It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Question About Klonopin - Please Respond

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
    Question About Klonopin - Please Respond

Hi everyone,

Does Klonopin eventually reach the point where it stops working and your dose needs to be raised? My pdoc told me the reason my original dose of 1 tablet/day no longer worked was because of my mania, but I'm wondering if the same thing can happen when a person feels level?
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-08-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
    light the world
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

light the world HB User
    Re: Question About Klonopin - Please Respond

I'm not 100% sure but it kind of would make sence if this was the case. Not just with clonazepam but with ativan as well. When I was taking 4mg of ativan a day it just eventually started to not treat the anxiety as well as it used to.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 05-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'll have to keep an eye on my symptoms and how Klonopin treats them. So far, it's definitely helping my mania. Instead of feeling full blown manic, I now feel hypomanic.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-08-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye on my symptoms and how Klonopin treats them. So far, it's definitely helping my mania. Instead of feeling full blown manic, I now feel hypomanic.
    The problem with this is twofold...you can only go to 4mg max a day, so once you reach that, what you just stop taking it? Next, it's the strongest benzo, so once you're maxed on it there's not really a next one to go up to.

So these to could cause considerable problems once you run out of tolerance...

kat

Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
    The problem with this is twofold...you can only go to 4mg max a day, so once you reach that, what you just stop taking it? Next, it's the strongest benzo, so once you're maxed on it there's not really a next one to go up to.

So these to could cause considerable problems once you run out of tolerance...

kat
    I don't think that will be a problem since I plan to decrease my dose to 1 tablet/day once my moods level out. If I start rapid cycling or become manic, I'll increase my dose the way my pdoc prescribed. If I take Klonopin in this manner, my body shouldn't build up a tolerance to it that quickly.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-08-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
    Hi everyone,

Does Klonopin eventually reach the point where it stops working and your dose needs to be raised? My pdoc told me the reason my original dose of 1 tablet/day no longer worked was because of my mania, but I'm wondering if the same thing can happen when a person feels level?
    Dreams,

I was just responding to this question, because these are things my pdoc told me since I have a very strong tolerance to these types of meds.

But good luck with the way your doing it.

kat

Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Dreams,

I was just responding to this question, because these are things my pdoc told me since I have a very strong tolerance to these types of meds.

But good luck with the way your doing it.

kat
    Increasing my dose to 4x/day is what my pdoc recommended for now given my mixed state and inability to sleep.

He also said I could take Klonopin 2-3x/day when I'm level to help control my rapid cycling and 4x/day to control mania when I'm manic.

I also have a very high tolerance to meds.

In fact, my pdoc told me yesterday that I'm on a much higher dose of meds than most people (with the exception of Fluoxetine) so I face the same issue and have similar concerns.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-08-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Increasing my dose to 4x/day is what my pdoc recommended for now given my mixed state and inability to sleep.

He also said I could take Klonopin 2-3x/day when I'm level to help control my rapid cycling and 4x/day to control mania when I'm manic.

I also have a very high tolerance to meds.

In fact, my pdoc told me yesterday that I'm on a much higher dose of meds than most people (with the exception of Fluoxetine) so I face the same issue and have similar concerns.
    It sucks doesn't it when we can't just be normal liek other people. Mine comes from bein on heavy high-powered narcotics and opiates for the past 7 yrears.

kat

Old 05-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    It sucks doesn't it when we can't just be normal liek other people. Mine comes from bein on heavy high-powered narcotics and opiates for the past 7 yrears.

kat
    Things haven't been normal for me ever since I was born. I only weighed 2 pounds at birth, I almost died twice, I was given high levels of oxygen and blood transfer, I had high billirubin levels, I was given ototoxic drugs and antibiotics which destroyed my hearing, I was born blind due to stage 5 retinopathy of prematurity, my lungs collapsed several times which necessitated the need for chest tubes.

I also had all of the following complications:

1. Respiratory Distress Syndrome (severe)
    2. Retinopathy of Prematurity
    4. Patent Ductus Arteriosus
    5. Sepsis
    6. Anemia
    7. Necrotizing Enterocolitis
    8. Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
    9. Apnea
    10. Jaundice (severe)
    11. Pneumothorax

That doesn't even include my severe billateral CTS, migraines (due to environmental factors, barometric weather changes, stress, illness and food allergies), edema, sleep apnea, severe year round allergies (dust, pollen, mold, ragweed, pet dander, cigarette/pipe/cigar smoke, perfume/cologne, food allergies), deafness, blindness, PTSD and of course, bipolar.

Despite that, I do the best I can. What other choice do I have?

Besides, I'm very lucky to be alive. I almost died twice and if it were not for the miracle of medical technology, I wouldn't be here today.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
    BipolarPrincess
    Veteran
    (female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
    Things haven't been normal for me ever since I was born. I only weighed 2 pounds at birth, I almost died twice, I was given high levels of oxygen and blood transfer, I had high billirubin levels, I was given ototoxic drugs and antibiotics which destroyed my hearing, I was born blind due to stage 5 retinopathy of prematurity, my lungs collapsed several times which necessitated the need for chest tubes.

I also had all of the following complications:

1. Respiratory Distress Syndrome (severe)
    2. Retinopathy of Prematurity
    4. Patent Ductus Arteriosus
    5. Sepsis
    6. Anemia
    7. Necrotizing Enterocolitis
    8. Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
    9. Apnea
    10. Jaundice (severe)
    11. Pneumothorax

That doesn't even include my severe billateral CTS, migraines (due to environmental factors, barometric weather changes, stress, illness and food allergies), edema, sleep apnea, severe year round allergies (dust, pollen, mold, ragweed, pet dander, cigarette/pipe/cigar smoke, perfume/cologne, food allergies), deafness, blindness, PTSD and of course, bipolar.

