It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• IUD for 6 months - still spotting - OBGYN gives 2 week tablets

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
    HouseBuilder328
    Inactive
    (male)

HouseBuilder328 HB User
    IUD for 6 months - still spotting - OBGYN gives 2 week tablets

Hi all - have been on Mirena IUD for 6 months, and still spotting for over half the month. OBGYN gives me a 2 week supply of Estradiol 1mg tablet to take for 2 weeks. OBGYN doc says it will "reset" everything and stop the bleeding.

But the thing is - we are going on a large trip to visit family at the end of June and have no idea how to "time" this. Should I just take this 2 week Estradiol course now or does anyone have any suggestions on how to time this 2 week course prior to June 22? Maybe take this 2 weeks course DURING the vacation since it will stop breakthrough bleeding?

It's so hard to get a hold of anyone at my OBGYN and I can't switch right now due to insurance issues. Another suggestion I found is that Naproxen (an NSAID) 500mg daily before a trip will reduce/stop bleeding from a new IUD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: IUD for 6 months - still spotting - OBGYN gives 2 week tablets

Naproxen is an anti inflamatory, I cannot see how it would stop the bleeding...and even though you state it is "hard" to reach anyone at your gyn office, I would call, ask to be connected to the nurse line- or push the option for the nurses...and ask them to call you back. This is a question for a doctor and your office has to return calls; they cant ignore their patients. Get ahold of a nurse and she will relay the message to your doctor and call you back!

Old 05-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: IUD for 6 months - still spotting - OBGYN gives 2 week tablets

Naproxen was originally on the market as Annaprox and was prescribed for menstrual cramps...and it was so excellent for that! My sister and I went to CVS the day it came out OTC!!!Too bad I developed an allergy to it!!!

Reply Reply