It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Do you have psychotic symptoms with your bipolar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
    musicgal
    (female)

musicgal HB User
    Do you have psychotic symptoms with your bipolar?

Anyone with bipolar combined with psychotic symptoms? Could you post them, please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
    Dantheinsane
    Veteran
    (male)

Dantheinsane HB User
    Re: Do you have psychotic symptoms with your bipolar?

I have for various reasons. In my very early BD I thought I was able to see the future and talk to spirits. Later things changed. If I take a certain cold med with my prescription meds I can halluncinate, hear things, and have grand delusions.

Sometimes I will take a vitamin and once I took a powerhouse vitamin which had ginsing, and other herbs in it. That too affected me big time.

I know in manic episodes people can have grand delusions and have all sorts of paranoia, hallunicinations and other issues.

It is best to keep a log of things and what you have taken. When you see your doctor explain it, because there are other psychiatric health problems which the person could also have.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
    emeraldeyes114
    Inactive
    (female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User

I get them with the manic episodes more then I use to. They can range from seeing white balls that fly through the air, people, to almost feeling as i am watching someone else be me for a while and doing really strange stuff. It is hazy at best but at the same time still me. My personality usually feels colder to others like I have no ability to care about anyone in particular almost a predatory stance. I hear conversations and whole arguements that drive me batty. If I am lucky I can shut them out for a bit. If not then it is def not boring.

Deb

Old 07-08-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
    AussieTam
    Inactive
    (female)

AussieTam HB User

I sure do ... mostly associated with manias (but also with mixed episodes, now THOSE are fun - not). I have had grand delusions about saving the world in the future, being able to tell the future, being able to read minds. I also have delusions that everyone is trying to harm/kill me. I have had a range of hallucinations too, auditory mostly but plenty of visual, olfactory (taste), somatic (weird feelings in your body), sensory (critters crawling on or under my skin) and others I can't think of now.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
    CarenR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CarenR HB User

I have Bipolar 1.. and last fall, I had hallucinations. Colors of all sorts appeared on walls, I thought someone was going to kill me, chase me, I ended up on the hospital, and they stopped the hallucinations by giving me Zyprexa, I have never had H again......

Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
    steamrollhehe
    (female)

steamrollhehe HB User

During my manic episiodes I had hallucinations ranging from spiders to panthers to ladybugs. For some reason I mostly see animals (sometimes they are animated). I also had the delusion once that my eye was a fruit, specifically a lime. I heard banging noises above my head and smelled burning things. Then there is a voice that I still hear everyday. Most of the time I just tune it out. After Abilify most of the symptoms went away

Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
    bellylaugh
    (male)

bellylaugh HB User

I would become extremly anxious, especially about STD's or getting a girl pregnant. I felt like I was always doing something wrong or always in trouble. As I have grown older I animate other peoples responses to my interactions within their space, whats worse, is that it often appears that I am not that incorrect about sensing what they think, many times I have heard the truth, so it validates the animation. But the problem is that it creates such and anxiety in me that it affects me, rather than blowing it off, and recognizing that I just cannot control what people think, say or do.
    Therapy helps the most with keeping me in touch with reality, or just plain interaction with True friends.
    -BellyLaugh

Last edited by bellylaugh; 07-11-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
    teresa2007
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teresa2007 HB User

I hear someone laughing at me and telling me to do harmful things to myself and others.I see visions on the wall of a very evil being. I also have this deep voice that come inside me, i wish it would go away, i know if i had the right meds it would. Tee

Old 07-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
    musicgal
    (female)

musicgal HB User
    psychotic manic-depressive symptoms

Thanks everyone for responding to my post.
    I don't know about you, but my life has been one basket of hell forever.

No matter what my mood of the day, at night all I want to do it to put a bullet through my head.

