It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• keep forgetting to take lamictal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
    SomePerson12
    Inactive
    (male)

SomePerson12 HB User
    keep forgetting to take lamictal

I keep forgetting to take my medication and I'm on the starter kit. Do you think some form of damage could be occuring because of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
    Re: keep forgetting to take lamictal

Hi...I think that the best thing for you to do is to get in touch with your doctor and discuss this with him to come up with a plan on how you should go about resuming the med without it causing you any problem. Lamictal has a great side effect profile, however, there is a risk of a significant rash you can get that could have you ending up in the hospital if the med is increased too fast....that is why the starter pack was created so that the risks would be minimized. I believe that you start out with 25mgs for a few weeks then up to 50mgs for a certain amount of time and slowly increase as the pack directs you. Now if you took the first few weeks of 25mgs and then stopped (I think that the window of time you can stop without having to start all over is 48hours) you shouldn't go taking 50mgs or you could be putting yourself at more risk of developing the rash (Steven Johnson Syndrome). Like I said, it is a minimal risk but you will increase that risk if you do not take the medication as perscribed.

Lamictal is a great med but takes time to get up to a therapeutic dose because of how slowly it is titrated. But when you finally get to the right dose which is somewhere between 200 -300mgs it works very well. My daughter is on it and is doing quite well. There aren't many meds like Lamictal that are weight neutral and address both the manic and depressive side of Bipolar. So I wouldn't exhaust it as an option and talk to your doctor about what you should do to resume it. It may just involve him calling in a script for some 25mg tablets to get you back on track.

Hope this helps...good luck ~ Goody

The Following User Says Thank You to goody2shuz For This Useful Post:
    chri0938 (01-06-2012)
    Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
    Llama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Llama HB User
    Re: keep forgetting to take lamictal

lamictal is a picky med. It depends on how many days have passed since the last time you took your usual dose. I know when I went off of it for a few weeks only I had to restart at the 25mg and work up again. This is due to the risk of getting a rash.

This is a question you must ask your pdoc.

As far as remembering to take meds I know it is hard, especially when you are just starting out. What helped me is to make it part of a routine. For me I always drink a can of mountain dew when I am heading out (to work or wherever) in the AM. I always take my meds with that. Plus now I take some meds at night and have been taking them always right before I brush my teeth. Just get a routine going and if you can pair it with something like that it is very helpful. Before you know it you will associate a part of your routine with taking your meds and it will become automatic.

Closed Thread