It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Need advice on anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
    Krenzelect
    (female)

Krenzelect HB User
    Need advice on anxiety

I am bipolar l and lately been suffering from bad bouts of anxiety. I haven't had anything that I'm worried about or no life changes to bring this on. Anyone else experience this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
    Mike5473
    (male)

Mike5473 HB User
    Re: Need advice on anxiety

what medication do you take? Im bipolar II and im experiencing the same thing lately. I currently take 240mg of Geodon and its a side effect of this medication. wondering if your meds are suspect.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
    SoWendy
    Inactive
    (female)

SoWendy HB User

I am Bipolar II with panic and anxiety disorders and also a nearly 11 years sober alcoholic in AA. I believe that panic and/or anxiety typically come along with Bipolar, and they also come along typically with Major Depression. It's worth chatting to your doc about it. There are meds which help for both the Bipolar and the panic and anxiety. For me however, I have to have the Bipolar meds (Lithium, Lamictal and Seroquel), but I have to treat my panic and anxiety with Valium. As I am a sober alcoholic I use Valium sparingly so I don't become addicted, and that has been working well for me for a long time. Excercise helps a lot too, having someone to talk to etc.

I also do extensive psychotherapy to help with the Bipolar related depression, but also the panic and anxiety. One of the therapy modes I use is ACT and Mindfulness which really does help me with anxiety. But it doesn't work if I'm in a full-blown panic attack - I just have to survive that until it passes.

You mentioned you haven't had a specific life issue come up to trigger this. Maybe though it has been there all the time - sometimes when we are really sick it hard to tell one illness from another as they intermingle with each other. And like is happening to you now, they start to be come clearer as we get successful treatment for one of them. Again, I would chat to your doc. He/she may give you a questionaire or may ask you a heap of questions to see whether you do have a diagnosable anxiety disorder. Good luck and keep posting.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
    Krenzelect
    (female)

Krenzelect HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike5473 View Post
    what medication do you take? Im bipolar II and im experiencing the same thing lately. I currently take 240mg of Geodon and its a side effect of this medication. wondering if your meds are suspect.
    I'm taking 6mg/50 symbyax. I also take adderall . I skipped a dose of the adderall to see if that was the cause but it still was there.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
    Krenzelect
    (female)

Krenzelect HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wendy489 View Post
    I am Bipolar II with panic and anxiety disorders and also a nearly 11 years sober alcoholic in AA. I believe that panic and/or anxiety typically come along with Bipolar, and they also come along typically with Major Depression. It's worth chatting to your doc about it. There are meds which help for both the Bipolar and the panic and anxiety. For me however, I have to have the Bipolar meds (Lithium, Lamictal and Seroquel), but I have to treat my panic and anxiety with Valium. As I am a sober alcoholic I use Valium sparingly so I don't become addicted, and that has been working well for me for a long time. Excercise helps a lot too, having someone to talk to etc.

I also do extensive psychotherapy to help with the Bipolar related depression, but also the panic and anxiety. One of the therapy modes I use is ACT and Mindfulness which really does help me with anxiety. But it doesn't work if I'm in a full-blown panic attack - I just have to survive that until it passes.

You mentioned you haven't had a specific life issue come up to trigger this. Maybe though it has been there all the time - sometimes when we are really sick it hard to tell one illness from another as they intermingle with each other. And like is happening to you now, they start to be come clearer as we get successful treatment for one of them. Again, I would chat to your doc. He/she may give you a questionaire or may ask you a heap of questions to see whether you do have a diagnosable anxiety disorder. Good luck and keep posting.
    How does Lamictal work for you? The doctor just changed Symbyax to Lamictal. I had a hard time losing weight since I started Symbyax. I work out 6 days a week and still wasn't losing anything. I do take zanax as needed for the anxiety but I hate to take it because I don't want to become addicted to it. I had a Dr's appointment today and told him about the anxiety. All he said was it didn't surprise him. I was seeing a therapist but had to quit because of money. Hopefully the Lamictal won't make me as hungry. Symbyax was horrible with being hungry all the time.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
    SoWendy
    Inactive
    (female)

