It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• I never see anyone talking about "Carbatrol" ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User
    Smile I never see anyone talking about "Carbatrol" ??

I have bipolar and my doctor just put me on Carbatrol for my bipolar type II. I have tried a million types of medicines for depression and bipolar for years, some worked for a short while, but mostly none of them worked very well without major side effects.

As far as the Carbatrol, so far so good, although it's only been one day, but I have some energy today and feel pretty good so far.

Has anyone else been given this for Bipolar type II? I am also temporarily on Xanax, because I was sent to the ER for a severe Panic attack due to my crazy Borderline mother, she also has Histrionic Personality Disorder and is just one very evil woman and she causes me much unecessary stress. So I have decided after my ER visit to cut off all contact with my mother for my own health.

As far as Carbatrol, how did you do on it? Is anyone here taking it?

Thanks,

Maria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
    ridersam
    (female)

ridersam HB User
    Re: I never see anyone talking about "Carbatrol" ??

Hi there, "Carbatrol" is Carbamazepine. It has many trade names, mine is called "Tegretol" - same medicine. It is an older epilepsy drug, and can work really well in some people as a mood stabiliser. It is not used as often now since the use of newer drugs. It does not cause weight gain as far as I know. I use it in combination with Lithium. The biggest drawback are side effects, so not all people with Bipolar can handle it. Blood tests need to be done regularly to check levels.You may have been started on a low dose first and then gradually increased over a period of time. I'm on 600mg which seems fine for me especially combined with Lithium. I do believe it makes me tired(drowsy), but you can get used to it over time, in which I have.
    Can you ask the pharmacy for an information leaflet?
    Take care.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
    fineanddandy
    (female)

fineanddandy HB User

Carbatrol is a long-acting form of Tegretol. I took it for a while with good results but had to stop it because of intense itching (I would draw blood at night from scratching so much).

Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

Can I ask what you are taking now for your bipolar? And is it working?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
    fineanddandy
    (female)

fineanddandy HB User

If you're asking me, I am currently taking Seroquel, a very small dose of Zoloft, Lunesta for sleep, and I am beginning Lamictal. The Lunesta and Lamictal have just been added in the last month because I haven't been stable at all since I got the bright idea to wean the Seroquel on my own. I hope that I never do anything that stupid again!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User
    Smile Re: I never see anyone talking about "Carbatrol" ??

Yes I was asking you, thanks for responding.
    Yes, we bipolar people sometimes start to feel really good on a med and then we think that we are "all better" and we suddenly think we do not need medicine anymore and we stop taking it and then we are back to square one again, I have done that more times than I care to think about actually. But now I am a mother, and I have to take good care of my kids, so I MUST, MUST listen to the doctor's this time around. I would love to take Lunesta for sleep, but I have kids and need to be able to wake up if they cry in the middle of the night.
    What is Seroquel anyway?

So I started takin xanax for panic sometimes now, but also too for sleep at night as well as Melatonin, the Melatonin seems to work really good actually.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fineanddandy View Post
    If you're asking me, I am currently taking Seroquel, a very small dose of Zoloft, Lunesta for sleep, and I am beginning Lamictal. The Lunesta and Lamictal have just been added in the last month because I haven't been stable at all since I got the bright idea to wean the Seroquel on my own. I hope that I never do anything that stupid again!

Closed Thread