It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Can some people just not handle BC pills??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
    physhstick

physhstick HB User
    Unhappy Can some people just not handle BC pills??

Ugh....

Long story short: I am 24 and have been on birth control pills for over a year. I have tried Nordette, Otho Tri-Cyclen, Desogen, and something else that I can't remember...and have had problems with ALL of them. They have all made me completely miserable...SO anxious and moody and depressed.

Several months ago I switched to Ortho 7-7-7. It seemed to work well...at least I didn't notice the usual emotional problems! My boyfriend and I decided to take a "break" at about the same time that I was supposed to start my next pack (about 5 weeks ago). I stopped taking the pills because I figured I wouldn't need them. Well, fortunately, the break was a LOT shorter (like two days ) than I had thought it would be. I decided to just wait out the month and then start taking them again. So a week ago when my cycle restarted I started back up on the Ortho 7-7-7 but YIKES! NO good!! The past week I have been very anxious and moody again! I don't remember having these problems when I was taking them before. Maybe my body just needs to readjust? Could this be the effect of stopping and starting them again? Or should I try yet ANOTHER pill?? Do some people just not handle ANY pills well??

I know it sometimes takes a while for your body to adjust to them, so I tempted to stick with the Ortho 7-7-7 for a few more months (especially since I don't remember having problems with them before!) ... problem is I've become a pretty difficult person to live with right now and I'm afraid this craziness is gonna do in the relationship (poor boyfriend has had to deal with WAY too many of my hormone-induced mood swings over the past year and a half and his patience seems to be wearing thin...)

Sorry this is so long! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
    jaamoo

jaamoo HB User
    Re: Can some people just not handle BC pills??

Hi!
    I have not been able to take any birth control pills- either! I had bad reactions in one form or another for about 2 years after my first baby. Even my gyn could not figure it out. It wasn't worth the moods or aggrivation not to mention a bazillion trips to see my dr. so, I gave up and we have been using condoms ever since.

Since everyone is different, it could be a possibility that they won't work for you. I would try discussing it with your dr... there are other options out there that can be explored.
    Good Luck!
    2 Daughters

Old 01-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
    Mommyof4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I couldnt take them either. They sent me into a hormone hell that just wasnt worth it. I stayed in a bad mood while on them. Hope you find something that works

Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
    Chaos247

Chaos247 HB User

I have a friend that could not handle any type of bc. All types of Pills, Depo shots, the new patch! She finally had her tubes tied out of desperation! (she has two children). So you are right, there are alot of people that just cannot handle it.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 PM   #5
    Babs66

Babs66 HB User

I was on the pill a couple years ago and it gave me severe headaches and I was throwing up in the morning....just like morning sickness. I thought I was pregnant!

The doctor took me off them immediately. I have since had a baby...LOL

In my opinion, the pill is full of so much junk. Side effects can be awful. Then again, some women are just fine with it.

I recently got an IUD and so far its been great.

Good luck,
    Babs

Old 01-11-2004, 12:13 AM   #6
    skycloud

skycloud HB User
    Exclamation Re: Can some people just not handle BC pills??

I have never been able to take birth control pills. I took them when I was in my late teens for about a year maybe, and I gained weight and was probably the most depressed in my life ever. I tried about 4 to 5 different types, I'm sure the earlier ones had more estrogen, but I took it all the way down to the lowest dose estrogen and it still had an impact.

I can be kind of moody to start with, but am very aware of my mental states and finally correlated that no matter what BCP I tried, the end result was depression. The last time I tried was about 4 years ago, in an attempt to help the horrible periods I was having (due to a fibroid) and found myself crying at work for no good reason at all. And that was by the 4th day or so. That's it, I tossed them - decided never to try again. It's too hard on my mental health and physical body. Much easier to deal with a condom. Condoms are great. They don't affect my mental health or make me gain weight. My husband, in agreed with my assesment of the pill and is happy to wear a condom.

I have thought about the progesterone ones, since I think I might have an estrogen imbalance to start with, but haven't been brave enough to go for it. They do say that the POP's don't have as many incidents of side effects.
    skycloud

Quote:
    Originally Posted by physhstick
    Ugh....

Long story short: I am 24 and have been on birth control pills for over a year. I have tried Nordette, Otho Tri-Cyclen, Desogen, and something else that I can't remember...and have had problems with ALL of them. They have all made me completely miserable...SO anxious and moody and depressed.

Several months ago I switched to Ortho 7-7-7. It seemed to work well...at least I didn't notice the usual emotional problems! My boyfriend and I decided to take a "break" at about the same time that I was supposed to start my next pack (about 5 weeks ago). I stopped taking the pills because I figured I wouldn't need them. Well, fortunately, the break was a LOT shorter (like two days ) than I had thought it would be. I decided to just wait out the month and then start taking them again. So a week ago when my cycle restarted I started back up on the Ortho 7-7-7 but YIKES! NO good!! The past week I have been very anxious and moody again! I don't remember having these problems when I was taking them before. Maybe my body just needs to readjust? Could this be the effect of stopping and starting them again? Or should I try yet ANOTHER pill?? Do some people just not handle ANY pills well??

I know it sometimes takes a while for your body to adjust to them, so I tempted to stick with the Ortho 7-7-7 for a few more months (especially since I don't remember having problems with them before!) ... problem is I've become a pretty difficult person to live with right now and I'm afraid this craziness is gonna do in the relationship (poor boyfriend has had to deal with WAY too many of my hormone-induced mood swings over the past year and a half and his patience seems to be wearing thin...)

Sorry this is so long! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
    Wolfman

Wolfman HB User

My girlfriend couldn't handle the combined pill. She was fine while taking them but suffered from depression on the placebo week (which went away as soon as she started taking the real pills again). This got progressively worse every month until she stopped taking them altogether. The doctor said it was probably due to estrogen withdrawal and put her on the mini-pill (progesten only) instead. She has had absolutely no problems since.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
    Tree Hugger
    (female)

Tree Hugger HB User

i have tried MANY BC pills..
    the doctor finally told me that simply no , i cannot take them, they do NOT agree with my system and that if the lightest dosage still causes troubles, as it does, then no , he said some people just cant handle them! I had PROLONGED bleeding of up to 5 or 6 weeks while on them!!! AHH!

Old 01-14-2004, 03:20 AM   #9
    khkent2003

khkent2003 HB User

I can't handle them either. They do something weird to my muscles...I don't understand. They give me muscle aches and my chest starts to hurt too. I think I may have some clotting problem and taking the pill gives me small clots. Who knows, but the 4 times I've tried it, something always hurts!

Closed Thread