It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Tegretol and Insomnia & Seroquel and fear of Tardive dyskinesia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
    NutshellNutter
    Veteran
    (female)

NutshellNutter HB User
    Tegretol and Insomnia & Seroquel and fear of Tardive dyskinesia

Hi All,
    Right.... my 600mg of tegretol retard stopped stabilising me. I was up-ed to 600mg at night, 200mg in morning. I haven't taken well to the increase and am having my first side effects to this med. My eyes won't physically shut at night, I get no sleep, my brain feels frazzled to the size of a peanut rattling round in my head, and I feel like I have a hangover from hell all the time, really really sore head.
    The lack of sleep was SO irriatating, basically just couldn't close my eyes. Pdoc told me to take diazepam before bed - helped for couple of days, then nothing - eyes wide open. Now on sleeping tabs at night (Zopiclone) and got first nights sleep last night - and boy, do I feel better for it!!!

Anyway, pdoc and I agree that tegretol is no longer the one for me. He wants me to try seroquel but I am SOOOOOOOOOO frightened (frightened to the bone) of getting permanent Tardive dyskenesia. I have read in many articles, that even if the drug is ceased the symptons may stay permanently - WHAT????!!!!!!!!

Anyone???

TNKU,
    Nut.

Last edited by NutshellNutter; 03-23-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
    Re: Tegretol and Insomnia & Seroquel and fear of Tardive dyskinesia

Nut ~ Of all the atypical antipsychotics, Seroquel has the lowest incidence of TD. I have also heard that taking Vitamin E will add extra security by strengthening the nervous system while taking Seroquel.

I would definitely give it a try....all of these meds have side effects but I have heard great things about Seroquel....it is used in kids so it has to be somewhat safe.

I say give it a try and see if the pros outweigh the cons. There are a few posters here who just started Seroquel and are swearing that it is their wonder drug. Give it a try, Nut....this whole thing is a throw of the dice when it comes to finding the right meds. Plus the Seroquel is great for sleep and the irritability and frustration that come along with the disorder. And it is one of those meds that you can tak a little bit more here and there if the agitation increases like that monthly cycle time.

Good luck and keep us posted with how things go ~ Goody

PS ~ Check out Munchie's thread "Having a Great Day". She started Seroquel and is doing great on it.

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-23-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User
    Re: Tegretol and Insomnia & Seroquel and fear of Tardive dyskinesia

Often seroquel is prescribed in combination with a mood stabilizer like your depakote. You might want to ask your pdoc about that. Then you wouldn't need as much of either med.

Closed Thread