It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Tell me what BCP you're on and if you like it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
    Cyndee

Cyndee HB User
    Tell me what BCP you're on and if you like it

I need to switch my pill and I've tried Yasmin and Ortho Tri Cy Lo and don't like the side effects -- please tell me what you're on and if you're happy with your Pill. Thanks, it will help me present options to my ob/gyn so he can figure out one for me. Cyndee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
    tsk_n_such

tsk_n_such HB User
    Re: Tell me what BCP you're on and if you like it

i'm on micronor. i gained weight a year ago from Depo and although i haven't gotten all of it off, i haven't gained any extra. the only problem i have is breakthrough bleeding, but i have had that on every pill i've tried..ortho, Alesse, etc.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
    missymouse

missymouse HB User

hmm I'm not on a pill, but the patch. OrthoEvra. I love it. Up until recently I had no side effects. my only side effect now is that I get rough patches and red spots at the application site. If you don't want to mess witht he hassle of taking a pill everyday, I would definately suggest it. It is just as effective as OC's, probably more so because it nearly eliminates the possibility for user error.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
    angelkitty081

angelkitty081 HB User

I'm also on Ortho Evra. I love it! Not taking a pill everyday is great especially since I can't remember to take one anyway. You leave it on for one week and change it every week for three weeks then leave it off on the fourth week and have a period. It doesn't come off in the shower or pool or anything. Just clean the area thouroghly with some alcohol and it stays on.The best application site I think is if you put it on your lower abdomen. No one can see it there. I don't have any side effects, and it's so convieniant!

Old 01-22-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
    brittanyburk

brittanyburk HB User

doesn't the patch make you gain more weight than a pill??

Old 01-22-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
    missymouse

missymouse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brittanyburk
    doesn't the patch make you gain more weight than a pill??

No actually, the patch has been shown to have fewer instances of weight gain than most OC's

Old 01-23-2004, 06:20 AM   #7
    22ad22

22ad22 HB User

I'm on estrostep and I love it! Besides breakthrough bleeding the first month I haven't had any side effects. It's approved for acne. I used to have an acne problem and tried many antibiotics, but this stuff works way better than anything.

It's a triphasic but its different than other triphasics. It gradually increases the estrogen but the progestin stays the same. I've read that the reason a lot of people have problems, such as mood swings, from triphasics is because the progestin is changing. I haven't had any mood swings or problems with estrostep.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
    angelkitty081

angelkitty081 HB User

I haven't gained a pound. If it were going to affect your weight any it would affect you the same as the pill. Its the same thing just slowly released through your skin Actually there's probably less chances of weight gain since the hormone levels are not peaking after taking a pill.

Last edited by angelkitty081; 01-23-2004 at 05:37 PM.

Old 02-26-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
    Tyger

Tyger HB User

I'm on Diane-35 (I've also tried Levlen and Yasmin) and like it best out of the others I've tried.
    I get a bit of water retention, but not that much of a difference in weight, and my skin is beautiful now as a result of the Diane.
    Yasmin gave me horrible anxiety and depression.
    Levlen made my skin break out a lot.

Tyger.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
    novembre
    Veteran
    (female)

novembre HB User

Cyndee - Unfortunately, what works for anyone else won't necessarily work for you. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for a while and loved it - no side effects whatsoever and it cleared up my skin really nicely. Now I'm on Ortho Evra (patch) and I don't really like it at all.. I suppose it's working, but I just hate wearing a patch all the time. I didn't have a hard time remembering to take the pill, so maybe I'm not the target audience, but my doctor said it releases a lower hormone dosage than the pill so that's probably why there are fewer side effects at least as far as weight gain goes. Good luck finding something that works for you, but don't count on something just because it worked for some other people. These things affect everyone differently.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:43 AM   #11
    vboredatwork
    (female)

vboredatwork HB User

I'm on Mircette, another low dose pill. I didn't have any side effects except I developed melasma/chloasma which is a v big pain to get rid of. On the bright side it cleared up my spots completely. I think all pills expose you to the risk of melasma if you're susceptable to it so I don't know if there's any point in changing. Anybody who knows otherwise, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks
    Ciara

Old 02-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #12
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

I'm on Alesse & I hate it! No bad side effects, but I've been on it for four months,and since going on it, I get my period almost a week early each month, and then, my period lasts for 10 days! My periods are lighter, but they last twice as long.

Old 02-28-2004, 01:16 AM   #13
    ellekay
    Veteran
    (female)

ellekay HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tyger
    I'm on Diane-35 (I've also tried Levlen and Yasmin) and like it best out of the others I've tried.
    I get a bit of water retention, but not that much of a difference in weight, and my skin is beautiful now as a result of the Diane.
    Yasmin gave me horrible anxiety and depression.
    Levlen made my skin break out a lot.

Tyger.
    Im also on Diane tyger and i think its fine SO FAR but im getting depressed on it a little.
    Some days are better than others but yeh i think its ok.
    after a month should i experience any side effects?
    Should they have come already???

Last edited by ellekay; 02-28-2004 at 01:17 AM.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #14
    Tyger

Tyger HB User

Hey Ellekay,
    Occasionally, yes, the pill may affect your mood... I know on Yasmin i was horribly depressed.
    However, don't be inclined to blame it immediately on your pill, if you are just having a 'blue day', have a think about any other factors that could be stressing you out or making you feel run-down (diet, amount of sleep, health). Sometimes you'll find that there is some extraneous reason and the pill may not be contributing at all.
    I found no other side-effects other than my period tends to follow a strange pattern (its not like my non-pill period used to be) but it is lighter.
    I've loved its effect on my skin!

Tyger.

Closed Thread