It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• What do you do when you're depressed at work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
    Selket
    (female)

Selket HB User
    Unhappy What do you do when you're depressed at work?

I'm a rapid-cycler and i've been overall mostly down the last few days. This morning i was feeling pretty good, but not quite right, then about an hour or so ago i took a big plunge into depression. I'm surprised i'm even writing this but i don't know what to do. I'm at work right now and i just want to go home and hide under the covers all day. What am i supposed to do, tell people "i've gotta go home now, i'm depressed"? my co-workers know i'm bipolar but i'm not sure they understand. what do you do when you're at work and depression hits? I know i have a lot of work to do but i can't motivate myself to do it which just adds to the stress and makes the depression worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
    tigger5150
    (female)

tigger5150 HB User
    Re: What do you do when you're depressed at work?

I have been in your shoes for several months now where I have to come in generally depressed. If I can find something to keep me busy it helps a little.... but if not it is horrible and I honestly don't know how I make it through the day. Perhapss you do need to take a "time out" and say you aren't feeling well and go home.....

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I'm a rapid cycler myself, so I know what you are going through. I don't work (I'm a college student), but some of the things I've found helpful whenever I'm feeling depressed before, during or after a lecture are to bring along an MP3 player and listen to my favorite music, read a good book -- I prefer humorous audiobooks, talk to a friend on the phone, call my tdoc for a telephone session, eat chocolate or drink some caffeine to help improve my mood. I don't know if what I've written will make any difference for you, but it certainly helps me.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 02-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
    irishwriter
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irishwriter HB User

am not normally functioning well enough to work but recently had to chef for a function and got through it by calling pdoc during it for quick encouragement. can you do that at work? do you have that kind of access to pdoc? maybe the people at work might understand that you need to leave. sorry can't be of more help.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
    Selket
    (female)

Selket HB User

You guys have all given me great ideas to help me deal with this in the future. I ended up having some caffeine with my lunch and it swung me into a mixed state where I was hyper and manic but sleepy and non-productive. I was happy and joking around but couldn't motivate myself to do any work and I wanted to go to sleep. Those are such strange moods. I'm feeling pretty good today. I'm thinking that I may need a different mood stabilizer other than Depakote. Any of you taking anything besides Depakote as a mood stabilizer/anti-psychotic? I used to be on Zyprexa and it worked great but I gained so much weight that it became unhealthy.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Do you have like a quick fix like some sort of antianxiety med you can take at work to get you through break through depressions like that....Or maybe nutrition wise you need sort of a quick pick me up of fruit or candy or whatever you need. No you can't go home or even talk about it to coworkers cuz they only care that you do your work/pull your own weight. So experiment around and see what it takes to get you through. We all have our low time of the day and for me it is around 3 in the afternoon I just want to sleep but can't.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
    Selket
    (female)

Selket HB User

I have adavan for when I'm in social situations and starting to panic. I never thought about taking it for depression. I suppose that might work except for it makes me sleepy. Maybe I'll try it next time.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I usually forget that I'm depressed cause it gets so busy where I work. But making myself get in there everyday is the hard thing.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

When I was hospitalized in November after being manic for several weeks, the attending pdoc prescribed 100mg of Lamictal since his primary concern was to bring me down from my mania. Apparently it worked because within a week, I was back to feeling level again.

Besides the Geodon I'm currently on, I've also taken Risperdal. I took the latter for anger, auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia.

Unfortunately, it didn't help even at high doses, so I was switched to Geodon.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-12-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
    irishwriter
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Selket View Post
    I'm a rapid-cycler and i've been overall mostly down the last few days. This morning i was feeling pretty good, but not quite right, then about an hour or so ago i took a big plunge into depression. I'm surprised i'm even writing this but i don't know what to do. I'm at work right now and i just want to go home and hide under the covers all day. What am i supposed to do, tell people "i've gotta go home now, i'm depressed"? my co-workers know i'm bipolar but i'm not sure they understand. what do you do when you're at work and depression hits? I know i have a lot of work to do but i can't motivate myself to do it which just adds to the stress and makes the depression worse.
    should have mentioned that xanax is great for calming down if stressed and in small doses doesn't cause sleepiness. might be worth a try. have you tried lithium or lamictal?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
    sathyan1
    (male)

sathyan1 HB User

the first thing you have to do when you are depressed is that you have to be patient and think about the cause and you will gradually find a way to get rid off depression and most important thing is not to make any hasty decision when you are in a depression.
    ----
    sathyan

Last edited by sathyan1; 02-13-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: mistake

Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sometimes there is no explanation for depression. I'm feeling severely depressed right now, but can't tell you why. The only reason I can come up with is that I rapid cycle on an hourly basis.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
    irishwriter
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Selket View Post
    You guys have all given me great ideas to help me deal with this in the future. I ended up having some caffeine with my lunch and it swung me into a mixed state where I was hyper and manic but sleepy and non-productive. I was happy and joking around but couldn't motivate myself to do any work and I wanted to go to sleep. Those are such strange moods. I'm feeling pretty good today. I'm thinking that I may need a different mood stabilizer other than Depakote. Any of you taking anything besides Depakote as a mood stabilizer/anti-psychotic? I used to be on Zyprexa and it worked great but I gained so much weight that it became unhealthy.

Thanks again everyone for your help!
    selket, am on lamictal and just started abilify both of which are supposed to be weight neutral. the last thing a depressed person needs to deal with is weight gain. talk to your pdoc about maybe changing your meds or adding something else in. it takes a while to get the right combination.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
    irishwriter
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irishwriter HB User

i am of the belief that depression/bp is caused by chemical imbalance in the brain because the hour or two when the meds worked i felf normal again. so am holding on to the hope that this new combo will work for me. it is not situational depression which is a whole other condition and much easier to treat.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #15
    irishwriter
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
    Sometimes there is no explanation for depression. I'm feeling severely depressed right now, but can't tell you why. The only reason I can come up with is that I rapid cycle on an hourly basis.
    dreams in neon
    rapid cycling is awful to deal with. do you have klonopin or xanax?, i find they're a great help when i get into that mode.

Closed Thread