It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• weight, geodon, wellbutrin, amongst others!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
    Llama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Llama HB User
    weight, geodon, wellbutrin, amongst others!

Guys help me with this. Do you gain weight with geodon?

Do you re-gain weight when you get off of wellbutrin?

Will I doubly gain because of getting off of wellbutrin and getting on geodon?

It never ends!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
    Dee-nah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dee-nah HB User
    Re: weight, geodon, wellbutrin, amongst others!

Geodon is weight neutral so you shouldn't gain while on it... As far as getting off Wellburtrin I'm really not sure. My best advice is to watch what you eat and try to stay active, I know this is hard especially in a depressive state BUT the results are amazing for the mind..

Old 10-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Dee-nah brings up an excellent point....better to find the right meds to take care of that mind and not worry too much about the side effects right now. Every person will respond to a given med differently so even if somebody here says that they didn't gain on Geodon that doesn't necessarily mean you won't.....visa versa. So....take things in stride, you certainly don't want to have another night like the other night happening....right??

So what happened, Llama....we were soo worried about you the other night. Did you finally get things straightened out with the pnurse and pharmacy. I sure hope that doesn't happen to you again. Geeez Louise!!!

Anyway...so what is the plan...what did the pdoc say???

I hope that you can get those meds working and that you will soon be on your way to getting better. Try to do as the doctor instructed and deal with any given problems along the way. You may be surprised when the new meds actually start making you feel better. And remember to give the meds a fighting chance....it'll take your body time to make the adjustments.

So glad that you posted....keep us updated....ok??

Lots of (((((HUGS))))) ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 10-25-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
    tony72
    Inactive
    (female)

tony72 HB User

Llama,

I have the same questions about Effexor and others. I've finally decided that I can't base my weight gain on what the side effects say. I've lost with some that are supposed to make you gain weight, and gained with others that are supposed to help you lose weight.

I also love the labels that say..... Side effects: may cause weight loss, may cause weight gain .... all in the same list. heehehhheheh

Now that I've started to feel better - I think it is the Deplin! - I've actually started walking/jogging again for the first time in 5 years.

See, who know what the right med's can do. T

Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
    Pri Lily
    Inactive
    (female)

Pri Lily HB User

Tony is right...

Another list of side-effects will say....may cause diarrhea or constipation.

All that means, is that they've taken a group of people, and listed everything that happened to everyone.

So, Llama...the geodon may cause weight gain...or loss....or neither!

Lil

Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
    Sunka
    (female)

Sunka HB User

I agree with these guys....different meds work differently on different people, but just to be totally honest, I lost 40 pounds while taking Geodon over the course of 10 months. I discontinued it because of another side effect that really bothered me but I won't mention so you don't develop it after reading this, ok. Good luck with your meds!!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

I don't have experience with Geodon, but a friend takes it and lost weight. Wellbutrin actually gives me an appetite, but makes me wired, and I have an ED anyway and have been losing weight without meaning to, so for me, I am trying desperately to gain.
    My friend was also on and off Wellbutrin, but that didn't effect her weight.
    But she has an ED, too, so who knows?
    I hope you get stabilized soon, glad you're seeking help.

Seaturtle

Old 10-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
    LoudWhispers
    (male)

LoudWhispers HB User

I take Geodon without side effects but your mileage may vary.

I put on weight with Zyprexa and was too sleepy with Abilify.

The third time, Geodon, was the charm.

LW

Last edited by LoudWhispers; 10-25-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
    tony72
    Inactive
    (female)

tony72 HB User

That is a great point... I have had side effects one time while taking medication and then the next time I had no side effects. It is also very interesting to see the Placebo comparisons.

I just wish you the very best regardless of the med. I do know that worrying about it will add to your side effect responses.

((((((( Big Hug )))))))

Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
    Llama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Llama HB User

Thanks for the support guys! I guess I need to be reminded of things sometimes lol. It's like something you kind of already know but you just need to hear it from someone else to feel comfortable and reassured. So thank you all again!

And tony I am so happy to hear that you are starting to feel better with that new med. Interesting, I've never heard of it! And I thought I knew them all. lol

Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
    Tinkerbell79
    (female)

Tinkerbell79 HB User

Llama,
    I've come to find out that everything has a side effect lol. When I was first put on my meds I was more worried about the weight gain than I was about the sleepiness. Now it's the complete opposite. I could really care less about the weight gain but I dont' wanna be so tired all the time. I really CAN NOT take my Seroquel until I see my pdoc this week. But everyone else made a good point and it is true that you need to worry about your mind more importantly than your weight at the moment. And if you watch what you eat and exercise that shouldn't be a problem. I hope this helps you feel a little better. =)
    ((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))

Closed Thread