It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Mood stabilizers with anti depressant qualities

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
    PrincessPotato
    (female)

PrincessPotato HB User
    Mood stabilizers with anti depressant qualities

Does anyone know if mood stabilizers that have a high anti depressant quality can have the same effects as anti depressants when used for Bipolar Disdorder?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
    Llama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Llama HB User
    Re: Mood stabilizers with anti depressant qualities

I don't know if it has exactly the same effect but lamictal is supposed to be very good for the depressive side of bp. Also, seroquel is approved for bp depression. These are just some options if you are struggling with bp depression. Hope that helps.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I believe that Lamictal has good antidepressant qualities, at least it has for me.

It might be worth a try.

Seaturtle

Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
    fineanddandy
    (female)

fineanddandy HB User

As previously stated - Lamictal and Seroquel are the two mood stabilizers with the best anti-depressant effect.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
    PrincessPotato
    (female)

PrincessPotato HB User

I am on Valproate acid right now and it has strong anti depressant qualities.

I guess I wasn't very clear in what I was asking.

What I was trying to say wwas that for a lot of people with bipolar disorder they cannot use anti depressants because it cycles them into mania or mixed states. So I was wondering if the same could be said for mood stabilizers with strong anti depressant qualities.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
    erin609
    (female)

erin609 HB User

They can help with the depression. Seroquel is very sedating, so use caution that you don't just sleep the day away. That's no good for depression. But of you are on the right dosage, it's really helpful. I had anxiety attacks, mania, and depression and it helped with all of those. I only switched off it this week - I can't take this weight gaiin anymore. Geodon is very similer, just not as sedating. Some people find it VERY strong. I haven't noticed anything like that. But I was pretty high dosage - 700 mg/day. But I didn't get depressed in 2 years. So I'm still a fan of how it works.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I, too, have heard that Lamictal works quite well for preventing bipolar depressive episodes. Although Lithium is sort of in a category of its own, medication-wise, it is indeed a type of mood stabilizer (albeit one that isn't also an anti-epileptic), and it has been shown to prevent bipolar depressive episodes quite well in some individuals. It is best known for its anti-manic properties, but, for those who respond well to Lithium alone, it works to treat both depressive and (hypo)manic episodes.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

No, mood stabilizers shouldn't create (hypo)manic/mixed episodes, despite the fact that they also work on depressive episodes. This is because they don't work the same way that the SSRIs do. The SSRIs increase the amount of serotonin in the brain, and increased serotonin may be a cause of (hypo)mania. This is why someone with bipolar disorder should never take an SSRI alone. However, sometimes, a mood stabilizer (be it Lithium or an anti-epileptic) or an atypical anti-psychotic (like Seroquel) is not enough to help with the depressive states, since these drugs help more as anti-manic agents, so doctors sometimes prescribe an SSRI, in addition to the anti-manic drug. So long as the mood stabilizer is there for prevention of the (hypo)mania and the doctor is closely monitoring the individual's moods, it seems to be okay to give an SSRI in that situation ONLY. At any rate, the mood stabilizers are prescribed first and foremost as anti-manic agents. This is why somebody with unipolar depression almost always is prescribed an SSRI, not a mood stabilizer. Hope this helped, and please excuse the double post!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 03-27-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
    Bru023
    (male)

Bru023 HB User

No a mood stabilizer does exactly what is said in its name it keeps you stable not to happy not too sad and are used for bipolar and schizophrenia due to our unstable nature . A mood stabilizer could be mixed with something like Zoloft .

I myself am bipolar and my doc gave me Zoloft to take by its self and i have had no mania at all . i havent had mania since i was first diagnosed im just depressed i guess and anxious.I am now off the zoloft because i didnt feel a big change im going to look into lamital or valporic acid

Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
    Bunnylover
    (female)

Bunnylover HB User

I take Lamictal, for Bipolar II, primarily depression, and have found that it on occasion pushes me into a hypo-manic state. Dr. and I are still working on finding exactly the right mix of medicines, life style changes, etc.

That said, if Lamictal continues working as well as it has, I will take the occasional manic day--being manic mostly just means I get a clean house (but no work done.)

Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
    cyclomaniac
    (female)

cyclomaniac HB User

lamictal changed my life. i love it. i pray that it continues to work for years to come.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #12
    ami00
    (female)

ami00 HB User
    Talking Re: Mood stabilizers with anti depressant qualities

hi. i take lamictal also as a mood stabilizer. although, i do take it with paxil and when taken daily, it is like i'm another person. i love it.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
    Loubiegirl24
    (female)

Loubiegirl24 HB User

I am on Seroquel, but I am on such a low dosage compared to everyone else! I'm on 50mg at night to help me sleep, but even THAT makes me groggy and exhausted in the morning. Is there anything other than Seroquel I can take? I don't really have the depressive aspect (except lately because the Seroquel made me FAT) I am more manic than anything. I am on lithium, but I don't know if its working becuase I don't know how its supposed to feel, if you kwim?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Loubiegirl,
    Is that the only reason your pdoc put you on Seroquel, for sleep? If so, there are tons of other meds for sleep, I take Ambien CR and Sonata with 450mg of Seroquel at night, so that I can sleep for a few hours.

Cehck with your pdoc to see if he will cut your Seroquel down to 25 mg. But if the weight thing is an issue talk to your pdoc about something else for sleep. I used to take Lithium years ago but it made me a zombie, I didn't care or feel anything at all.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
    Llama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Llama HB User

Loubie, there are many other meds out there that you can take. If the seroquel has been given a fair chance (a month at a therapeutic dose, unless you absolutely cannot tolerate it) then maybe it is time to try something new! There are many mood stabilizers like lamictal, tegretol, depakote, etc. Also many more antispychotics like abilify, risperdol, invega, zyprexa, etc. Talk to your pdoc about your options and let us know how it goes.

Closed Thread