It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Birth Control Options?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
    Birth Control Options?

Hello all. I had a baby almost 5 weeks ago, so it is getting close to my 6 week checkup. I am going to be getting back on some type of birth control, I just don't know what kind. Here's my dilemma.

I was on the pill before my hubby and I started trying to conceive. I was on it from the time before he and I met, until after we were married in 2001 and started trying to get pregnant. The entire time I was on it, I had no sex drive whatsoever. I mean nothing. It was bad to the point that I'm actually surprised that he still married me. It was almost like I would rather have done anything as long as I didn't have to have sex. I went to my gyno a few different times and told her my problem and she switched my pills 2 or 3 different times but each one had the same result. I know it was the pill causing this because as soon as I went off the pill, I became a nympho. (sorry for the TMI )

Anyway, now I have to find a very reliable form of birth control that doesn't have the same hormones as the pill, so my hubby won't want to divorce me. I know for a fact that I don't want any more children (this is my second), but having my tubes ties almost seems too final right now. I am definitely considering it for later, just not right now. Condoms are too unreliable in my opinion if used alone. I don't know much about the shot, I just know that it scares me to get it because what if it causes me to lose my sex drive? Then since it's a more permanent thing, it could take awhile to get it out of my system. I know nothing about the IUD either. The only forms of birth control I have any experience with are the pill and condoms.

I wanted to know what experience if any you all have had with various forms of birth control, and what you thought of the different types. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
    Re: Birth Control Options?

Anyone out there who can give me the goods and the bads of the different forms of birth control? Or anyone with any advice for me? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Falynsmommy
    Anyone out there who can give me the goods and the bads of the different forms of birth control? Or anyone with any advice for me? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again.
    Hormonal forms of birth control are going to mess with your libido. If you couldn't find a birth control pill formulation prior to your pregnancy that gave you back your normal libido, I'd advise you to avoid them this time around.
    So check off birth control pills, shot, patch.

That leaves barrier methods such as:

> spermicide and condoms (yeah, that's right, you insert spermicidal foam into your vagina prior to sex. hubby wears condom. That way if the condom breaks or fails or comes off, you've got a back up in place). Actually using these two together is very effective birth control. You don't need a prescription or a fitting appointment with a dr. either.
    > diaphragm This method presupposes you are comfortable with your body and inserting the spermicide filled diaphragm into your vagina. Also pre-supposes you will be planning sex (not so good for the "swept away" impulse sex thing) which, to be realistic, now that you have a baby is probably the kind of sex you WILL be having....the plan ahead kind. Using spermicide with diaphragm and using both EVERY TIME you have sex makes this an effective form of birth control. You'll need to be fitted by a medical professional.
    > cervical cap Works similar to diaphragm but since it fits over the cervix, is less bulky and harder for the male to discern. Again, it's a "plan ahead" form of birth control. If you don't like anything about a diaphragm, you probably won't care for the cap. However, if you like the diaphragm except for its bulk, consider the cervical cap. You'll need to be fitted by a medical professional.
    Of course you can always stop and insert either the diaphragm or cervical cap but real world experience shows that couples aren't good about the stop and insert thing.
    > cervical sponge Not sure this is back on the market yet, but it is convenient and easy to use and disposable. Over the counter. If it's back, that is.
    > female condoms. Interesting device. Might be more attractive to hubby than male condoms. Over the counter. Use with spermicide. No medical fitting needed.

Uterine birth control device:
    > IUD there are copper-based ones and hormone-releasing ones. Avoid the latter. You'll need a medical appointment or two for this one and some women experience heavy periods while using an IUD.

Fertility method:
    > Basal body temp method. This is a more scientific "rythym" kind of birth control. You must track your temperature and ovulation for a few months in order to pinpoint when you are fertile. If you are breast feeding, you may not be ovulating regularly. Might have to put this method aside for some months from now. You don't need a dr. to tell you how this works (there's lotsa books out on it, for example) however I recommend that you attend a class. This is one method you DON'T want to mess up, since the consequences can be baby #2.

I'm a fan of the cervical cap, m'self!

Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Thanks csoar2004. Your post helped me out alot. This baby is actually our second, our first daughter is 8 years old. I know for a fact that I don't want any more children so I don't believe I'll be using the rhythm method. Too risky for me. I would like to get a tubal done soon, just not right now. As for the other forms of barrier birth control, I'll have to speak with my doctor about them and see what she would recommend for me. See, I wasn't sure if the shot contained the same type of hormones as the pill so your post was very helpful. I just want something that is going to be very effective because you can be sure I'll be very careful with whatever form I choose. Thanks again.

Closed Thread