It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Sons new meds are Zyprexa, seroquel and depakote, comments?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User
    Sons new meds are Zyprexa, seroquel and depakote, comments?

Son was changed from risperdol shots, with risperdol tabs and depakote to depakote, seroquel and zyprexa.

The doctors said zyprexa is for bipoloar mania.

What is anyones take on these.

(To everyone dealing with BP or a loved one with BP, group hug, you are all very special to come on here and support)

cram315

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User
    Re: Sons new meds are Zyprexa, seroquel and depakote, comments?

Well, it sounds like a workable combination. Depakote is an older anti-epilepsy drug used commonly to treat BP -- it is considered a mood stabilizer. Seroquel and zyprexa are both in the atypical antipsychotic category of meds, and both are especially useful in managing BP mania.

Risperdal also is an atypical antipsychotic, so in effect, the pdoc is replacing the two types of risperdal that your son was on with seroquel and zyprexa. It often works well to use smaller dosages of several meds as they each work slightly different. Using several covers "more bases" so to speak!

Last edited by tsohl; 08-11-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
    davina33
    (female)

davina33 HB User

cram..how old is ur son? my13 yr old daughter has been on all kinds meds.. now shes in a mental hosiptal so she can get right meds and help...shes recently been on seroqueal but gained to much weight in a month and was takin off... then she was on abilify and had terrible belly aches.. now shes on riperdal 4mg and strattera 60mg and tenex and viseral.. docs at hosiptal seems to think this is good for her.. all i know is i hope so.. she has had med changes so many times and nuttins ever done any good... but they did take her off the adderall xr and ridlin.. she was on those with the risperdall 3mg and strattera 60mg.. but like i said now shes off those and just on strattera 60mg and the doc upped her rispersall to 4mg.. so i wish u all the best.. and i agree group (((((((((((huggssssss)))))))))....davina

Last edited by davina33; 08-11-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
    munchie11
    (female)

munchie11 HB User

Hi cram

I was on Zyprexa and it was a great drug for mania, within 6 months though, I gained 30 kg, then went off it. I lost most of the weight, then went on Seroquel and gained another 20 kg. I found them really good for bipolar, but not for my physical health problems that I have now due to my weight gain. They are both big weight gainers.

Munchiexxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by munchie11; 08-11-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added

Old 08-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

cram my son was on all 3 of those drugs..went off them for different reasons.. hes doing well with what hes taking now..topamax,zoloft and sometimes visteral to sleep. its non-narcotic--very similiar to benadryl..

Closed Thread