It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Ovcon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2004, 01:20 AM   #1
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User
    Ovcon

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I had my annual today with this new doc who I do not like at all (Long story I'll spare ou the details) anyway I needed to get on some BC pills since my wedding is rapidly approaching so she grabs me a three month supply of BC pills some brand I'd never heard of...Ovcon 35 okie dokie she gives me the very basic rules....tells me to come back in two and a half months so she can check my blood pressure and she'll write me a prescription then. But tells me nothing more about the pills....

So...being the curious one that I am...I read the pamphlet....doesn't tell me much...so I go online. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find info on this pill?....I can find sites where I can BUY it and such but to just find info it's a bit hard...anywho...can someone tell me if some of this is just 'common' don't do's for ANY kind of birth control? "Do not use over-the-counter products that increase blood pressure. These include cough or cold remedies, diet pills, stimulants, ibuprofen or like products, and certain herbs or supplements. " also another big one was "limited to no use of caffeine" which is fine with me as I don't have alot on a regular basis anyhow but I found that one odd...

Ok that one whatever....the one that gets me: "Do not use if you have a history of breast or endometrial cancer or a strong family history (sister, mother) of breast cancer. Talk with healthcare provider." Ding ding ding we have a winner! Breast cancer runs rampent in my family....This gal KNOWS this....(She's been seeing my mother for YEARS)

Ok I'm done ranting and raving. Question: Are these warnings that are given on ANY form of BC? And I'm guessing it'd be in my best interest to call the doc back and make mention of these concerns before going on it correct?

*Sigh*

Just so frustrated is all....

Last edited by Dakota; 01-17-2004 at 01:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
    Kaycee41
    (female)

Kaycee41 HB User
    Re: Ovcon

I think all birth control pills come with this warning. Even non-oral BC such as the patch. My experience with GYN's is that they "shruge-off" family history and package warnings.

Old 01-17-2004, 07:28 AM   #3
    Ashton'sMommy

Ashton'sMommy HB User

All birth control comes with that warning. They say your risk for breast cancer increases when you use oral contraceptives so they put that warning.

I can tell you that I used Ovcon 35 and that it is very good an curbing mood swings and it has also been know to be one of the few birth control pills to not have any sexual side effects.

I got on it because I had horrible mood swings and never wanted to make love to my husband ( my sexual need deminished from birth control pills )

My doctor put me on the Ovcon because of the type of hormones and ta daaa my mood swings just about went away completely as well as my sexual apeitite coming back.

I LOVED ovcon !!

I know the name isnt very common and it is only because the company does not spend boocoo's of cash advertising like ortho etc does but it is a wonderful pill. I loved it. Ovcon is made by brystol Myers Squibb.

Ovcon has won alot of praise because it is offered in a chewable form as well.

Ovcon contains the hormones Norethindrone and Ethinyl Estradiol . If you do a search on those 2 hormones you are going to find more info on the pill than what you would just searching for "ovcon 35"

I think you will really like the pill, trust your doctor.
    This pill is way better than many of the phasic pills out there that cause what I stated above as well as other side effects.

Old 01-18-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

Awsome! Thank you so much!!

I just had NEVER EVER seen the name around and figured 'yeesh how will I ever find anyone who has been on this before?'

And the whole cancer thing freaked me out so...*Shrugs* Oh well...I'll only be on it for about a year anyhow.

Hey quick question!!....one I forgot to ask the doc but will to double check when I go in march/april to let her know how it's working.

Is this one of the types (yes it is the ovcon 35, and not the 50) that can be used to kinda 'skip' a period? not something I really wanna do but with the wedding approaching I'd like to do some adjusting if at all possible...lol

Thank you again!

Old 01-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
    tsk_n_such

tsk_n_such HB User

my doctor wants me to switch pills as well, due to some health issues i've been having with other pills. i had the same issues with trying to find information on it. i'm not a big fan of switching, as this pill seems to be similar to ortho, which gave me lots of problems. also, the whole 'use a backup method for a few weeks' thing is a bit irksome. i went on the pill in the first place to avoid having to use those methods

Old 01-19-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

LOL tsk I know what you mean!

However for me it's not a huge deal....my fiance and I are in a long distance relationship So by the time I see him again the few weeks should have passed.

Though I think we're gonna continue to use condoms til the wedding as well.....(yeah...he's paranoid )

Old 01-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
    Ashton'sMommy

Ashton'sMommy HB User

This pill is one that you can use to skip a period but you need to double check with your doctor and make sure that it is okay for you to do this.

good luck

p.s When I skipped my period for my wedding I was on OrthoEvra patch and my period skipped wonderfully with no side effects or spotting whatsoever. Ithink it really depends on the womans cycle as to how effective itworks.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

Ok thankyou again!

Yes I will double check with the doc when I go in....gonna shoot for early april...

hopefully I won't need to do it....but going on the pill it's going to shorten my cycle (My cycle naturally is 31 days)and on the pill it should knock me down to 28....if I let myself go natural my period should arrive about two days after the wedding....so we'll see how it looks when the time gets closer.

Last edited by Dakota; 01-20-2004 at 02:39 PM.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:46 AM   #9
    Wyndi
    (female)

Wyndi HB User

I was on Ovcon 35 for about 3 months and HATED it!!! I had breakthrough bleeding every 2 weeks and a regular period during the placebo week. I had the worst mood swings and thought I was having a break down. Not to mention the inconvenience of bleeding all but 1 and a half weeks a month. I just switched to Seasonale and so far it's great. I think some people just have low tolerance to a high estrogen pill, which Ovcon 35 is. I'm one of those, i need a lower estrogen pill. So hopefully you'll be like the other woman in the post who absolutely loves it. I guess it just depends on chemistry.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

I was under the impression that the 35 was a low dose?....I'm kinda small built so I don't see why she woulda put me on a high dose....

I honestly just don't want to be on any birth control LOL But being my fiance won't graduate college til spring 05 I need to be for a year *Sigh*

Old 01-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
    Ashton'sMommy

Ashton'sMommy HB User

ovcon has 35mgc's or whatever and then there are the "lowdose" pills with 20mcg's of estrogen or estrogen type hormone like..
    alesse
    mircette
    etc.

Only problem with the lower doses are that they cause more breakthru bleeding .

I prefer a lower estrogen pill 20 or less but my body cannot handle it and I need the higher levels.

its all up to you and your body. Try Ovcon for 3 months.. if after 3 mos your body isnt reacting like you would like it to switch. Sometimes it takes a few pills to get used to it.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:58 PM   #12
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

Oh gotcha didn't know they had an even lower dose....I just read about the 35 and then the 50.....LOL

Thanks!

Closed Thread