It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• My treatment/Length of Risperdal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
    samm87
    (male)

samm87 HB User
    My treatment/Length of Risperdal?

Since my episode, I've been on the risperdal at 3mg a day for almost a month now. I have about 2 weeks of this prescription left and I don't see my doc until the 20th. Do you guys suspect I'll be off this risperdal by then and only on Depakote?

About everyday I have to take a nap around 1-2pm? Is this because of the risperdal, depakote, combination of the two, or just because I'm recovering from a recent mixed episode?

LOL

I want to follow all my doctors orders from now on forget what I've said before, no more MJ. I need to make a complete and well done recovery. Thanks for the support everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: My treatment/Length of Risperdal?

It's hard to tell. My wife is on several meds and will most likly be on them for life. Each person is different.
    Welcome to the board. Stay around. they are a load of good people on this board.

Mudhound

Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Samm ~ Gald to see your committment to staying well.

As Mudhound already said, sometimes you must stay on certain meds for the long run....others are there just until part of the BP is stabilized. In any case, you are your biggest advocate when it comes to managing your BP. That means being staright with yourself and your pdoc...you are a team, a team that works together to maintain your stability.

As far as the tiredness that you are experiencing, it could be due to many factors...the meds, life's events (stopping the MJ & your body's adjustment to that) or a particular situation. Thing is, it takes a good few months of being on the meds to know what needs to be done.

Risperdal is a fast acting med once it is at the right dose whereas Depaote may take a little bit longer to reach it's overall effect. The time in which you take the meds may have something to do with it too....my daughter was on Risperdal and took it at bedtime and did fine with it but I have read that it could tire you out if taken during the day. So perhaps just a change in timing may help you through the tiredness you are experiencing.

As far as getting off the Risperdal, I have heard of some people being able to do so once they are more stabilized....that of course is something to be determined by you and your doctor as a team. But it isn't until you are doing well for a while without any further episodes if at all.

I am so glad to hear that you are going to lay off the MJ....that will give you an opportunity to truly see how the meds can help you. Mixing them with MJ will not afford you the chance of seeing that and also potentially cause more harm than good.

So, Samm, hats off to you and all that you are doing to get yourself stabilized.

I wish you well and please keep us posted with your progress.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 07-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
    samm87
    (male)

samm87 HB User

Yeah I feel that if I took all my meds around bedtime that I might be a little bit more awake during the day. Other than that, progress seems to get better every week

Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
    Dantheinsane
    Veteran
    (male)

Dantheinsane HB User

I was on Risperdal and it was really great, until I started to get tardive deskensia (my spelling sucks). That has been a real burden for me, if you stop medication early enough the TD doesn't last lifelong.

If you are just taking it for a short time I wouldn't worry about TD but the med was really great for me.

Closed Thread