It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Alesse Birth Control Pill...Does anyone have any information??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
    Lakini
    (female)

Lakini HB User
    Unhappy Alesse Birth Control Pill...Does anyone have any information??

Hi there,

I have just started taking the Alesse 21 BCP. I have had very few side effects from the pill which is a good thing....except that I am now on my third week of the pill and have gained about 8 pounds or so. I know with BCP's you can gain weight but 8 pounds in 3 weeks seems like alot. Is there a pill that doesn't make you gain weight? Is the weight gain just from my body adjusting to the pill and will my body weight go back to somewhat normal? I'm wondering if I should stop taking it? Is there something I am doing that I shouldn't be doing? My eating habits and daily activity have not changed. I don't know what the heck is going on with my body. If anyone has any advice or info I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
    Lakini

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User
    Re: Alesse Birth Control Pill...Does anyone have any information??

Lakini, I've been on Alesse b/c pills for about five months now. I gained between 6-8 lbs. the first few weeks I started taking them. At my follow up office visit with my gynocologist, I told him I was unhappy with the weight I'd gained from the Alesse. He assured me that the birth control pills (any brand) do not actually cause you to gain weight. What happens, is that with the changes in your hormonal levels, they can cause you to be hungrier...thus, you sometimes eat more. But he said, that most women blame the weight gain on the birth control pills. I did find though, that they caused me to retain water more. If that's your only side effect, I'd stay on the Alesse unless your dr. tells you otherwise.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tempest
    Actually it has a lot to do with water weight too. Check out Yasmin (do a search on it). It is supposed to help minimize wieght gain, depression and acne.
    When I switched to it I lost 10 pounds within a month that I had gained from the other stuff I was on (don't remember which). I didn't feel as moody. However, my skin is much in question, but have only been on it just under 4 months so maybe it will even out. I really hope.
    Yup, a year & a half ago I went on Alesse to calm my cramps & it didn't do that much actually-pain was better & shorter, but not that much better. But I did gain some weight, and it was all in my chest, I grew a size & also an inch around the waist. Alesse failed me when I missed 4 pills in one week & I had my period for 2 months straight, so I switched to Yasmin & LOVED it..stopped having my period all the time/cramps got better & I lost all the weight from Alesse & then some. I've lost about 12 lbs in the year i've been on it & it has actually helped my cramps to the point wher Advil is all I need(!!)! So I think it was all water weight I gained on Alesse, kinda miss the larger bra size actually hehe, anyways, your body adjusts after 6 months to a year to the pill & then you will lose the weight you've gained. It's proven that all the negative effects are pretty much reversed within a year in studies i've seen published. BCPs are not for quick relief or a quick answer, they are something made for the long term, it takes YEARS sometimes to get used to them & find the right one..Personally I wasn't a huge fan of Alesse, I LOVE Yasmin & i'm never going off this until I have kids lol..have had very little problems with it! Some people have a problem with depression with Yasmin though..haven't noticed that in myself, but everyone is different. It's alla bout trial & error & finding what works for YOU. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User

I've been taking Alesse for nearly a year now. I don't frequently weigh myself, so i'm not positive if i gained weight or not, but there were no visible changes in my size, so i assume that i haven't gained. I too experienced an increase in the size of my breasts, but i'm not sure if that would have happened naturally anyway. Alesse has proven to be effective. Oh, and it's REALLY helped clear up my skin! That's just me though; i know others have had different experiences. It does its job and i have no complaints.

Last edited by surrealmeal; 03-29-2004 at 10:57 PM.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
    devastated
    Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

I gained ALOT of weight on Allesse, and it made me very emotional. I have since stopped using and got a paraguard IUD, which I have VERY happy with, and it has no hormones! yay!

Old 03-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
    Epiphany2003

Epiphany2003 HB User

I was on it for a year and a half and have no complaints except a major loss of libido, but I suppose that comes with the territory. I have to agree with the poster who said the weight gain is not the pill, it's the increase in appetite it causes. If you stop eating when you know we've eaten enough, you will be fine.

It's actually the lowest dose of horomone you can take in a pill, so for people who are sensitive to mood swings, etc., usually do failry well on it.

I had to get off of it due to interactions with other medication I am on (now I have the mirena), otherwise I would still be using it.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
    keithsgirl22

keithsgirl22 HB User

Hi there!! I took Allesse for about a year for endometriosis and i gained 15 pounds and i had major breakthrough bleeding, so i was bleeding and having cramps even when i wasn't supposed to have a period!! So i switched pills and now i take orto-cyclen and it is much better!! so talk to your doctor about switching because it is alot better, but if weight gain is the only side effect you are having talk to your Dr. about maybe a better diet guide and i am sure he/she can help you with that!! but i gained alot of weight, also you might want to ask which ones help lose weight, because some bc pills make people lose weight, but they effect everyone different, good luck!!

keithsgirl

Old 04-05-2004, 06:41 AM   #8
    luzz

luzz HB User

I had negative effects while taking Yasmin for about a year- most noteably breast tenderness for nearly the entire month (no good!).

I've recently switched to Alesse, but almost didn't fill the prescription I was given because I checked these boards and saw many posts about negative effects of Alesse - I thought to myself that I just couldn't win.

Well, I did end up filling the rx for Alesse and am happy to report that I haven't experienced anything like what I experienced on Yasmin thus far (my second month on it). I guess it's just further proof that nothing is 'one size fits all' and what might work for some won't work for all.

(Personally, I'm tired of the effects BCP's have had on my libido and am researching other forms of birth control.)

Best of luck to you!!

Old 04-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
    greeksiren

greeksiren HB User

I didn't notice a weight gain when I went on Alesse, but when I finally got off it, boy did I lose weight quickly! Without even trying! I also noticed my breasts got smaller. The major side effect I had is a loss of libido. I had virtually no sex drive! Glad to find out it was only the pill and not my personality!

The Following User Says Thank You to greeksiren For This Useful Post:
    stamp (07-04-2012)
    Closed Thread