It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

Medication Decisions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
hbee09
(female)

hbee09 HB User
Question Medication Decisions

I realize that ultimately this is a decision I have to make for myself, but I would appreciate the opinions of other people dealing with the same situation.

I am diagnosed with Bi Polar Disorder II, and have been on medicine before, namely Depakote, although I tried Lithium also. It made it really hard for me to concentrate and I gained weight and had many other bad side affects. Lithium took away my appetite totally, and I lost almost 15 pounds on it. It also made my hair fall out in patches.

So after feeling like a guinea pig I stopped taking medication, and did well for a while. However now I have been in a depression for almost 2 months, and can't control any emotions ever, no matter how hard I try. I realize I have an illness, an imbalance, and can't just ignore it and fix it, but I dislike the idea of a pill that messes with my mind. Unfortunately I can't take the mood swings and depression and all that anymore.

So... medicine or not? I'm having trouble deciding... so if you could all give your own experienced opinions.. maybe what you decided for yourself?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
lelydy
(female)

lelydy HB User
Re: Medication Decisions

I too was diagnosed with Bipolar/manic&depression with panci and anxiety. I've been a test rat for the last 4 years. Then Efexor for 3 years and 40 pounds later I'm off it. Hard going off that and hard to undo the weight. Now on Lamictal and gosh another lexapro. So far so good, other than can't get xanax now for panic and anxiety. Psyc drs so hard to come by here. Hope your on the right meds, they take a while to get used to or they just dont work. keep book and take in with your visits on how your doing on new meds.
Good luck

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-29-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use QUICK Reply rather than QUOTE Reply

Closed Thread