It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Feeling "unable to do (insert task)" but not depressed or manic??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
    projectvoid
    (male)

projectvoid HB User
    Angry Feeling "unable to do (insert task)" but not depressed or manic??

I'm new here so first of all let me say Hi.

(If you want to skip all the back story and just get to the question, skip down 2 paragraphs) I've been diagnosed as being bipolar about 5 months ago or so after about 5 or 6 years of thinking it was normal and how everyone functioned. Which explains why highschool and the start of college have been so difficult. Luckly what I went/am going through isn't as bad as some of the cases I've read about. I cycle fast, every week going from depression for about a day, then the next I'd spike up to hypo-manic for a few hours then my mood would slowly decend to depression again. It was funny before I started on lithium it was so regular I could almost set my clock by it.

The lithium worked wonders for the first two months, life had a new meaning and for the first time I actually felt happy. But things didn't last I stopped after another month because myself and many doctors thought I had a bad reaction, I felt tired all the time and wasn't exactly depressed but I didn't have emotions anymore, among many other things. After another 2 months of hell it turns out it was all because I went to a new pharmacy which gave me capsules instead of tablets. Why I didn't realize the switch would make a difference or why any of the doctors didn't think this might be a problem I don't know but atleast I can get back on the lithium. Yay! Anyways, on to the question.

I can deal with the depression and hypomaina as the episodes last a day at the most and have become less sever and even less frequent with lithium. My problem is the time inbetween. I almost always have this feeling where there's something I want to do, but for some reason have the inability to do it. Deep down I know I want to do whatever it is but I just can't bring myself to it and end up distracting myself with something else. And I don't mean not wanting to do chores and things everyone hates to do but things I actually enjoy and want to do like drawing, painting, play guitar, reading, basically anything that takes brain power and concentration it seems like. I even have problems following a schedule, regardless if I have the time and means available to do whatever it is on the list, I'm incapable of doing it and end up being distracted with something else. I occasionally have racing thoughts when this happens but most of the time I feel perfectly normal. I'm curious whether anyone else has this kind of problem and whether it's from being bipolar or it's something psychological because I can't seem to find anything online. It would make sense if it was ADD but I'm also on wellbutrin which is supposed to help treat that. And all the medical professionals I've spoke with always give that "it's possible it could be from this or that" answer which doesn't explain or remedy anything because they have no idea what it is. More importantly if anyone has this same problem is there a way to overcome it? Any help or direction would be great because I've run out of ideas. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
    steflou
    (female)

steflou HB User
    Re: Feeling "unable to do (insert task)" but not depressed or manic??

Hi, I'm new as well so I am certainly no expert. My husband was diagnosed 2 weeks ago although has had symptoms of bp for at least 20 years. He is an awesome transmission mechanic who is now working as a ranch mechanic. A little bit out of his field. Anyhow, he was rebuilding the owner's transmission, which he has done 100's of times and forgot how to do it. It took him 3 times longer than it used to. I don't know how common it is but you are not alone. We are meeting with his dr tomorrow so if he has any answers I'll share them.

Closed Thread