It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Can you take ibuprofen (motrin) and depakote

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
    leasarenya
    (female)

leasarenya HB User
    Can you take ibuprofen (motrin) and depakote

I think my pychiatrist told me not to take ibuprofen with my depakote, but I cannot remember for sure. I don't have another appt for several weeks but I pulled a muscle. Does anyone know if the two can be taken together (tylenol is not working)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
    KissAmeGal
    (female)

KissAmeGal HB User
    Re: Can you take ibuprofen (motrin) and depakote

leasarenya.............not sure myself. But you should really call the doctor and ask them. I only know that you need to be careful about taking any over the counter or additional medications with these types of meds.

If you can't get an answer from them.......as i know how some doctors offices are..........call the pharmacist.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
    strawberryshort
    (male)

strawberryshort HB User
    Re: Can you take ibuprofen (motrin) and depakote

You can read the stuff below if you choose...

Probably NOT a good combination (may lead to increased Depakote side effects, toxicity)

But bottom line: taking Ibuprofen, aspirin, or any other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) in conjunction with Depakote (valproic acid) has a potential to increase the toxic effects of Depakote....

Tylenol is not an NSAID; tylenol is your simple, basic analgesic.

Narcotic analgesics may work (although if the pain is not unbearable, you'd want to shy away from opioid analgesics)

Due to the high protein binding of certain NSAIDs and salicylic acid, both Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and Salicylates [6620] (e.g., Aspirin, ASA) could displace other highly protein-bound drugs such as valproic acid, divalproex sodium from albumin binding sites in the blood. Several prescription and over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin, ASA, naproxen and ibuprofen have been reported to cause moderate to significant displacement of valproic acid in selected patients. The displacement of valproic acid can cause an increase in valproic acid free drug concentrations. In such cases, a patient may experience valproic acid toxicity even if the total drug concentration is within the therapeutic range. The clinical status of the patient should be monitored when concomitant salicylate or NSAID therapy is needed along with valproic acid or divalproex sodium. When clinically indicated, valproic acid total and free drug concentrations should be monitored.

Last edited by strawberryshort; 03-27-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Closed Thread