bipolar).

Here are some examples: dog drinking water out of bowl, dogs walking around on wood floor (the sound of their nails clicking on the wood), sounds of someone else in the house eating, snoring, rocking in a chair, stuffy nose sounds, someone else typing on another computer, almost any kinds of noises that occur in a house.)

I can only stand a 'noise' for about 2 seconds and then I just start to go well whacko, I start to have a physcial reaction, heart rate goes up, and I get irritiated that it is interrupting me as I can no longer continue what I am doing. The noise itself is amplified to me, as if it is the only thing I can hear, I really think my brain makes it sound louder that it is.

Anyway, at about 5 seconds I am ready to yell because I am so irritated. When these things happen I try to hold back especially if I know it is a noise that is going to end, like the dog drinking water, then I will hold my breath or tap my fingers on the table, but even in the case of the dog drinking out of the bowl for 10 seconds it feels like forever. Other times I will just sigh and try deep breathing but if I am alone with the dogs I often will end up yelling and screaming at them like a raging idiot (my poor dogs - one of the dogs luckily is deaf). With my human companions I usually don't say anything or yell (however they are aware of the situation, believe me). I often put these huge headphones on (they are made for working outdoors like on a tractor so they really help keep the sound out if you turn on the stereo radio, but the problem is I have trouble working with the headphones on listening to the radio as it bothers my concentration too, just not as much as these little noises. I tried ear plugs but then I hear the noises of my body (heart and breathing) and that is even worse.)

Ok, I know this sounds silly, but I feel I have found the right place to bring this up. This is a terrible problem for me that started up about 6 months ago. I do take several quasi-bipolar meds as a result of being treated for chronic pain but from those I haven't really gotten anything to make it better yet. I did start geodon a few days ago, however I have not spoken of this particular problem (or others) to my doctor as I am still trying to figure out what is bipolar about me and what is not, what is drug induced and what is not. This problem started I believe when I started another med.

Anyway, my family members have done things to accomodate my problem with noise and concentration although they have no idea of what the problem is, basically when I am working they go into other rooms in the house and try to leave me alone. This helps but I can still hear them making noises if they are anywhere in the house. (There is no separate room I can work in for now either.)

So is this the irritability part of mania, or of depression? Does it have a specific term? (Like racing thoughts or pressured speech? - I know it is not either of those, but is the a term for this?). Currently I do not know which state I might be in. At times I think I am terribly depressed and at others not. I just came out of a 2 year period of being in terrible physical pain and that was all I could focus on, now that is not so much a problem.

Thanks for any answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
    bothered
    (female)

bothered HB User
    Re: Noise Intolerance / Irritability

OH... MY... GOD! This is exactly how I feel. I've been trying to find out what's causing it for years to no avail.

I think I've always been like this. My family walks on eggshells around me. I do have Graves Disease, and have had problems with depression (possibly BP II) and anxiety. I've never found the solution to alleviating the irritability. It's so maddening and absolutely ruins life. I get anxiety when someone in the house reaches for food or drink. But there are so many examples, I couldn't possibly list them all.

Sorry to say, the only thing that has lessened the intolerance/irritability is drinking/drugs. I hate to resort to that, but that's all that's ever helped take the edge off. I honestly don't think I could stand being alive if I didn't have that escape.

No doctor ever seems to understand the problem. I don't even know what kind of doctor would/could address this. PLEASE... if you ever figure out something that works or have any insight, let me know. I'm so desperate for relief. I'm tired of living a life of avoidance.

Good luck to you.
    Sue

Old 02-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
    Live_for_music
    (female)

Live_for_music HB User

I think its the mania - I have the same problem. Certain noises set me off more than others. For instance, I was sitting outside at the starbucks one afternoon attempting to do my crossword and this lady was sitting behind me. She was feeding the birds her scone while making these HORRID kissing noises. I wanted to scream at her, but my partner attempted to engage me in conversation so I would not do something so rude. I tell ya, coping is a daily struggle. But you are not alone!

