It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Copper IUD - Please ladies, I need your help!!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
littlewingza
(female)

littlewingza HB User
Unhappy Copper IUD - Please ladies, I need your help!!

Hi there!

If there are any ladies out there who are willing to share their IUD insight or experiences, I'd be forever grateful!

Being just 21 and in my first long-term relationship, I'm not ready to join the Mum Ranks just yet... and after battling with birth control pills for years, I finally opted for the Copper IUD (Nova-T 380, 10 year model, which is standard government edition here in South Africa).

It all started out okay, but has SERIOUSLY gone downhill from there. I've now had the IUD for about three and a half months, and I'm really battling! I've had:

* Constant nausea for no good reason... at any and every time of the day!
* Terrible breakouts, especially on my lower back
* Anxiety attacks
* Constant spotting throughout the months, but only one actual period so far, which was quite heavy and painful
* One uterine infection, which I've since treated with antibiotics, and candidiasis (yeast infections) too
* Constant cramping, general pain down there, and a tummy that's tender to the touch
* Extra hair growth - especially my moustache and on my chin
* Headaches
* And scary discharge that is often quite dark in colour, like old blood, but other times simply off-colour which I imagine is from the copper (sorry about the TMI!)

I am currently over a month late for my period (so far, it's a 55 day cycle!). I've taken two home pregnancy tests, both of which are very clear negatives. I'm at my wits end with the pain and spotting - but my doctor insists that my missing periods and other symptoms have nothing to do with the IUD, even although I had perfectly regular 31-day cycles and no anxiety, cramps or breakouts before it was inserted. She even suggested PCOS, which can't possibly have suddenly popped up in the past three months... could it have?? :\

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Copper IUD and could maybe provide some guidance? I'm so lost - and I simply can't take the pill because I react so badly to hormones, so this was sort of Custer's Last Stand for me!

Much love, and thanks in advance! <3
J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, copper iud, cramps, paragard, spotting