It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Jury Duty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
    Bunnylover
    (female)

Bunnylover HB User
    Jury Duty

I just got summoned for jury duty, and I'm going nuts panicking over it--I finally took an Ativan to calm down somewhat.

Part of the problem is that having to serve for more than the first day could have serious professional and financial reprecussions for me, and so that's making me crazy worried.

Also, I am extremely conflict averse--even being around other people conflicting makes me extremely nervous due to childhood crap. Add to that my own worry's about my career, and the fact that they won't let me bring my cross-stitch (which calms me down considerably) and the only way I'll be able to handle it at all would be to take Ativan (which my pdoc prescribes for situations like this.)

I talked to my pdoc, he's supposed to call me back tomorrow AM. I'm planning on asking for a letter explaining that the only way I can serve on a jury is while taking Ativan--seems like that might not be an ideal juror. But I don't want him disclosing my diagnosis--outside of doctors and family, only 2 people in my life know.

Anyway, has anyone been able to get excused under circumstances like this? I'll also have a letter from my dean requesting an excusal due to the problems it will cause for my university.

Any suggestions for calming down--it will likely be a week or two before I hear back, and I can't just keep taking Ativan in the meanwhile.

Thanks if you listened.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
    SoWendy
    Inactive
    (female)

SoWendy HB User
    Re: Jury Duty

Hey Bunnylover

Strange you posted this, I was thinking about Jury Duty the other day. I'm in Australia, so our systems might be different, but probably not too different. I am on a Disability Pension due to my mental illnesses and I am certain that here, if I had a letter from my psychiatrist, even in general terms, not necessarily stating your illnesses outright, stating that I would have illnesses compromised by Jury Duty, I would be immediately let off. Your psychiatrist has probably dealt with this before and knows the exact wording to get the job done.

I understand your issues around conflict - for me it is male aggression in particular, as related to childhood issues and I would be worried myself if I were thrust into that environment, but I do have a sense that this is going to be OK and "working the system" will work out for you. Let us know how things go.

Wendy

Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bunnylover View Post
    I just got summoned for jury duty, and I'm going nuts panicking over it--I finally took an Ativan to calm down somewhat.

Part of the problem is that having to serve for more than the first day could have serious professional and financial reprecussions for me, and so that's making me crazy worried.

Also, I am extremely conflict averse--even being around other people conflicting makes me extremely nervous due to childhood crap. Add to that my own worry's about my career, and the fact that they won't let me bring my cross-stitch (which calms me down considerably) and the only way I'll be able to handle it at all would be to take Ativan (which my pdoc prescribes for situations like this.)

I talked to my pdoc, he's supposed to call me back tomorrow AM. I'm planning on asking for a letter explaining that the only way I can serve on a jury is while taking Ativan--seems like that might not be an ideal juror. But I don't want him disclosing my diagnosis--outside of doctors and family, only 2 people in my life know.

Anyway, has anyone been able to get excused under circumstances like this? I'll also have a letter from my dean requesting an excusal due to the problems it will cause for my university.

Any suggestions for calming down--it will likely be a week or two before I hear back, and I can't just keep taking Ativan in the meanwhile.

Thanks if you listened.
    I was able to get out of jury duty (twice, once when I was in college and once 2 yrs ago) because of Psych issues, a letter was written by my pdoc...they could care less about your other obligations, like college, so I would stick to the illness aspect of problem. They DO NOT have to go into specifics in the letter. They will legally have to comply since it's due to a medical reason...they wouldn't excuse you due to school or financial hardship. Good luck, it will turn out in your favor!

PS: My dad had to do jury duty, he's a physician...and he wasn't immune (no pun intended) and was there I think 2 weeks for a trial....He's the ONLY doc in his practice so that was VERY hard on him and I am sure on his patients. I thought, how absurd! I think certain professions should be excluded from the duty....

Last edited by tattoogirl; 10-08-2009 at 01:22 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
    Dragonomine
    (female)

Dragonomine HB User

Several months ago I got the letter that said I was selected for jury duty. They make you fill out some forms and send them in before you go. Well... let me tell you... I let them have it.

I told them I was bi-polar, I rarely leave the house and I go off on people that tick me off for some reason or another. That they should have known that since I'm on disability and they're part of the government. That my tax dollars weren't doing a da*n thing if they can't even bring up my name in the computer and see if I'm even elligible.

I also told them I'd get my Dr to give me an excuse if necessary but it was a pain in the butt and they were basically horrible at their job for not knowing all this in the first place.

Less than a week later I get another letter. I have been PERMANENTLY excused from jury duty.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
    Bunnylover
    (female)

Bunnylover HB User

I talked to my pdoc today. He and I agreed that given the potential consequences of having my condition, or any psych. condition in the legal record, he won't right the first letter.

My Dean wrote a letter stating irrevocable harm to the university if I am made to serve (for accredidation purposes we can't cancel multiple classes, and at the university level getting a sub for more than a day is impossible. I also explained about my dissertation, and added that I am an expert in the constitutional/early republic field (true, although I don't work on politics)--American lawyers don't tend to like well educated people, and certainly not one that might know something about the law.

If I don't get excused, then I'll get a letter for the day I have to go telling them I have to take a prescription sedative (or is ativan a tranquiizer) to be there, and would have to take it throughout a trial.

I hate that I still go absolutely beserk about this kind of thing--my anxiety is better, but sometimes my mind still goes absolutely out of control.

Eta: In some states, teachers can almost always get an postponement, but there's really only one month I could serve in the summer, because I'll be traveling in June for work the entire month, and (hopefully) I'll be moving in late July/early August to whereever I get a job (there are no openings right now close to where I live.)

If you read this, thanks--I know I'm long winded but I love the supportiveness of this place.

Last edited by Bunnylover; 10-08-2009 at 06:35 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
    CarenR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CarenR HB User

I was called to Jury Duty. and I wrote to them a letter that I have Bipolar 1.... they wrote back that I couldnt get out of duty because I have Bipolar. I just didnt go but they say they will fine me for not serving on jury duty that was a year ago and I didnt get a fine...

hugs, Caren
    Bipolar 1.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
    mowgli
    (female)

mowgli HB User

It makes a huge difference when someone "official" says the same thing that you or I could...I've tried it with heaps of stuff, I guess it's coz joe blow could just up ans try to say anything, but a professional is putting his/her reputation on the line.
    Poor you bunny- my head is dizzy, my thighs are weak and my chest is tight in empathy with you. That is my biggest fear- that and the tax man....

goodluck.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
    kristent
    (female)

kristent HB User

wow irony i just got a summons for jury duty two days ago so i know how you feel im really worried about for some reason its stressing me out and making me lose sleep....so good luck! i hope it isnt too bad for you

Closed Thread