It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Seroquel??????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User
    Seroquel??????

Has anyone here tried Seroquel? I was diagnosed a few years ago with mild bipolar and depression and have tried several different anti-depressants, but none of them have really fully worked. I'm in my 18th day of self detox from Vicodin (21 per day) and still feel like crap along with the depression that is setting in. I 've been researching different treatments for bipolar and came across an ad for Seroquel, which, I think is fairly new. I'm just want to know if anyone out there has tried it and what their experience has been. Side effects, etc........

I see my Dr. tomorrow and am still researching.......I'm sure he will make a recommendation, but still want to know ahead of time what my options are.

Thanks for any and all help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
    Paige1989
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paige1989 HB User
    Re: Seroquel??????

I'm on Seroquel and I'm seventeen. Right now, I'm on 300mg. per day, which is the minimum dosage that is approved by FDA to regulate the depression side of bipolar. The minimum dosage that is approved by FDA for both depression and mania is 400mg., but the maximum dosage is much higher than that. It often makes you drowsy so most take it before bed and it helps with irritability and impulsivity. I'm fairly new to Seroquel so I don't know too much, but a mother (Goody) of a fifteen-year-old who is on Seroquel knows more...

Paige
    1mg. Klonopin
    0.5-1mg. Ativan
    I'm not crazy ~ I'm mentally interesting!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

I am taking Seroquel (only 50mg daily). I take mine at night and it helps me sleep. It also stabilizes my moods (ups & downs). I have had no side effects from taking it...and I do sleep incredibly well at night (after having insomnia for weeks).

Old 05-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi....Paige claims that I know more about Seroquel but it seems that she knows quite a bit about it herself!!!

Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic that is one of the few drugs that is noted to address both poles of Bipolarity, the mania as well as the depression. It is a drug that works rather quickly in relieving irritability and frustration as well. My daughter is presently on 200mgs in the morning, 50mgs in the afternoon and 325mgs in the evening. I have been told by others that they are surprised that she is on so much because 25mgs can knock you out but it is one of those meds that will do that but level out as you increase it. There are very little side effects to it. My daughter did experience some dizziness when increased on it but the pdoc told her to drink more water and eat something salty to help out and she would feel better by the next day and she was right. There are some that seem to think that Seroquel puts on weight but of all the antipsychotics is the one least likely to. My daughter gained a few pounds but nothing too obvious. It helps her sleep at night and across the board has ended up being a GREAT drug for her.

There is another drug out there called Lamictal which is an anticonvulsant that works as a mood stabilizer that focuses more on the depressive side of Bipolar. It works best as an add on drug and takes some time to get up to a therapeutic dose since it must be increased slowly in order to avoid a dangerous rash associated with it. The rash is quite rare and more common in children but with a slow titration can be avoided. So it will take sometime to feel the effects of this med which usually kick in around 100mgs. (You usually start at 25mgs and increase it every week or two)

Lamictal has been referred to as the "magic bullet" by many because it works quite well in making them feel better. My daughter is on this med as well and the combo of Seroquel and Lamictal seem to work out well for her. She is only on 150mgs of the Lamictal and we are thinking that she may need a little bit more since her moods seem to still be swinging and 200mgs seems to be the minimum dosage that works for most.

Overall, if my daughter didn't tell you she was on meds you would never know it. There is virtually no side effects visible or felt by my daughter that have concerned either of us. That in itself is a real blessing for us since alot of meds seem to have side effects that mae you want to stop taki g them which thankfully is not the case with my daughter, thank God.

So....I hope that this information helps in regard to choosing meds and that you got it in time to discuss with your pdoc. Let us know what you have decided on with your doctor and we are hoping that you will be feeling better real soon. Keep us posted.

~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 05-08-2007 at 05:32 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
    bpd_bipolar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bpd_bipolar HB User

Goody knows what she is talking about as she is giving me advice on some other issues, as for med wise..........I can give you some advice on the pain killers, then the psych meds:

First off, I am not here to judge you.

