It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• The pill, the patch, or the shot?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
    ashley123

ashley123 HB User
    Thumbs up Birth Control - The pill, the patch, or the shot?

Which one do you prefer, and what are the percentages of effectiveness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User
    Re: Birth Control - The pill, the patch, or the shot?

If used correctly all the methods you've mentioned are 98-99% effective (give or take some)....

'average' use of the pill generally decreases the effectiveness slightly...

So basically when choosing one since the %'s are roughly the same it just depends on how often you want to have to deal with it....daily...weekly...monthly...

Old 05-21-2004, 11:49 PM   #3
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

I prefer the pill-it may be a pain to remember to take everyday, but my roommate has had all kinds of problems w/ the patch falling off, anf she was also really nauscious when she first started it. And with the shot, who wants to spot for the first 3 months???

Old 05-22-2004, 10:55 AM   #4
    Reina90
    (female)

Reina90 HB User

I'm on the pill right now, and so far I like it better than the patch. The only problem is remembering to take it every day. This was easy to solve though by wearing a watch with an alarm on it to remind me. The patch made me irritable and gave me constant breast pain and I was always aware of it on me. I didn't have any problems with it coming off though. As for the shot, I would never even consider that as an option. First of all, I've heard a lot of horror stories about it. Second of all, it isn't reversable for three months or more. If you're having problems on it, you can't just stop taking it like the pill or the patch. You have to endure it until it wears off completely. I personally would never do this, because I think it's a risky thing to do. Other forms of birth control such as the patch and the pill seem much safer to me. Who wants to be miserable with side effects you can't change for three months or more when you don't have to be?

Old 05-22-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I use the patch and I love it. I hated trying to remember to take the pill every morning. I felt nauseous the first day I used it but after that, I didn't have any problems. I've been on it for over a year now and I'm never going back to the pill.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
    ashley123

ashley123 HB User

I didn't know that you spotted for the first 3 months with the shot, what else is bad about the shot.. are there any websites about it?

Old 05-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
    ashley123

ashley123 HB User

I just found the horror stories of the shot, that really is horrible!

Old 05-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
    ashley123

ashley123 HB User

So howcome the pill is so much better than the shot? Are the side effects of the pill better?

Old 05-23-2004, 11:11 PM   #9
    Reina90
    (female)

Reina90 HB User

hey ashley,
    i can't answer this as an expert, but my guess is that when you get the shot, you are subjected to a much larger amount of hormones than you are with the pill or patch. Plus, these hormones are delivered into your body all at one time...whereas with the pill or patch you get small dosages over longer periods of time. I personally don't know how the side effects compare because I haven't had the shot, but I don't like the idea of not being able to control my body for three months. With the pill or patch, you will always have the option to be able to stop at anytime. Just my opinion.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #10
    novembre
    Veteran
    (female)

novembre HB User

I haven't had the shot, but, like the others, have heard a lot of horror stories. I have been on the pill and the patch, and I very much prefer the pill. The patch gave me really bad period cramps (and I've never had a problem with period cramps) and I was constantly worried about it falling off, even though it never did. I was paranoid on it. The pill I like because once it's in, it's in as long as you don't have diarrhea or throw up.

The one bad side effect I think the pill is responsible for is a loss of my sex drive. I'm experimenting being off it for a few months to see if I feel any different. My main reason for going on the pill was to regulate my menstrual cycle, and I was on it for four years. I'll be interested to see if that's become normal as well. A definite plus to being on the pill, aside from the regulated periods, was that it cleared up my skin.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:21 AM   #11
    qtstarbelly

qtstarbelly HB User

Hi- I've used all except the shot (it kind of freaks me out). The pill was a pain to remember. I would forget to take it and you are supposed to take it the exact same TIME everyday. A bother if you ask me but I was on it for years. I tried the patch which was great because you didn't have to think about it for a whole week. The only down side was the sticky around the outside edge would grab every piece of lint and fuzz from my clothes so it formed an unattractive fuzz ring around the patch. It never came off completely but the edges would curl up a bit. I suppose it depends on where you stick it. I wore mine on my lower abdomin so my jeans would rub it, perhaps thats why it curled up. I'm on Nuva Ring now and love it. I believe it's over 99% effective. I think it's much more likely to be effective because no matter what, as long as it's in you it's working. Unlike the pill which you have to be very precise. It's a plastic-y ring (about 2in in diameter) and it's bendy. You just bend it with your fingers and insert into your vagina and push it up. Kind of like an applicator-less tampon. It stays up there for 3 weeks and then you pull it out for the 4th week for your menstral cycle. You can visit their site and find out more. The only prob with this method is sometimes it would slide out a bit (not all the way) and I would have to push it back up. With this method I totally forget it's up there. It came with an awesome timer from my gyno (it came in a starter pack). It counts down 28 days and beeps every like 5 min when it's time to take it out. It also counts down your period days and beeps when you are supposed to put a new one in.

Hope this helped a little

Last edited by qtstarbelly; 05-25-2004 at 10:23 AM.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #12
    Reina90
    (female)

Reina90 HB User

qtstar,
    I was thinking about trying nuvaring, but I heard that sometimes it was problematic during sex...the guy could feel it...and it was uncomfortable. Is this true? Do you have any insight about this?

Old 05-27-2004, 10:35 AM   #13
    qtstarbelly

qtstarbelly HB User

Oh No, I haven't any trouble with the ring during sex. My guy says he can't feel it at all. If anything, sex helps keep it up there and not coming out. Also, I never know it's there (the ring ) during the 3 weeks. The only time you may feel it is if it starts to slide out. It's kind of like a tampon (if you've used them). It sits above the muscles in the upper part of your space were you can't feel it. If it were to come down between the muscles you may be able to feel it. A room mate of mine said that she had hers fling out once during sex and she had to root around in the bed for it but I don't think that is a common occurance. I've never had that happen to me and I've been using it for a year now. Like I said the only thing I can say that is alittle difficult is it will occationally slide down so it peeks out a bit and then you have to push it back in. If it ever does come out completely (which I've never had happen) I think you have two hours to either rinse it off and put it back in or get a new one. Perhaps on your next trip to the gyno ask about it. She will probably have one there she can show you and tell you what she has heard from her other patients who may have tried it. I find it is by far the best of all types. Especially because you don't have to think about it AND it works all the time for 3 weeks. As always though, I use a condom too, just to be safe.

Last edited by qtstarbelly; 05-27-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Closed Thread