It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Switching BC pills!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
    chels896

chels896 HB User
    Switching BC pills!

I am going to switch from Ortho Tri-cyclin which I have used for almost 8 months to Yasmin. I got a really bad initial breakout with the Ortho Tri-cylin, and it hasn't done a whole lot for my skin and now I am worried that I will get the same initial breakout with the Yasmin??! When I started the Ortho I haden't been on a BC pill for like a year before that, so I think it was just that my body wasnt used to the hormones. Do you still get initial breakouts just from switching to a different pill, or is it just when you start taking BC for the first time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
    Steuby

Steuby HB User
    Re: Switching BC pills!

I am really interested in this too! My daughter has been breaking out badly from OTC-Lo....she's been on it almost 6 months and thinks that's long enough ! She wants to switch to Yasmin too, but is afraid of the same thing you are !
    Anyone out there with some insight on this??????

Old 07-05-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Wink Re: Switching BC pills!

Yes you can still get the initial breakout by switching bc pills. They all have different hormones and different amounts of them. I was on Ortho tri cyclen for a year and then switched to Yasmin. I experienced an initial breakout in the 2nd and 3rd month but not everyone does. Stick with it though because I've been on Yasmin for almost a year now and I'm clear. I only had mild acne problems to begin with but I think the Yasmin is quite helpful and keeping things balanced. I also like that it's a monophasic instead of triphasic pill so you get the same amount of hormones throughout the entire month.

Old 07-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
    chels896

chels896 HB User

latayy26~ Yea I thought that would be the answer I would hear. I agree that every bc pill has different hormones, but I am hoping the fact that my body is already used to having some hormones from otc the yasmin won't cause quite as bad of a break out as the otc caused.. cuz it was like going from no hormones to tons... and now its like going from some hormones to a little bit different hormones.. not as drastic of a change on my body. Well.. I will keep my fingers crossed.. cuz i don't want to go through that break out again.. it was HELL!!!! But my skin just hasn't gotten back to the way it used to be. OTC used to work wonders for my skin and now it just doesn't do the trick anymore...maybe I'll have better luck with yasmin!!!!

Old 07-05-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chels896
    latayy26~ Yea I thought that would be the answer I would hear. I agree that every bc pill has different hormones, but I am hoping the fact that my body is already used to having some hormones from otc the yasmin won't cause quite as bad of a break out as the otc caused.. cuz it was like going from no hormones to tons... and now its like going from some hormones to a little bit different hormones.. not as drastic of a change on my body. Well.. I will keep my fingers crossed.. cuz i don't want to go through that break out again.. it was HELL!!!! But my skin just hasn't gotten back to the way it used to be. OTC used to work wonders for my skin and now it just doesn't do the trick anymore...maybe I'll have better luck with yasmin!!!!

You have said both that the OTC worked wonders and then you said it didn't work at all. Were you on it once before the 8 months you were on it this time? At what time did it work wonders for you and at what time did it stop? I'm interested because my daughter is on OTC now in month 4.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
    chels896

chels896 HB User

I started OTC when I was a Jr. in highschool.. cuz I had bad skin problems. It completely cleared me up 100%, although it took about 4 months to work. Then I stopped taking it 3 years later.. just because my prescription ran out and I didn't want to go back to the gyno! and then I didn't have any skin problems until I started it again a year later. I broke out sooooo bad (initial breakout) and then it slowly got better.. but now I still break out occasionally.. so I want to change to a pill that will clear me up again 100%!! I think sometimes after being on one certain BC pill for so long your body becomes kind of immune to it and the skin clearing ability is destroyed in a sense.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    I started OTC when I was a Jr. in highschool.. cuz I had bad skin problems. It completely cleared me up 100%, although it took about 4 months to work. Then I stopped taking it 3 years later.. just because my prescription ran out and I didn't want to go back to the gyno! and then I didn't have any skin problems until I started it again a year later. I broke out sooooo bad (initial breakout) and then it slowly got better.. but now I still break out occasionally.. so I want to change to a pill that will clear me up again 100%!! I think sometimes after being on one certain BC pill for so long your body becomes kind of immune to it and the skin clearing ability is destroyed in a sense.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. no pun intended. so it took 4 months to work the first time? did you see any improvement before that time or was it really bad up till 4 months and then magically started to improve in the 5th month? did you feel like it was getting worse before getting better? thanks for responding. i'm really looking for answers for her right now. We have a derm appt. on Wednesday and I want to keep an opened mind about this. I've frankly never seen her skin look like this before.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

I'm debating whether to switch too.. I'm in month 4 and there's absolutely no improvement!! Actually my acne is worse than before I started (I have 8 active pimples at the moment) b4 BC I would have a few clear days and then a few bad days and since BC I haven't had a single clear week. Anyway, talked to my bf about it and he thinks I should wait another 2 months for the full six months... geez what a LONG wait

Just out of interest, has anyone gone on OTC lately and have been HAPPY with the results??? have they changed the formula??

Old 07-05-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
    chels896

chels896 HB User

my skin completely got worse before it got better. It was absoluetley terrible for about 2 months and then it slowly got better and I would say I was pretty clear after 4 months. Just be patient because I am sure it will start working for her. I am also taking an antibiotic with my bc pill, which I think helped me. Everyone has their own opinion on antibiotics, but i think they work good... and I haven't had any problems from them besides a yeast infection.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #10
    chels896

chels896 HB User

I would really love to hear from someone that has switched from one BC pill to another and not had an initial breakout from the new pill.. cuz i am really freaking right now about this... cuz I can't go through the hell of getting another initial breakout..i already experienced that from otc

Old 07-05-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    my skin completely got worse before it got better. It was absoluetley terrible for about 2 months and then it slowly got better and I would say I was pretty clear after 4 months. Just be patient because I am sure it will start working for her. I am also taking an antibiotic with my bc pill, which I think helped me. Everyone has their own opinion on antibiotics, but i think they work good... and I haven't had any problems from them besides a yeast infection.

which antibiotic are you on now? she's been on many over the years but i'm kind of hoping the derm puts her on one also. i'd like her to be clearer before school begins again. btw - she's much more patient than I am i'm a freak about it. the doctor we're seeing has some kind of light therapy now that i'm interested in. it's supposedly an alternative to antibiotics.

also, she started on a generic form of OTC for 2 months before I switched her to the real thing. i wonder if the switching may have slowed her progress down. like maybe she had to go through another initial breakout. i know they're supposed to be the same but i'm not so sure.

Last edited by skimom; 07-05-2004 at 05:39 PM.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:18 PM   #12
    chels896

chels896 HB User

skimom- I am on minocycline.. and it works great...so far. It is suppose to be the strongest antibiotic for acne...but give it a month to start working!

Old 07-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #13
    Rachelara

Rachelara HB User

Hey all,
    I am thinking about getting on the pill to see if it will clear up my acne.
    I am 26 and totally out of nowhere in March of this year, my skin breaks out, all over my face. My skin is itchy from time to time and sometimes feels irritated by different cleansers I've tried. My skin is oily to begin with, but I never had breakouts like this. I now get cysts (at least 4 to 6 of them at once) and I've tried Proactive, bought Neutrogena Rapid Clear, moved from just regular anti-bacterial Dial bar soap, and now trying Oil of Olay gentle cleanser which is oil free. I am tired of buying all these Over the counter products and not getting much results.
    I went to the doctor back in April and all she could tell me is that it is a mixture of hormone changes and the exposure and reaction to the sun and to stay completely out of the sun. Yeah right! I live in Arizona. She prescribed me Tazarac cream which is expensive (even with insurance) and I never did go buy it because she said that using the cream would make my face worst before it gets better and if I were to expose my skin to the sun, it would get really bad. So what am I supposed to do? Cover my whole face each and everytime I go to and from work, to the store, anywhere?? Move to Antartica? Sorry for venting but it does help.
    So I've been reading up on these forums that most of you are getting away from the OTC and switching to the Yasmin BCP. Is this the pill that I should start off with?
    Sometimes I do feel like my face reactions are an allergy, but I can't be too sure. I only say this because sometimes my face tingles and itches. I am a make up user also. I stopped using foundation (I usually do in the summer) I just use Cover Girl face powder to help with how bad I shine. I've used it for years. Just a little confused at times, because I don't know if I have acne, an allergy, or make up is started to react badly with my skin (after all these years of using it).
    Sorry for the book, but any comments or suggestions would be most helpful.
    Thanks

Old 07-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #14
    KarynLR
    (female)

KarynLR HB User

I have a completely different take on birth control and acne... After my first course of Accutane, my skin was still sufficiently broken out. My derm wanted to "give my body a break from oral acne meds" before deciding what to do next, but was okay with a script from my gyn for OTC. After seeing all the "OTC is the only birth control pill that can clear your acne" commercials, I was surprised when I didn't get much acne relief from them, but my derm wasn't.

He said that hormonal birth control works in clearing only about 50-60% of people who take it specifically for acne. OTC was one of the first pills out there, and in the 70s, when more brands came out, they wanted to remain a household name--a brand people asked their doctor about. They did studies to prove that their product could help acne, and approached advertising from that angle. He told me that any birth control that regulates hormones can help with the skin; it's all about the hormones being regulated. But because OTC specifically studied it, they can claim it as a side effect.

That being said, over the past few years, I've swtiched from OTC to Ortho Evra (wanted to try the new patch!), and then from OE to Yasmin (needed a stronger hormone dose to control side effects), which I'm currently still "trying". Yasmin didn't give me a huge initial breakout, but it has had no effect on my skin whatsoever. I'm sure every derm has different opinions, but once I found out the OTC acne cure isn't all that they claim it to be, it cleared up a lot of mystery about why my skin wasn't getting much better.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #15
    rose79
    (female)

rose79 HB User

I've had mild to moderate acne (although its worse now than ever before) since i was a teenager and the only time ive ever been completely and totally clear, like could put anything on my face or not wash it for days and i wouldnt break out, was when i was on ortho. it was amazing. i dont remember an intial breakout. i wasnt taking it for acne (i took it for its traditional purpose), but now im thinking of going back on it. i have reason to believe that the way my skin is now is hormonal. im afraid of gaining weight, (which i did when i was on it the last time and my breasts were HUGE), but i'd rather that then have my skin be how it is right now. im afraid of an initial break out too. problem is, i think im looking for a miracle cure, and there is none. but i just wanted to put out that ortho really worked well for me back then.

Closed Thread