It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Medicaid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User
    Medicaid

Hey everyone I was wondering about getting on medicaid and if the bipolar diagnosis helps. My son definately would qualify as far as income but he goes to our local mental health clinic for BP so would it be a good idea to use that to help him qualify? I would assume they would need note from the clinic. He really needs help with getting these meds.

Thanks friends

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
    esolc
    (male)

esolc HB User
    Re: Medicaid

I had Physciatrist Evalauations (3), Been out of work 10 Months, institutional records. Severity of the Condition. Another words would harm myself or others. Had I Tried, to take care of my self on day to day basis without help. Had I had reabilitarity therapy. Then you have a 6 month wait if you file, the first form a money needs form comes back first usualy denied if, you have assets because you may only own a car and house plus be wage eligible. Would depend on sons assets and if old enough would you be willing to emancepate him. Also I had to take a day long conitive test' if approved you go social security and in the twenty fith month of that you qualify for medicade. It was Hard on Me, so wish you have all the luck in the world.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

If you qualify financially you can get emergency assistance called SAGA in my area...there is NO waiting period. Then during the process you have this assistance until you are "permanently" qualified (recertification yearly/usually). You usually aren't denied, if you were, it is do to assets. They look at savings/checking/any investments etc...You basically can not have, at ANY time, assests/money that exceed $1200 a month, approximately...it's very different from SSI/SSDI. An evaluation is not done, since it isn't based on the child's condition. Regardless of your medical condition a child can qualify...the process the above poster is speaking of is different than going for Medicaid and only occurs when attempting to get disability and other such federal benefits which you are often denied initially for (Medicaid is a state to state program). We have a program called HUSKY, specifically for children. It is not necessary at all to divuldge your child condition (might help though). Call your local social service, or better yet, go right in and you can usually get immediate help. Again, SSI/SSDI has nothing to do with Medicaid and the process is completely different...there is no testing, no medical records necessary and the such etc...(my son is on HUSKY and I'm very familiar w/the process of these programs). Also, you may qualify for food stamps which is part of the SAGA package...you will be asked when you fill out application. Hope this helps!

Last edited by tattoogirl; 12-29-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

tattoogirl I should have been more specific with my post it would have saved you some typing. My son is 22 but living with us. He works part time which equals to be about $70 a week. He is single but has an 8 mth old daughter. She lives with his girlfriend who also lives with her Mom. So what they can't cover with milk and diapers we take care of. The baby is on medicaid though. When he filled out financial assistance at the clinic he told them he lives with us so they said we had to put our income on the form. Big mistake! It doesn't matter that we have trouble paying our bills or that he is an adult. Who ever come up with that crap needs to be knocked around a little. So with having only a part time job and not being able to find anything else, having BP and possibly having a child maybe he will qualify?? Otherwise I think he needs to fill out fin. form again and say he lives here part time but is now paying us rent. We can't afford to pay for these expensive meds and if he doesn't get the right one he is going to lose this job TOO. He is taking lithium but it is not helping. He is sad, unmotivated,tired, and aggitated. I really appreciate yall taking the time to talk to me. I always read what yall post to him I wish he would get on this site and talk with yall himself.I have depression so I know how he feels but I can't make him do something that I think he should do he is an adult now. Thanks again

Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

Well I know in some places they look at a parents income up to age 25 (my experience trying to get health assistance while at college). My friend who is 31 receives medicaid and food stamps (SAGA), works very little and lives with his sister. Have you called your local social service office and ask what your options are (annonomously)? Perhaps you can tell them that he is paying rent and groceries , (ex 1/2 his weekly pay check is going for such expenses). He is a "TENANT" not "JUST LIVING WITH YOU" I then believe he would be not only able to get Medicaid, but food stamps (EBT) and possibly a small stypin since your income will not come into play at all. Just a thought about how to "present" it to the ss department. Not sure if this helps at all but thought I'd try.

Last edited by tattoogirl; 12-29-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Closed Thread