HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   what is lyrica? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/511159-what-lyrica.html)

Llama 06-25-2007 01:48 PM

what is lyrica?

I've never even heard of this med...yet my pdoc has prescribed it for me? Is this even really a bp med? I don't get it. Do I need a new pdoc? (please say no...I really don't want to have to go through that again!)

jtokc 06-25-2007 02:42 PM

Re: what is lyrica?

I've never heard of it eigther, but that doesn't mean anything. They are always coming up with new meds. Before you change docs, why don't you ****** it and see what you can find out about it. Think I will too. jane

goody2shuz 06-25-2007 03:13 PM

Hi, Llama ~ I never heard of Lyrica but looked into it a little for you.;) It is another antiepileptic med like Tegretol, Trileptal, Depakote and Lamictal very close to Neurontin that is used to stabilize the moods more directed towards depression. The one thing that they warned about the med is an increase in suicidal thoughts so I would be careful if the med makes you feel worse and contact your pdoc right away it that were to happen.

It also states that it shouldn't be used as monotherapy in BP, meaning that it works best in conjunction with other meds and not on it's own.

I hope that information helps relieve any concerns you may have.

And I hope that perhaps this one will work out for you because I know that you have been waiting to find the right meds.

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody:angel: :wave:

tsohl 06-25-2007 05:31 PM

Hi Llama,

Nice to hear from you! I would guess the reason you haven't heard of Lyrica is because it is because you don't hang out on the Back board! Lyrica is a new drug that is now prescribed for nerve pain, such as in neuropathy and sciatica. It is prescribed for shingles as well. It is not that commonly prescribed for BP. Guess your pdoc is a trendsetter! Let us know what you think of it!!

As I'm sure you know, a lot of the meds that are prescribed for BP were first used for other purposes. And many are used for things other than BP, like Topamax is commonly prescribed for migraine, as is Depakote.

How are you doing otherwise? What else is going on in your life?

:wave: Tsohl

Llama 06-26-2007 08:25 PM

Thanks for the great information guys! I knew I could count on you!

So, my pdoc called today and decided to put me on wellbutrin xl instead. I don't get it...I'm not depressed? I am so confused! :confused: And frustrated! :mad: It's been at least 9 months and I don't feel that much better. I am starting to wonder if I ever really will get back to the point when I felt normal, before I had bp. I feel like giving up! This has really ruined my life.

And I do feel guilty because lithium and depakote did work well for me...I was just so afraid of weight gain that I refused to take them anymore. And my pdoc was sympathetic saying I would feel better emotionally but physically "it wouldn't be worth it if I gained 50 lbs." 50lbs!!!!!!!!! I am already overweight thanks to these meds and I have a family history of diabetes. Now I'm worried I'll get that too.

And tshol nothing is new in my life...I'm just trying to survive and get by as best I can. I've been sleeping a lot (have had to rely on rozerem to sleep at all). But that's ok because I don't really want to do anything anyways. Oh well. How are you all?

Llama 06-27-2007 12:34 AM

Just an update already! So I took the first 150mg wellbutrin xl when I got home from work and I feel great! Hell, I'm just going to take the whole 300mg tomorrow instead of waiting a week! I slept for about 2 hours but am wide awake now. I remember now that this med is not supposed to be taken at night! But shouldn't the rozerem counteract that?

Maybe I have been a bit depressed? I feel like I can get a bunch done tomorrow that I haven't been able to do...such as shower, go to the gym, go shopping, get bills paid, take the trash out, and then work from 1-9pm.

And it just HIT ME what I should do to finish school quickly! I am going to commute next year an hour away to my old college and just take 13 credits (full-time) for two semesters and then I will be DONE! Can you believe that that is all I have to do? One of my friends commutes too...so I know I can do it!

Gosh I remember years ago seeing my family doc for "depression" and taking this med and how it made me feel so great! But, like now, I couldn't sleep a wink on it and she made me switch meds! That was before I saw a pdoc. Seems like a long time ago!

goody2shuz 06-27-2007 06:37 AM

Hi, Llama:wave: I am glad that you are feeling better on the Wellbutrin XL....that is really wonderful.:blob_fire

I would advise you not to increase to the 300mg just yet....I have been on the Wellbutrin and it is important to increase it as the doctor onstructed you to because of the small chance of developing seizures with the med. That is why the doctors put you on half the dose for a week to 10 days and then increase it so that your body gets adjusted to it slowly and not with a big surge that could bring on a seizure. Also....many people do quite well on just 150mgs so if you are feeling this good after a week I would reommend your calling your doctor and seeing if you should stay on only the 150mgs.

Try taking the med in the morning so that you don't experience the insomnia that you are....once it levels off you may do better with the sleep.

I hope the Wellbutrin XL continues to work well for you....it isn't uncommon for a med that didn't work in the past to work a second time it is tried so hopefully that is what is happening in your case.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody:angel: :wave:

Llama 06-28-2007 02:03 AM

I can't sleep again tonight. My mind wont shut up. :dizzy:

I am getting so sick of all this! How much longer can this go on?

I talked to the pdoc today and asked her why an antidepressant when I'm not depressed? She kept saying it would help me concentrate. Well the reason I can't concentrate is because my mind wont stop racing! She also increased my lamictal to 250mg. Said to call if the wellbutrin was increasing my anxiety? Huh? I have never really told her I have been having anxiety! I said I was pretty restless! I THINK SHE IS MIXING ME UP WITH OTHER PATIENTS?! I don't get it!

