It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• 3rd time a charm?? Hearing voices...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User
    3rd time a charm?? Hearing voices...

Hi! I am just getting out of my third time in the psych ward. Was in for 11 days this time. I started hearing voices. They just kept screaming at me. Is this in any way related to Bipolar? I don't know. All I know is that I am now on Zyprexa for the voices. I am on Lithium 600mg 2x/day, Zyprexa 30 mg 1x/day, and Celexa 40 mg 1x/day. I was supposed to be on Effexor XR instead, but even with insurance, it was $122. I don't know what to do. I took the old bottle of Celexa and am using it instead of Effexor. The voices tell me that I am worthless, and I screwed up my entire life from the previous hospital visits. I haven't heard them in 4 days. I am so nervous. What is going on? I am so scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
    Llama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Llama HB User
    Re: 3rd time a charm?? Hearing voices...

Banana, I was worried about you because you hadn't posted in a long while! That is good that you are not hearing the voices anymroe. Do not listen to them. You are a worthwhile person and are loved here. Your life is not screwed up. The zyprexa seems to be working for you. Don't be nervous about the voices disappearing; this is a good thing!

And yes hearing voices si and can be a part of bipolar disorder so this is normal for some of us unfortunately. I have seen spiders before and have been paranoid about someone being in my apartment so I kind of know how you feel with the whole psychosis aspect.

And the cost of meds is just so frustrating. I hope that the celexa is working ok for you instead of the effexor. I have never been on celexa and don't know much about it. Maybe others know more?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks, Llama! Thanks for the reassurance! I have known that the voices were wrong (I could hear myself arguing, or at least I think it was me). Sorry that you have had to deal with the psychosis issue as well. I don't like the fact that some people label people those who hear voices and such as psychotic and crazy. I have a sister who feels this way. I hate it. What is going on with my life? I feel out of control of it. I am so glad for the Zyprexa.In the hospital, they were giving me the melt in your mouth tablets, and not only was I getting them at night, but as needed during the day. I am scared that once a day taking the regular tablets won't be enough. Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

Banana,

Sorry you had that happen. Scary, yes.

The stickie above the board lists hearing and seeing things as psychosis. It sounds as though you went into that.

I believe that the Zyprexa will help a whole lot with this, but check with your doc on this one, too.

Hang in there, the meds will control this.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thank you so much! The Zyprexa was given to me in order to stop the voices. But I am still having the voices a little bit. Yesterday they came. Today they didn't. I'll take what I can get. I am just so scared that onoe day they will come, and I will listen. I am not suicidal. But those voices are very persuasive. It's scary.
    So does having these voices make me crazy? Am I psychotic? I don't want to be labeled like that. I didn't ask for this. I want to be normal. I don't want to have to worry about when the voices are coming back.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

How long are you on Zyprexa? I think it might be a little while before it works entirely.
    Otherwise, keep in very close contact with your doc, and be sure to tell him your fears about them coming back.

Try to remind yourself that no, you are NOT cazy, these voices are just part of an illness, and the illness does not mean you're crazy. Know that they are symptom, and not real, and I am sure you will gain control over them with proper medication and some therapy.

Keep us posted as to how you are,

Seaturtle

Old 02-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
    IceBoy
    (male)

IceBoy HB User

In general... how common is this in bipolar? Any rates out there? Does it also matter which type of bipolar you have?

I just got diagnosed and I never knew this.. now I´m really scared because I´m young and don't know what new symptoms I might get in the future.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
    sassy8
    (female)

sassy8 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: 3rd time a charm?? Hearing voices...

I've heard voices before. It is scary. I believe that everybody is different and illneses effect us all different. Some sx are the same not all. Don't worry it may never happen to some of you. Banana try to relax. I know it's hard. You've been through alot. I hope that the medications will stop this sx and that they'll never come back. I wish you the best. Here's an angel for you Sassy

Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Seaturtle, thank you so much!! I have been on the Zyprexa for about 2 weeks now. I hate being afraid of myself. Thanks for reassuring me about not being crazy!! I went to the counselor today, and she is going to teach me some things to help lower the voices.
    Iceboy, I don't know the rates, but I sure wish I did. I am only 21 with it happening. But don't worry, hopefully you will never have to live with this (the psychosis part).

Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks Sassy!! It is definitely scary to hear the voices. I am trying to relax, but it is just so hard. I just don't want to be thought of as crazy. I am sorry that you have had to deal with hearing voices as well. I don't understand what's happening. I haven't heard them today, so that is a plus. That is always a happy thought. I just have to live a day at a time.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
    CarenR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CarenR HB User

I was in the hospital in 2006.. and they put me on Zyprexa. since then I have been stable. I believe the zyprexa. is a wonderful drug.. I will always be taking it......

Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Caren, what are the symptoms that Zyprexa is controlling for you? Is it good for voices? It has been helping me off and on for me, but I am scared that it is going to be hit and miss with everyday. I don't know what to do. But today no voices!!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
    IceBoy
    (male)

IceBoy HB User

Thanx banana, maybe I will never get it. No need to freak out before it happens Its just that I have anxiety and paranoia, I can imagine myself having a heart attack if it would ever happen. People have actually been scared to death so I wish you the best dealing with this.

Do you also have paranoia in general and anxiety? I sometimes get the feeling like someone is behind me, especially when some of my senses are interrupted like when taking a shower, washing the dishes, changing a sweater, electricity goes off, listening to loud music... so on. I'm wondering if paranoia could be the first step before voices or hallucinations. Also is it as obvious and strong as they make it seem in the movies, or more like some kind a self-dialog?

Also I´m on stimulants and my doctors wants to try it longer but I´m sure it makes my bipolar and obsessions worse, maybe increasing the risks of symptoms like that in the future? Anyway again I wish you all the best and thanx everybody for great responses.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Hi, Iceboy, I have been close to being diagnosed with paranoia. I don't knoww that it a precursor to voices. The voices are not from the outside as in schizophrenia. They are all in my head. I hear them, but nobody else does. It isn't my voice. My voice is arguing back. The only way anyone can tell I am hearing the voices is if I start to pace, or I start shaking my head no. I don't realize when I start shaking my head. It is scary when the voices scream at me because I am not listening to them. Well, I hope this helps, but I want to reassure you that I don't think many people get the psychosis.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

Iceboy, hi,

I've wondered about you being on stimulants. It'd seem they would just make the anxiety and obsessions worse. I know I can't even drink coffee any more.

Do you find the stimulants help you - in what way? And do you remember if you felt better in general when not taking them?

Of course I am no doctor, but it just seems to me that stimulants might make everything worse, including the bp.

Good luck with them, and thanks for all your good posts. You always have kindness, and something helpful to say.

Seaturtle

Closed Thread