It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Menorrhagia, Hashimoto's and Birth Control

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
ThyroidRose
(female)

ThyroidRose HB User
Menorrhagia, Hashimoto's and Birth Control

All,

Has anyone here treated their menorrhagia successfully in the presence of uncontrolled Hashimoto's (high TSH)? Either with birth control or other methods?

I have two week long periods that one doctor believes are caused by my Hashimoto's (high TSH and TPO antibodies, but normal everything else). My gyno however believes the heavy periods are caused by an excessive uterine lining that builds up. So far I haven't been able to tolerate thyroid medication (it causes insomnia in me) so my Hashimoto's is currently uncontrolled.

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone has left their thyroid problem untreated yet had success controlling their periods with other methods (birth control, ablation, etc)?

Thank you!
Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
ThyroidRose
(female)

ThyroidRose HB User
Re: Menorrhagia, Hashimoto's and Birth Control

Just posting an update as I'm doing better, still not 100%, but to give others hope. The iron deficiency was definitely half of my problem, and I am still working on the Hashimoto's issue, which hopefully is my final problem.

I am a pescatarian (eating fish only) who was diagnosed with iron deficiency last October. My ferritin was a 6. I felt dreadful. I can now report that I feel at least 50% better, and the remaining 50% of issues I attribute to Hashimoto's which I am now working to resolve using levothyroxine.

I had a D&C with a Mirena fitted in February of this year. I had continual spotting for two months so my gyno put me on Lo Lo Estrin for 2 months and since I have been off of the pills, my period is nowhere to be found. I am hoping it stays this way!

For supplements I used ferrous fumerate 106 elemental mgs, one tablet twice a day. I also ate clams as much as I could as they are very high in iron. My ferritin has gradually risen, and since April I have not taken a single iron supplement. My latest lab result on the ferritin is 77!

I think it's safe to say I am out of the woods of iron deficiency, with one last problem to work on. Just wanted to give hope to others that while it can seem like a long road, you can get there, even if you do not eat meat.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
ThyroidRose
(female)

ThyroidRose HB User
Re: Menorrhagia, Hashimoto's and Birth Control

I'm back to post another update in case anyone else goes through what I went through and needs encouragement.

My ferritin is over 80 at this point and I have stopped the supplements.

I have also started Tirosint and have worked up to 37.5 mcgs for the thyroid issue (Hashimoto's hypothyroidism). Most of the dizziness and lightheadedness is gone!!!

The Mirena is working to control my monthly cycle and I have not had a cycle in 2 months.

Finally, I found that if I do not eat lean protein at around 10 am and again at 3 pm (for instance a chicken breast or some turkey meat) I get the same weird lightheadedness. So I'm left to wonder if I have hypoglycemia (but I do not have diabetes so this would be weird). However overall I am doing great and expect to get even better as the days progress.

Reply Reply