Despite that, I do the best I can. What other choice do I have?

Besides, I'm very lucky to be alive. I almost died twice and if it were not for the miracle of medical technology, I wouldn't be here today.
    Oh my goodness dreams. You have so much wrong, but yet such a positive outlook. It makes me feel so selfish to be the way I am, so depressed and consumed with it and my anxiety,wondering WHY ME- when you have SO much more going on. You are truly an inspiration for me. I want to be strong like you.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BipolarPrincess View Post
    Oh my goodness dreams. You have so much wrong, but yet such a positive outlook. It makes me feel so selfish to be the way I am, so depressed and consumed with it and my anxiety,wondering WHY ME- when you have SO much more going on. You are truly an inspiration for me. I want to be strong like you.
    (((BipolarPrincess)))

Thanks!

Please don't feel selfish because we all have our struggles to deal with in life. I'm just thankful that a majority of mine occurred when I was too young to realize what was happening to me.

As far as my blindness is concerned, there are times where I wish I could drive (particularly in the winter), but you can't miss what you never had. Sometimes I wish I could see a sunset, a surise, the deep blue sky on a bright sunny day, a rainbow, the faces of my family and friends as well as my guide dog Tigger, but if truth be told, I'm perfectly content being blind because it's all I've ever known.

I lost my hearing in 1995 and as a result, lost the ability to enjoy music for the next 10 years. When that happened, I felt as if a part of me had died because music has been a part of my life since I was 5 years old.

Whenever I feel like giving up because of my bipolar, I think of 2 things: I remember the fact that I survived my premature birth when my chances of survival were thought to be "quite poor" (according to my neonatal records) and I remind myself that if I managed to live without music for 10 years, I can survive bipolar.

My favorite motto is "I may have bipolar, but bipolar does not have me."

Now...if only I could remember that on my difficult days!
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-08-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

My list is not much smaller than yours actually,

I was born without a whole in my throat, or should I say the one I had was the size of a needle head. By the time I left the hospital I was very mal nutrituous although the hosp. docs told my mom I was fine, she decided to stop at the famiy peds. ofc on the way home becaus she knes something was wrong, and he examined me and then cut my through open right there in his office, because of that I had much small throat, tongue, tonsuls, ears, etc. which caused problems throughout my childhood. I also was in leg braces for 3 years and did not learn how to properly walk until I was 4 years old. I've had pneumonia 24 times so far in my life. When I was 17 yrs. my chrondomylasia and degernerative disc disease started in my knees and hips, I've had to have 10 operations to deal with that so I can remain able to walk, I have a reconstruction and tibial osteotomy to do this summer and thien should be good for uup to 4 or 5 years before I have to have both knees completely replaced. The disease is now moving into my hips and makes it hard to get up and move in the mornings, much less walk.. So that has made things very difficult. I have a heart murmur, severe anemia, and a blood clotting disorder so every time I have an operation I have to have a blood transfer, at least 1. I have kidney problems that are watched every 2 months, thanks to one of the meds I take. I have severe seasonal allergies and cluster migraines that can stay for up to 15 days at a time. I have had basically every removable part removed from my abdomen except for a kidney and one lung, everythign else that can be taken due to disease or injury has been taken. So between all of the physical illnesses and the BPII, BPD, PTSD OCD.....it all gets to be to much, muth of the time.

So, for some of us Life Sucks I don't know why, it seems like it could be spread out a bit, I know I sure wouldn't mind

I'd love to just wake up healthy one day and then maybe the mental stuff would be easier but I just don't see that hapenning...

kat

Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
    BipolarPrincess
    Veteran
    (female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
    (((BipolarPrincess)))

Thanks!

Please don't feel selfish because we all have our struggles to deal with in life. I'm just thankful that a majority of mine occurred when I was too young to realize what was happening to me.

As far as my blindness is concerned, there are times where I wish I could drive (particularly in the winter), but you can't miss what you never had. Sometimes I wish I could see a sunset, a surise, the deep blue sky on a bright sunny day, a rainbow, the faces of my family and friends as well as my guide dog Tigger, but if truth be told, I'm perfectly content being blind because it's all I've ever known.

I lost my hearing in 1995 and as a result, lost the ability to enjoy music for the next 10 years. When that happened, I felt as if a part of me had died because music has been a part of my life since I was 5 years old.

Whenever I feel like giving up because of my bipolar, I think of 2 things: I remember the fact that I survived my premature birth when my chances of survival were thought to be "quite poor" (according to my neonatal records) and I remind myself that if I managed to live without music for 10 years, I can survive bipolar.

My favorite motto is "I may have bipolar, but bipolar does not have me."

Now...if only I could remember that on my difficult days!
    hehe. ((((hugs)))) I guess my motto is "I may have borderline personality disorder and severe depression and anxiety and some ocd and maybe bipolar, but all that crap doesn't have me" hahaha. Wow, I hate not knowing what I am.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BipolarPrincess View Post
    hehe. ((((hugs)))) I guess my motto is "I may have borderline personality disorder and severe depression and anxiety and some ocd and maybe bipolar, but all that crap doesn't have me" hahaha. Wow, I hate not knowing what I am.
    You go girl! (I know that's probably a cheesy saying, but I couldn't think of anything else to say. LOL.)

Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kat,

Look at each new day as a day of opportunity. My mother passed away from pancreatic cancer. Imagine what it's like to wake up every day knowing you have a terminal illness and have anywhere from 1-5 months to live. Sometimes you need to put things into perspective.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread