It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Birth Control and St.John's Wort

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2004, 02:53 AM   #1
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
    Arrow Birth Control and St.John's Wort

Hi ladies,
    I've read that taking st. john's wort can reduce the effectiveness of the birth control pill--is this true? The reason I ask is because I think I'm getting back into depression (I've been on meds before, but I do not want to go back on them so I'm looking for alternatives, and I've read that st. john's wort is a VERY good, natural way to help reduce depression), and want to see if st. john's wort can alleviate some of it for me... Do you guys think that it reduces the effectiveness greatly, or is the chance just slightly higher that you could get pregnant on the pill? Any replies will be GREALTY appreciated. Thanks!

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
    LouiseLaws
    Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User
    Re: Birth Control and St.John's Wort

As with anything homeopathy, aromatherapy, anything Ďalternativeí can be just as harmful as modern medical treatments, if they can have a positive effect on your body they can have a negative too so should always be researched Ė unfortunately a lot of people just assume because they are natural remedies they are safer than medical treatments, sometimes people are wrong.

You have heard right St. Johnís wort is very good for depression, however it does reduce effectiveness of hormonal birth control, it can reduce it significantly, obviously it depends on what birth control you are taking, how much St Johnís wort you take, how you take it and how your body reacts to either of these.
    If I were you I would certainly not take the risk.
    One thought, is the hormonal birth control contributing to the depression?
    Itís a pretty obvious question to ask however many women donít realise the harm hormonal birth control can do to their bodies, and doctors are unfortunately often pretty archaic. Has your doctor looked into changing your birth control, maybe changing the hormonal birth control or suggested other methods to you?

I feel your pain on the subject of anti-depressants, I have never suffered depression myself but my boyfriend and flatmate have with no luck. I myself was put on medication for migraines which was a mild version of an anti-depressant and I felt like a zombie, took myself off it straight away, god help anyone who suffers depression and are given the full dose of that stuff.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
    sidnee74

sidnee74 HB User
    Re: Birth Control and St.John's Wort

I recommend the book "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. It lays out a natural way for dealing with different types of depression, including supplements, diet & exercise. It has worked wonders for me. I have been following it for about 10 months with great results. God Bless.

Closed Thread