It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Mirena Birth Control??

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
dogmom015
(female)

dogmom015 HB User
Question Mirena Birth Control??

I'm 27yrs old and suffer from Migraines that are pretty well controlled with Topomax. I do have a few break through right at the beginning of my period.
So my Dr doesn't want to do pills and I would never remember to take them.

So I needed something for cramps/bleeding and protection.
I take up to 20 *200mg* Ibuprofen a day just for cramps and they can so bad they wake me up in the middle of the night and make me sick to my stomach.

So my Dr recommended Mirena or Nexplanon. I chose Mirena which she has to order but I have only found very few good things people had to say about it. Everybody seems to hate it!
The nexplanon scares me because its implanted and not easy to remove per say. My Dr said she personality uses Mirena and loves it.

Is there anybody out that has/have Mirena and like it?

I need something and I'm hoping it works for my body. I have been doing extensive research and it seems that if you are aware of your body and the strings you would know if the IUD moved or shifted.

I'm so confused but I need to try and find something as all the ibuprofen is not good for me =( and I don't want/need any human surprises anytime soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Mirena Birth Control??

You'll find a lot of negative posts on a lot of topics online because people don't tend to post when they're happy with a product or service cause they're out living their lives. So the criticisms will be overly biased to the negative. Keep that in mind and take the negatives with a grain of salt.

I've been using mirena since 2011 to help with heavy periods and it has been the only thing that worked for me. I plan on using it until it expires and getting a new one every 5 years. I haven't had any problems worth getting it removed so I am fine with using it. Sometimes I get some twitchy pains like cramps at odd times but it's not a big deal. I plan on using it until I'm sure I'm in menopause.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
dogmom015
(female)

dogmom015 HB User

Thank you!
I keep telling myself someone who had a bad experience will talk a lot more than someone who had a good experience.

I know I have to find something that works for me, but the few people I've tried to talk about it tell me I'm crazy and not to do it, its not natural, ect ect.

Your words of happiness with it mean a lot!

I just got the letter with the approval and appointment date, which I'm going to have to change because at my initial appointment with her she said she wants me to be on my period for insertion and the appointment they scheduled is not in that time frame.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Give it a try and see what you think. You can always get it removed, it's really not a big deal. After I finally decided to get it, I was kicking myself for not getting it sooner because I could've saved myself a lot of grief.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:15 AM   #5
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

My 40 year old partner is having a Mirena IUD installed on Wednesday. Her heavy periods were far apart until the last few months where it is every few days. She even required a blood transfusion a week ago due to the low iron levels.

I have come across so many bad reviews that I was pushing for her to speak to her gynecologist to change to a NovaSure instead.

But after doing lots more research & using common sense I realised most people only complain when something fails. I've read some very positive reviews on Mirena as well so I'm hoping this goes well.

I've given my partner a list of questions to ask the gynecologist after the insertion so will carefully monitor any symptoms she has. We have been advised of this fails she will be able to have a NovoSure

Reply Reply