Vicodins: 21 a day, not good for your liver and you definitely NEED to get your liver panel, I mean a FULL liver panel done by a doctor to see if there is liver damage and how much. First were they vicodins OR vicoprofin? If they were vicodins, then the Acetiminifen in them (which is the stuff in tylenol), you can only, SHOULD only take 4,000mg. a day at most due to the fact that if you do not it will rot your liver very quickly (I am not trying to scare you, believe me, I am being honest with you and I know this from the facts of many doctors and books. My family doc is a pharmacist as well and I have been taking vics for the period of 9 years and were tossed onto Percocets for a short time of a year, then back to Vicodins, now I am back on Percocets).

Now, if they were Vicoprofin, then they had vicodin and Ibprofin in them which will rot your stomach lining and your liver. so, you will want your family doc to check the lining of your stomach also because it could cause ulcers.

Make sure you know which ones you were on and make sure that you get all the tests done by your family doctor to check everything with your liver and basically........get all your functions tested. IF you are gaining any weight (if you've noticed), get your TSH checked, which is your thyroid. It could of been messed up through all of this as well.

OH K............

As for Seroquoel, I take 25mg. w/ Ambien to sleep at night, works nicely for me, but use Goody's advice as above for how it works without the sleeping pills.

I also take Trileptal. It is a mood stabilizer. Now, I take (they come in the highest from of 600mg. pills) 1 1/2 pills = 900mg. in the morning and 6 hours late 900mg. more in the afternoon. total being 1800mg. for the day. I have found that I do not gain weight from it.

I take Topamax at night. I take 300mg. of it (this is between my doc and me for weight loss, because I took only 20mg. of Geodon and I gained about 30 pounds, mind you Geodon 20mg. is a super low dose). Normally 200mg. is the highest dose of Topamax people take (the highest dose pill so far they make of the pill is 200mg.). ---->I have Bipolar and Borderline Personality Disorder.

Hope I have helped out here.

~Me

Old 05-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
    barma
    (female)

barma HB User

I take seroquel with topamax. Currently I am taking 150 mg of seroquel and 200 mg of topamax. Seroquel is a miracle drug for me. I am working my way up to 300 mg. Prior starting seroquel (which was less than 3 weeks ago) I was a complete wreck. My thoughts were distorted, racing. One minute I was pacing and crying and pulling my hair out- the next I was on the ground laughing then sobbing, then up pacing again. I thought that people were trying to kill me. I couldn't figure out what year it was. I was seeing and hearing things. Now I am feeling much better. I call myself "stabely depressed" . I just in general feel "blah". Have trouble just taking a shower. But at least I'm able to get out of the house some which I wasn't before. Anyway, seroquel has really helped my mind to stop racing and fast!!

I've had a major problem with feeling sick and like I'm about to pass out from it though. I'm hoping it will go away.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Somebody on this thread said that 200 mgs of topamax is the highest dose you can take..that is not true. the people on this board are so educated and they are a wonderful group. but, if you have questions about dosages you should probably ask your doc. everybody is different 25mgs of seroquel works magic for some and 400mgs does nothing for others. it really is amazing how people react to meds. my son is working his way up to 400mgs of topamax per day.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Wow--everyone is saying such different things! I take Topomax for migraine prevention 100mgs am and pm and that isn't the max dose, so I was told, 400mgs per day is. Also, Seroquel is not a "new" med, it's been around for quite awhile, and is used in treating seizures, along with some BP disorders too, but I take 50 mgs at night for sleep and MAN do I sleep. At that small a dose, it just is used as a sleep aid, I'd never see any effect other than that.
    AND I highly agree with the poster who talked about getting the liver function panel done for the original thread starter who was taking 21 vicodin a day---the tylenol is brutal on the liver!! Yes, Dr House on TV can toss back a ton but he's A TV CHARACTER and not a role model. I'm not judging you for whatever reason you were ons so much vicodin, but seriously, get your liver checked out--please!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
    JasonFMX
    Inactive
    (male)

JasonFMX HB User

Yeah... this thread is getting kind of messed up.

To the topomax thing. From what I heard to treat mania you have to be up around 400 mg to start and I think 500- 600 is theraputic ? ... so who knows. We're not doctors.