SoWendy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krenzelect View Post
    How does Lamictal work for you? The doctor just changed Symbyax to Lamictal. I had a hard time losing weight since I started Symbyax. I work out 6 days a week and still wasn't losing anything. I do take zanax as needed for the anxiety but I hate to take it because I don't want to become addicted to it. I had a Dr's appointment today and told him about the anxiety. All he said was it didn't surprise him. I was seeing a therapist but had to quit because of money. Hopefully the Lamictal won't make me as hungry. Symbyax was horrible with being hungry all the time.
    Krenzelect, Lamictal is an anti-epilepsy drug that has secondary benefits for Bipolar patients - with particular emphasis on the depression side of Bipolar, whereas Lithium mainly helps with the Hypomania/Mania side. In the latter part of last year I was in continued Bipolar-related Major Suicical Depression, again and again and again. Two years ago I tried to take my life and nearly succeeded - 5 day coma, many interventions to save my life etc, so this is really serious business for me. My psychiatrist decided to try Lamictal on me. He's really scrupulous about meds and side effects so it was taking months to get me into the therapeutic range for Lamictal, so I had a stay in the psych ward in November to get me progressively into the therapeutic range, which I now am, and I am defintely feeling the benefits. I am progressively more functional every day, I feel more hope (that's slow in coming) and I think about suicide much less.

There are no weight impications for Lamictal. Lithium has unfortunately stuffed my thyroid and seroquel makes me hungry 24/7, so from when I stared on psych meds 8 years ago when I was60kg, I topped out at double that and it has so hard to do anything about it.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
    cinbad
    (female)

cinbad HB User

Finally someone else who is experiencing the dreadful feeling of anxiety and panic attacks...I thought I was losing my mind these past few weeks. I stop taking antidepressants in the summer due to the manic episodes I experience and then start them up again in the winter...currently I am on 60mg of Cymbalta, 600mg of Triliptal and 5mg of Valium three times a day or more if needed. I just started Cymbalta about a month ago and it is supposed to be the great "anxiety" med...the anxiety has not subsided..I don't sleep, when I do sleep I wake up feeling so overwhelmed I can't function, I am constantly on edge and isolating myself more and more. My doc is now recommending ECT, which I am considering, as taking antidepressants along with valium, which brings you down seems to defeat the purpose...it seems like a very vicious circle that I am so tired of. I used to be able to ride out the anxiety and think it will all be ok just go with it as it will pass and it worked, now I just want to hide under the covers and stay there...

Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
    Bethann01
    (female)

Bethann01 HB User

Yes, and honestly it's making my life as miserable now as major depressive episodes. It's very common with bipolar. I haven't really found any affective way to handle it yet, clomicalm is definitly not working, I think making me worse. The seroquel helped for a while, but isn't now. Right now I'm dealing with a specific serious life trigger, but I tend to be incredibly anxious most of the time even when there's nothing going on that would upset a "normal" person.

About lamictal, it's neither supposed to cause weight gain or loss. In my case, however, when I went off SSRI's after years on them, while staying on lamictal, I lost a great deal of weight. It has been a godsend for controlling depression.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
    Krenzelect
    (female)

Krenzelect HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinbad View Post
    Finally someone else who is experiencing the dreadful feeling of anxiety and panic attacks...I thought I was losing my mind these past few weeks. I stop taking antidepressants in the summer due to the manic episodes I experience and then start them up again in the winter...currently I am on 60mg of Cymbalta, 600mg of Triliptal and 5mg of Valium three times a day or more if needed. I just started Cymbalta about a month ago and it is supposed to be the great "anxiety" med...the anxiety has not subsided..I don't sleep, when I do sleep I wake up feeling so overwhelmed I can't function, I am constantly on edge and isolating myself more and more. My doc is now recommending ECT, which I am considering, as taking antidepressants along with valium, which brings you down seems to defeat the purpose...it seems like a very vicious circle that I am so tired of. I used to be able to ride out the anxiety and think it will all be ok just go with it as it will pass and it worked, now I just want to hide under the covers and stay there...
    I too am trying to ride the anxiety out. I have some days when it isn't to bad and some days are really bad. Hopefully my new meds will work.I try not to take any zanax unless I really need it.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
    Bethann01
    (female)

Bethann01 HB User

Anyone else get so overwhelmed by anxiety they just crawl back in bed (literally). I try not to let myself do it, but I gave in Monday. Which of course makes things worse, because I'm anxious about not getting enough work done.

Closed Thread