If I ever have a moment of happiness, I'll send in the pony express.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

liza.judy

Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
    Rani*
    (female)

Rani* HB User
    Re: psychotic manic-depressive symptoms

Hi there liza.judy
    I have similiar psychotic symptoms as "ciaolavida listed" have had since 93 they occur all the time. I have sat many times wondering why my mind does this because they occur without any mania. Yes they are frustrating, kind of scary at times, but Ive learned first off to tell myself it's nonsense. I've been dealing with these weird thoughts for 14 yrs. True I have heard zyprexa can
    help them but I couldnt tolerate the med plus it causes weight gain and Im already over weight. Keep in mind the bipolar mind is very creative, look at Steven King and the books he writes. So our minds tend to extend further into all area's even the twilight tone, kind of funny but more frustrating. I've been told to write down my paranoia, psychotic thoughts and later go back and study them as to why I would think such a thing in regards to the situation. Also Been told when there's been a trauma in our past, we sometimes suffer from post traumatic stress and even dealing with daily issues our mind does what ever it has to to avoid another shock even if it means imaging something that's not true just to be prepared for the shock. Dont know if that made much sense but it does to me, cause the most of the time I have such thoughts is when Im faced with a situation I dont understand how to deal with, why someone did this or that, etc...

I didnt notice what meds you were on but sometimes an addition or adjustment can help such as the zyprexa or an antidepressant for post traumtic stress syndrome (ptsd) Dont know if they will be of any help but I sympathize with how you feel. I have also wondered if my own trauma caused a dysfunction in how my mind processes information therefore I have to learn to decipherer my own instrusive thoughts. Then again maybe that's just another instrusive thought trying to understand why I have them. (I think that's called a catch 22) I dont know if I confused you more or whether you see some similiar thought paterns. Personally I think the bipolar mind thinks alot deeper in all area's, many we dont understand. Hang in there, keep posting and dont give up. Rani*

Last edited by Rani*; 07-13-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 AM   #11
    emeraldeyes114
    Inactive
    (female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User

I know the feeling that by the end of the day you are ready for the long kiss goodnight deal. I never know from one minute to another which is real and which is something else. I am afraid to react to the stimuli and then again I am afraid not to as well. I get tired of it all and can't take the Zyprexa either for allergy reasons.

I know the stuff I think and feel and see and so forth is real at the time but the brain goes overboard on it. Why can't the brain get that I don't nned the stress of it? I know my mom and hubby both think being Bipolar means just a little overly emotional. This past week or so has been a test of sorts for hubby and he is slowly changing his mind.

So why does the brain go into overdrive? Why doesn't it just say enough already? I am glad you posted this thread because psychotic problems tend to differ from one nugget to the next. And it is helpful to see what others are going through at the same time you are. It helps you not to feel so alone in this mess.

Deb

Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
    Rani*
    (female)

Rani* HB User

I want to thank judy.liza for this post. This is a topic that I for one keep to myself because most people dont understand and to hear from others that are bipolar and find out there are those of us that are experiencing similiar
    issues is actually a comfort, gee does that mean I just might not be as far
    gone as I thought I was, or well...... lol, Thanks to everyone that was brave enough to step up here. Rani*

Old 07-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
    Waffles93
    (male)

Waffles93 HB User

What's the difference btwn being bipolar w/ psychosis and having schizoaffective disorder?
    I am curious because I think I may have been misdiagnosed as having major depression w/ psychotic features. I think this is the case, because my pdoc seemed to have ignored the manic episodes I was having when dxing me.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
    Rani*
    (female)

Rani* HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Waffles93 View Post
    What's the difference btwn being bipolar w/ psychosis and having schizoaffective disorder?
    I am curious because I think I may have been misdiagnosed as having major depression w/ psychotic features. I think this is the case, because my pdoc seemed to have ignored the manic episodes I was having when dxing me.
    Myself I believe it's the opinion of each doc. Keep in mind the same drugs are used for both. Sometimes bipolar is treated only with antipyschotic drugs same ones used for schizophenzia. Some doctors are willing to rethink their
    dx but from what I've read here most arent. Try talking to your doctor again if he/she wont listen find someone different. Dont know if you've go to the schizophenzia board. You might find some other helpful into there. Then again this is just my opinion and to add a little humor you know what they say about opinions, lol Good Luck on your question. Rani*

Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
    musicgal
    (female)

musicgal HB User
    and how!

Yes, I do and if it were not for medication, I would probably be totally afraid of - not to mention, whacked out!

Send me a pm, if you'd like.

liza.judy

Closed Thread