To the person before who said about the side effects are so low about serequel and their daughter takes it several times a day and it has low side effects and its least of all. I'm sorry, but your downright wrong. While I am glad it works wonders for your daughter the people that are speculating about the dosages are right. Taking that many MG's throughout the day is staggering. Most people would never leave the bed. I honestly don't know how your daughter functions. She actually must be one of the few that dont suffer from its side effects. But please dont use her example to the rest of the world. From what my research has shown me, plus from experience from my wife and from our doctors information Seroquel is kind of a devil's contract pill. Meaning its sort of alike a magic bullet because it works so well but it has side effects you pay for later. Weight gain is not only common in seroquel but its usually alot. For instance my wife is one of the unfortunate few. Another side effect is high cholesterol... becuase of these two side effects alone along with a few others really its not suppose to even be used as a super long term drug.

My wife was in really bad shape about 2 years ago. She had mania/depression so bad she was hearing voices, hurting herself, multiple suicide attempts, alcohol and drug abuse, bad with money, messy around the house, in a "trance" alot of the time, loss of memory, at times almost had a split personality. The list goes on and on. She went in the hospital and the doc put her on 500mg of seroquel and 100 mg of zoloft. I swear to god someone replaced my wife with an exact duplicate. She was an entirely different person. Does this mean this is what everyone should be on ? Absolutely not. You must work with you doctor on whats best for you.

Right now shes being taken off the seroquel, she was lessened down to 50mg in conjuction with 50mg of topomax a day. Now the geodon is being subbed in and eventually the topomax taken out. Now we'll see how that works.

But also to comment on seroquels power sedative properties. I'm sensitive to "downers" to begin with and I took one 25mg pill at night one time. I wasn't right for a full 24 hours. I felt like I was dragging around weights. I have no clue how she was on 500mgs. And that was after the fact, her original dosage was 200mg at night and 25mg 3 times a day. Not only was she dead tired but it didn't work as well. In her one group a lady is actually on 700mg of seroquel a day.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Jason I am sorry that the Seroquel didn't work well for your wife. I think that everybody here knows that any of these meds have side effects some more than others which vary from person to person and of course should be perscribed by a doctor. I am only speaking from experience....my daughter was self injuring, in a severe hypomanic state, was arrexted for shoplifting, ran away several times and attempted suicide 2 times all within a matter of 4 months. After 3 hospitalizations and 7 months of seeing a psychiatrist and therapist we still saw her worstening before our eyes. It wasn't until her 4th hospitalization mandated by the court for her shoplifting and violation of probation that she finally was properly diagnosed and treated. Since being on Seroquel and Lamictal she has not self injured, has had no further suicidal thoughts or attempts, is not in an angry agitated state or exhibiting anything like she did a year ago.

With the Seroquel and Lamictal she is doing exceptionally well at school and is quite alert and shows no side effects such as extreme drowsiness on the meds. Her cholesterol has been monitored and was elevated a bit before even started on meds and is now within normal limits. She has gained less than 5 pounds on the med and has been on it for a little over 7 months. I am hoping that in the future we can decrease the dosage and perhaps have her on the Lamictal alone but only time will tell. For now at this moment I have my daughter safe and non suicidal and basically functional. If we hadn't put her on these meds I am convinced that we would have lost her whether it be to suicide or one of her impulsive or risky actions.

I have heard that the max Seroquel dose is 800mgs/day. And I have heard that only 25mgs knocks people out. But from the very start my daughter never exhibited that....she does go to sleep shortly after her evening dose but the rest of the day she is perfectly fine. No falling asleep in class or needs for naps. On the weekends she likes to sleep in like the typical teen but is fine otherwise.

Like you already said, she may be the exception to the rule. But the combo seems to be working. I don't know what the future will hold but for now we are in a much better place as compared to a year ago when during this time she was in the hospital. We haven't had another hospitalization since being on the meds.

I hope that the Geodon works for your wife. Finding the right combo is the hardest part of all of this. Like I always say, what works well for one person may not for the next.

Good luck to you and your wife.