Last edited by Live_for_music; 02-14-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
    wduke22
    (female)

wduke22 HB User

Yes, Sue if I find an answer, something that helps it I will let you know. I am starting to tirate up on some meds and will let you know if they help. It is maddening and for me I keep thinking something is wrong with my brain as I didn't use to be this way. I had a 2 brain scans, the first one found a little something but the second one revealed something slightly abnormal but it turned out it was what they call a normal variant and it has been there all my life, it explains my headaches but not this noise intolerance thing or whatever it's real name is.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
    teresa2007
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teresa2007 HB User

Hey wduke,
    I have the same problem too, I can only concentrate on one thing at a time and if i hear a noise i get very irritable but i never thought of it being a problem i thought it was just me! so i thought that was interesting! Hope someone has some info on that! Tee

Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
    MTB2
    (female)

MTB2 HB User

I am like that when I am manic, my mania is irritability. I haven't found anything that helps except for my husband to take the dog and the kids far away!

I hate the overstimulation, because it always leads to the dreaded rages.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
    CarenR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CarenR HB User

My daughter who is an adult has Bipolar and when she is Manic she is irritable

Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
    marshmallow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marshmallow HB User

This may have absolutely no connection but I read somewhere that people with ADD are eaxtremely sensitive to noise and they have a hard time concentrating. Just a thought.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
    harmony06
    (female)

harmony06 HB User

i've have gone through many different periods in my life when i was like that. i would get really really irritalbe for the least little noise. my husband had to take the kids out to play or out visiting so that i could calm down. it has always come and gone and at different extremes. sometimes it could last days or weeks at a time. sometimes even months. it was all i could do to try to control it. it doesn't happen as often now that my husband and i live alone, although sometimes with the dog walking across the floor or lapping water, it still irritates the hell out of me. i don't know if this is manic or not but i always felt that i was very short tempered and it was just me.

good luck all hope things get better for all of us

Old 02-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
    sharonamy
    (female)

sharonamy HB User

am so relieved!!! cant believe im not diagnosed yet. this is great. my daughter has to suck her crisps at certain time. this is why i drink alcohol cos then i dont hear her!!!! i never listen to the radio cos it irritates me like crazy. it is especially worse when i have pmt. cant stand sniffing, coughing etc if anyones ill i have to tell them to please die quietly because theyre getting on my nerves. this is my attempt at being humerous. sometimes the noise makes me actually feel homicidal and IT IS NOT FUNNY. so glad i found this site although your a funny lot.......ive been posting for a couple of hours and no ones answered!!!! its enough to make a girl feel as if she s going mad!!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

There was a wonderful poster here (who I dearly miss ) who was Bipolar and said that crinkling candy wrappers in a movie theater would make her want to poke somebody's eyes out, it really was something that she couldn't quite understand and coming from such a sweet person who I so dearly loved I found that to be somewhat unusual. So I do believe that there must be something in the area of the brain that is affected that must make somebody who is Bipolar extremely sensitive to noises that will trigger such a reaction. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in anad let you know that you are certainly not alone.

And Sharonamy, a BIG welcome to you.....keep on posting...the weekends are usually much slower around here and opening up your own thread may generate more of a response from others so you may wish to try doing that. Meanwhile, I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that this is a great place to find support and I hope to see more of you around.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
    sharonamy
    (female)

sharonamy HB User

Hi Goody, thankyou so much for the lovely welcome. I have started a few threads but Its taken me this long to realise that most people are in bed, as I am in the UK and it is now only 6pm!! Mind you, so much for mania and insomnia..........come on all you insomniacs....get out of bed and talk too me!!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #13
    greenidme
    (female)

greenidme HB User

How's your caffeine intake wduke? I notice when I overdo my coffee drinking those symptoms get worse. I work in an airport so I am surrounded by activity and noise. Sometimes I want to get on my loudspeaker and yell
    "SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    I wonder how that would go over-lol!
    Really though, it is definitely a symptom of bipolar- it's the degree of it that determines whether meds can/will help or if even needed. You should talk to your pdoc about it and let him/her know about your caffeine intake too.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
    sixela
    (female)

sixela HB User

I am the same way and always have been! If I am trying to have a conversation in the car then I cannot have any music on. I just can't hear the other person at all. I actually really hate people's chewing noises too. Feel like they are amplified with a megaphone.

I am so glad that someone made this thread...I wouldn't have made the connection otherwise.

Six

Old 03-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
    paranormal
    (female)

paranormal HB User

i feel like this happens with me a lot. sometimes (i am told that) i am so digustingly picky and ridiculously condescending in the way I freak out if i hear certain noises and tell someone to shut up or "stop it!!" or even when they touch something of mine or move it. it really ticks me off!!

it really hurts them but i'd actually be serious.

anyway, glad i'm not alone on that.

Last edited by paranormal; 03-04-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Closed Thread