It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Experiences with long term bc

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
    lysa257
    (female)

lysa257 HB User
    Experiences with long term bc

I go to the gyno every year, and I will ask them when I go in August, but I would like opinions from others.

I have been on various forms of hormonal birth control for 15 years (I am 33). Pills (tri-cyclen or low dose), and for the last 4 years, Skyla IUD.

I don't ever want children, but I'm not comfortable with ligation or essure-type devices. I do get concerned with the length of time I have been/will be on bc, as well as when do I stop in the hopes of menopause.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-26-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Experiences with long term bc

An IUD represents a foreign object in the body and can therefore cause inflammation; and inflammation can cause cancer. But it's likely that you already know about this risk.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I was on various bcp for25-30 years. When I started skipping periods on the pill around age 57, we went to HRT. Have been on that for 16 years(I'm 73). Never had another period after swtching to HRT and am doing great!

Old 04-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
    lysa257
    (female)

lysa257 HB User

Thank you. My periods have been sporadic or non-existent for many years now. I guess I'm just trying to prepare myself and weigh my options. I don't want to stop too early and have something happen, but I don't want to be on it longer than I have to.

I guess what spawned this post is that I see a lot of women who have had hystos or are post-menopausal around 40 and I keep hoping! (for the latter)

But then there's all these breast cx risks with being on hormonal bc, having no children, etc. but I it is what it is.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I was on various birth control pills and then the IUD for 27 years. I eventually got off of them in my late 30s because I had a breast cancer scare. I wound up also have endometriosis- and had an ablation (NovaSure) done at that time- which worked VERY well to mitigate heavy bleeding..I never bled again.

Since I was going in for the ablation, I had them tie my tubes at the same time. End of my birth control worries. I started with hot flashes and normal meno symptoms at about age 49...blood work confirmed that I was in menopause since I couldnt go by the date of my last period.

Hope this helps.

Reply Reply