HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   What's the Difference between BP irritability and PMS? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/547303-whats-difference-between-bp-irritability-pms.html)

Sunka 10-26-2007 09:03 PM

What's the Difference between BP irritability and PMS?

Hey, can anybody tell me how to tell the difference between PMS and bp irritability? I've got several issues going on and it's hard to tell what to do. For one thing, I'm "peri-menopausal" (meaning I'm irregular) but it's around normally be 'that time'...I've been off meds for 7 weeks and been rollercoastering while on the search for a good stabilizer...and I've been SOOOOOO grouchy, growly and isolative. I've tried chocolate, Bigelow tea, waccy tobaccy, bubble baths...I can't tell what is making me feel this way, whether it's hormones or my disorder. Any way to tell the difference????

Pri Lily 10-26-2007 09:41 PM

Re: What's the Difference between BP irritability and PMS?

ahhhh it's probably both.

I am still regular....but I will get incredibly irritable about three days before I get my period. When I say regular, I get a period every month....but not always on schedule.

Unfortunately, I don't always realize that this is why I'm so irritable, until I get my period....then I say....that's what the problem was.

I have been told, by Doctors, that BP compounds PMS irritability...that we get PMS worse than the average person.

All I can suggest, is when you get your period, think of what the past few days were like, and that's what PMS irritability is like compared to regular BP irritability.

I think that's right....

Lil

Llama 10-26-2007 10:38 PM

Oh good question. I don't know if there is any way to tell if it is one or the other. I think they can be intertwined a lot of the time which is frustrating I know! It's taking me a long time to learn that my symptoms (bp) can get worse around "that time of the month." A lot of time they do. yucky.

Dee-nah 10-27-2007 06:37 AM

PMS is definitely worse for me and for some reason one month is worse then the other??? I orginally thought I had that PMSD and not BP!

tony72 10-27-2007 12:08 PM

Hey you all !!

I know for me... I used to be a regular freak during my cycle - My family would want to flee for safety! hehahaha

Anyway, Now that I'm getting regular med's It has gotten tons better. I still have to take xanax a few times right before my cycle, but for the most part it is controlled. Or should I say I'm not a screaming, crying, fighting, angry, bitter, pull your hair out lunitic. roarrrrrrr.

My opinion is that they go hand in hand. For us with BP I believe it is worse during this time.

Off to Barnes and Nobles!!!! :bouncing: - daisey girl (tony)

Llama 10-27-2007 10:40 PM

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who gets worse around "that time of the month"! It must truly mess with our hormones and thus affect the bp negatively. I think it would b e agood idea to keep a chart so I know when my cycle should occur about and then be prepared!

pookie247 10-30-2007 12:23 AM

My doctor told me that a birth controll can sometimes do the trick for both the PMS and BP and that is all it takes is to controll the hormones in a woman. I actually was one one and it did help but started to put on weight so I went off of it, but now the other med I am on I am putting on weight to I think the pill helped better not sure?:)