Also she keeps "consulting" with other pdocs who have only seen a file on me and never seen me face to face. Huh? I guess that's why the lyrica was nixed because another pdoc she talked to said it wasn't used for bp much at all!

Meanwhile my weight has been going up up up and it's making me miserable. I can't stop obsessing over it.

I just want everything to slow down! I am freaking out over everything!

Llama 06-29-2007 01:51 AM

God I am the only one awake right now. help.

Llama 06-29-2007 01:57 AM

I am calling my pdoc tmorrow. I want her to hear what a mess I am.

veljul 06-29-2007 03:17 AM

I think that is an excellent idea! What you are saying about your pdoc reminds me of what I went through in the earlier days of my diagnosis. Perhaps she is not that experienced with bp clients.

I have not beena ble to sleep either. About 2 hours ago I said I was going to sleep...I'll get off of this thing and try now...but my favorite ******** is on t.v. so...maybe in about 10 minutes...plus...I feel a bit strange because I said I was going to do certain things today and if I go to sleep now than I will not get up for a while.

Later! Hope today is good for you!!

veljul 06-29-2007 03:19 AM

I just wanted to mention that restlessness is usually a sign to pdocs that you are anxious so your doctor is actually right about that.

katiejc 06-30-2007 08:46 PM

Hello,
I was diagnosed with bp 8 months ago. I have been on SEVERAL anti-depressants that did not work for depression, anxiety, racing thoughts, etc.
I have been put on gabapentin and I have to say... so far it has saved my life!!! My brain has slowed down so much. I get a whole night of sleep and feel so much better. They say lyrica is the "big daddy" of gabapentin.
I also take lexapro for anxiety and depression.
As far as weight gain, I have lost 8 lbs. Maybe see if your Dr. will let you try it. The only side effect is at first it made me very tired. I had to take a nap everyday. And in the morning when I would first get out of bed, I would get dizzy for a few minutes. But the benifits of the drug are well worth the minor side effects. Also, I am like you... Wellbutrin made me VERY anxious. Good luck to you!! Kathy

Thinkopath 07-01-2007 06:16 PM

I was prescribed Lyrica for pain, but found it was wonderful at relieving my anxiety, racing mind and insomnia. It is also totally wonderful for pain.

This med makes me feel "normal." The problem is, my insurance won't cover it and it is $3 a pill. Also, I fear addiction. I have never been addicted to anything but nicotine, and quit that years ago (with great difficulty) and I don't understand how addiction works. But I do know I don't want to go back to how I felt without Lyrica, and I am very happy when it is time to take it, which isn't as often as I would like but, again, it is costly and I fear addiction.

Wellbutrin made me suicidal and that was the only time I ever seriously considered suicide to the point of preparing. I have never been suicidal since.

However, after many years of trying things I must say Lyrica makes me feel HAPPY. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. (Not all at once, though. It takes a few days to build up in the system.)

Also I sleep, which is totally wonderful.

But driving is another thing. I was taking Lyrica for nerve pain twice a day. Now I only take it at bedtime for my kid's sake. I also notice I am a bit clumsier than I was before beginning it.

Sooooo... that is the deal with Lyrica from my POV. I do not have Bi-Polar disorder but I'll bet Lyrica will even you out quite a bit. I mean, a freaked out brain is a freaked out brain if you ask me, the rest is how we react to it. (But that is probably an over simplification of a very complex subject.) Sometimes I think the only reason I'm as "normal" as I am is because I have a thyroid problem, so I don't have enough energy to be bipolar or obsessive compulsive or have full blown anxiety attacks, or whatever.

Good luck to you all. Hope you feel better.

Llama 07-02-2007 04:29 AM

Thanks for all the info about lyrica. I honestly don't know what to think about it anymore. But I guess I wont have to worry about it since pdoc doesn't want to try it anymore anyways!

I finally got some sleep...only after taking about 5 tabs of rozerem (sleeping pill). Well I guess it worked a little too well and I slept from about 4am sunday to 8pm. :eek: I've been awake since.

I'm actually pretty crabby that I missed a whole day. Well I don't know how much it matters because I never get anything done anyway...I'm not organized enough.

And I've only been on the wellbutrin for a week or so but I don't think it's helping...I feel even more crazy if that is possible.

And actually I feel pretty damn crabby right now thinking about working in the afternoon today. I don't want to go and be around stupid customers. I always feel stressed and feel like I'm going to fly off the handle at times like this! I am getting so sick of this. I am fighting so hard to keep myself in check.

I get so jealous sometimes of people who do not have to deal with this crap of a disorder. I feel like I'm on fire all the time...and there's nothing to put it out!

Forgot to mention the only reason I took that many sleeping pills was because I was getting so OUT OF IT from lack of sleep and felt to crazy. I was hearing music again and people calling my name...and feeling like someone was right behind me all the time. Well that was scaring the crap out of me and I was sure if I could just get some sleep it would stop again. Huh it's funny too because when I was just beginning to be knocked out by the pills I actually forgot what it was like to feel tired again. I don't remember the last time I felt deeply sleepy like that. Oh man I am in such a bad mood right now and I don't even really have a reason to be so ******.