It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Friendships and Low Tolerance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
    ksong74
    (female)

ksong74 HB User
    Question Friendships and Low Tolerance

Bipolar 1, since early childhood, diagnosed at 17 yrs in 1991. Currently on Lithium 900mg/day, Seroquel 200mg/day, and just began Welbutrin 5 days ago at 150mg/day.

Many circumstances have led me to this moment. This past year I have maintained one friend who I was completely discontent with, while trying to make new friends. In 1 year I made 1 new friend who can relate to me and we're both very empathetic. Another old friend I became friendly with turned out to be a selfish and narcissistic, so I finally dumped her a week ago. Who needs that?

So now there is the new friend, who I've been discontent with. She's been around since 2007. I only tolerated her because I had no one else. Isn't that pathetic? Yes, I've been shy and introverted my whole life and didn't try to change until a year ago. I had an online argument with her.

I had my usual complaints. Crystal is immature, obnoxious at times, selfish, negative, and never would compromise on activities. Sounds like someone I never should have befriended in the first place, right? But I did. I was lonely in 200whatever year it was and now we have history.

It's been a long time since my bipolar disorder had me acting so impulsively, without the ability to tolerate anything, and where I began dumping friends.

Is this a blessing and maybe a way of helping me out of friendships that are bad for me and possibly making me more open to new friends, or am I just a messed up woman who's bipolar is ruining her life?

Please help.
    - Jackie

Last edited by Administrator; 01-05-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
    Karonie
    (female)

Karonie HB User
    Re: Friendships and Low Tolerance

I too have difficulty making and keeping friends. I have one friend that's been around for 30 years just because she refuses to give up on me. I'm grateful. Not to sound preachy...but try not to let your disorder become who you are. You are a unique individual (we all are in our own way) and can have friends in spite of your illness. The key is to surround yourself with people who believe that mental illness is real and will support you when necessary. Don't give up. We deserve to have 'normal' lives, too.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-05-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bipolar, friendship, lithium, lonely depressed suicide help unhappy