It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• does lamictal rash look like ringworm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
    sear36
    (female)

sear36 HB User
    does lamictal rash look like ringworm

Does Lamictal rash look like ringworm?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
    Re: does lamictal rash look like ringworm

Hi, Sear.....from what I have been told by a dermatologist, you will know a Lamictal rash since the rash starts out with something around the size of a half dollar that is raised and filled with fluid. It will almost appear to be like a first degree burn that has blistered. It also involves the mucous membranes in the mouth and the eyes. There are pictures you can find if you were to do a search looking for images. It is referred to as Steven Johnson Syndrome. I hope that helps you out.

What dosage are you on and how quickly did you increase it????? And when was your last increase?? If you have a rash that you are not sure of you should stop the Lamictal until it is evaluated by a dermatologist because feeding yourself with any more Lamictal can make it progress to something that may require hospitalization IF it is the Lamictal rash.

Good luck and please let us know how things go ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 10-14-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
    tony72
    Inactive
    (female)

tony72 HB User
    Re: does lamictal rash look like ringworm

Well, not really. I did get a rash after starting the Lamictal, and it did start out like ringworm (on my stomach). I had one spot that got about the size of a squished quarter, then a day or two later I got another few small red spots on the other side of my stomach. About 4-5 days later I got a heat looking rash, and all those began to become larger and scaley. They continued to grow and spread even though I had stopped the Lamictal and started steroids = which should have stopped it after a week. My understanding.

My rash is called a Christmas tree rash. Harmless and not directly related to the Lamictal. The Lamictal may have started the exposure of the virus, but when I went off the med the rash continued. I restared my Lamictal after seeing several Dr.'s. My body just needed to recieve the Lamictal at a lower dose. It may have possibily been a shocked system response.

If your getting sores in your mouth, around your eyes, groin or lymph node areas then I belive you need to see a dr.

I hope this helps you...I know it is frightening. How long have you been on the Lamictal and do you just have one spot or multiple, where is it?

Closed Thread