~ Goody

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
    JasonFMX
    Inactive
    (male)

JasonFMX HB User

hello,

Well.... actually I consider the seroquel to be a success in my wife's case despite the side effects. Becuase if she never would of went on it she would be dead now either due to suicide or drunk driving accident or something. I mean, thats not a guess or anything its pretty much a fact. My wife is the other half of me, if you were to remove one of your major organs you would no longer survive. To me, my wife is just as important as my heart or liver, etc. If something would of happened to her.........................

Seeing how she was for so long, and seeing how different she was after she went on seroquel was just astounding. She was a whole different person....i mean totally and completely, she leads an entire different lifestyle. This is why we've been taking baby steps every time the medication is altered. I never want her to be like how she was before again.

good health to you and your daughter

Last edited by JasonFMX; 05-08-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #12
    Lona
    (female)

Lona HB User

Goody, You are very knowledgable and accurate about Seroquel and Lamicatal, everything you said about it is true, I'm new here and just got put on that combo, and it's only the beginning for me. But from what the doctor said and from my own research, you are 100% accurate. Just backing you up!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Umber Welcome and thanks for your post. I read your concerns regarding the Seroquel and as far as our experience with it and what the pdoc told us, the sedating effects will subside as you reach the higher doses. Your body naturally rejects any meds but the effects will level out and you will see good results with a little patience and time. However, what one person's body experiences does not go across the board. What I am saying is to give the meds a fighting chance....don't just throw in the towel when you have side effects....you need to stay on it for at least a few weeks sometimes months before giving up.

There have been many posters here who shared how the Seroquel was awful and that they couldn't even get out of bed to go to work. One man wa going to give up and I told him the same thing and a few days later he was telling us all how glad he was that he stayed the course because it ended up being the med that most helped him.

I hope it turns out the same for you.

Oh...and Umber...stay away from the drugs...they will only keep you from finding the right med. The urge to use drugs/alcohol should subside when you find the right med combo, at least that is what others here have shared.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing more of you on the boards.

Love ~ Goody

PS ~ Thanks for the good wishes, Jason. Your wife is so lucky to have somebody as supportive as you. I wish you and her well and that the meds continue to help your wife with minimal side effects.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
    bpd_bipolar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bpd_bipolar HB User

Jason, if you are the one who wants teh Geodon, just so you know......it was just my experince with it, but I only took 20mg. (super low dose) and I gained 30 pounds from it. Just info. for you.

As for the Topamax thing, I apologize guys. I was looking through my PDR that I had from 2006 and they only mentioned a 200mg. pill, nothing larger in dose. so, that was my fault. I am prescribed it for weight loss, not migraines, therefore that is something I am on for a different reason.........again, sorry, not meaning to give out incorrect anything. As for Seroqueol experience: I take only 25mg. at night with 10mg. Ambien and it knocks me out, but I do take 50mg. Seroqueol sometimes with the Ambien when needed and it just does me in, when I heard that people actually take hundreds of milligrams of the medicine I was pretty shocked as if it puts me to sleep at such a low dose, Iwonder how people function at a high dose..............

Oh k, well I wanted to apologize and also to drop that note to Jason and also to thank Goody......she knows a lot and helps a lot of people.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
    JasonFMX
    Inactive
    (male)

JasonFMX HB User

Well,... actually the Geodon was an alternative suggestion from the doctor. Becuase it doesn't have the sedative qualities. The seroquel was working but becuase of the cholesterol and inability to lose more than 25 lbs. (she hit a plateau) he suggested taking her off of that. He said the Geodon is really good for treating rapid cyclers, and it also effectively treats depression, and is an atypical antipsychotic, and its non sedative. It just seemed to be a really good option to try.

With the topomax, supposedly... you have to be on the mania treating dosage for it to make you lose weight (400mg or higher). The doctor also suggested that we eventually remove this as well becuase its a brand name drug thats not FDA approved for mania treatment so we would have to pay about $400 cash a month just for the Topomax alone and obviously we can't afford that. Plus, he said it very well may effect her cognitive abilites. Topomax is known as the California drug. It makes you skinny and stupid everyone says.

So the goal is to have her on 60mg of Geodon twice a day along with 100mg of zoloft once a day. If there are any problems with Geodon not keeping her condition under control hes going to switch her straight back to seroquel. We want to keep her mental health stable.

Closed Thread