It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Prozac & Depakote ER for Bipolar? BPD? Quitting Effexor XR.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
    CA 2 NJ
    (female)

CA 2 NJ HB User
    Exclamation Prozac & Depakote ER for Bipolar? BPD? Quitting Effexor XR.

Hello again. I have been here a lot in the past few weeks as I've been trying to find that magic combo to help me with my Bipolar I (Mixed, Agitated Episodes with Ultra-Rapid Cycling), Borderline Personality Disorder, Panic Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

I am currently going off of the Effexor as I could only tolerate for 3 weeks as every day I am in bed longer than I was the day before. Now I'm in bed about 18 hours a day. And most of the time I'm sleeping.

I only got up to 75mg of Effexor and was there for 2 weeks after spending 1 week on 37.5mg. So as of today I am taking 5mg of prozac in the morning and 37.5mg of Effexor at bedtime for a week, then going to halve the Effexor and continue with the Prozac for a week in hopes that I am able to get off this nasty stuff before I am to travel cross-country in the beginning of June.

Once I'm off the Effexor, I plan on staying on Prozac at 5mg (if it's effective, 10mg if not) as I have had Prozac throw me into a bad raging, manic episode before (along with Geodon). But that was without the Depakote.

So I am wondering if anyone who has Bipolar Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder has had success with such a small dose of Prozac while taking a mood stabilizer (not an anti-psychotic). I just don't want to get manic again.

I also take 3mg of Xanax XR which seems to work well and 50-100mg Seroquel at bedtime (which I'm hoping to stop, but not sure how). Would Trazodone be a better alternative for sleep? As Lunesta and Ambien no longer work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am in between psychiatrists and have spoken with my General Doctor. He is the one who has me on what I am taking now. So I'm looking to those who may have actual experience in hopes of some information which may be of help.

I really hope there's someone out there who can help as I don't want to have to cancel my trip. It's already been put on hold since last November because I've been too messed up to go anywhere.

Thanks for listening... well reading.

Hugs,
    CA 2 NJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
    leasarenya
    (female)

leasarenya HB User
    Re: Prozac & Depakote ER for Bipolar? BPD? Quitting Effexor XR.

First of all, good luck to you and keep trying. You will get it eventually. I have been on an off almost everything I hear about for the last 4 and half years, since dx. My life has been hell. I am finally taking depakote er and lithium and am having the most wonderful luck. I have never, ever in my life felt better. I not only feel like I can manage but I feel wonderful!!! I take 1500mg depakote er and I was hungry but I exercised and fought the hunger pangs and they are almost gone. I was feeling a little blue and my doc said that with depakote, I could try an anti dep when I need it. Like you, when I took anti depres before, I went crazy. My doc said that depakote will help you not get manic.
    Good luck to you and may God bless!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

I'm sorry I don't have any comments to add about that med combination.

But Leasareyna, I am so happy to hear your meds are working so well for you. I think I told you previously that my son is on 3 mood stabilizers, and that controls his symptoms -- he doesn't need any other types of meds. It is always such great news when someone finds a combination that works well!!

Cheers!!
    Tsohl

Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
    trumpetav
    (female)

trumpetav HB User

Hi, I have a similar combination of diagnoses (bipolar, GAD, panic disorder, borderline personality, etc.). I currently take 1500mg of Depakote ER/day, 25mg Zoloft/day, 300mg Seroquel (at bedtime), and 1mg x? Ativan as needed. I was initially on just the Zoloft at 100mg for a couple of years to treat the anxiety and depression, but I did experience hypo manic symptoms and eventually some manic episodes/behavior, which is how I was introduced to the Depakote ER, which helped for a while, but I started getting hypo manic again, which is where the Seroquel came in handy -- yes it's a second generation anti-psychotic, but most recently used to treat bipolar depression and mania. It made me tired as heck (and still does, even the AM after sometimes), but it works wonderfully in combination with the other drug concoction. This is just what happens to work for me at the moment -- of course everyone is different and has a different neurochemistry. Good luck to you, I wish you all the best.

-=iii=< V

Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
    leasarenya
    (female)

leasarenya HB User

Tsohl, thank you, I am sooooo happy too. I feel better than I ever have.
    Thanks again, Leasa

Last edited by leasarenya; 05-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Closed Thread