It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Ortho Evra

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User
    Ortho Evra

After a year and a half on the patch, I've given up on it. Within the past 6 months, three of those times I've started a new pack and gotten sick the next day. The connection didn't occur to me until last Monday when it happened again. Anyone here used the patch and have that happen to them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
    PotNoodlez4

PotNoodlez4 HB User
    Re: Ortho Evra

Ughh! Thats one of the main reasons I went off the patch over a month ago. I used to feel so sick to my stomach. More than anything though was the breast tenderness. I dunno if you had that as well. No lie, my bra size went up an entire cup size, B to C. My gyno said it was just swelling and that it would stop. Well it didn't stop until after I stopped using the patch. Within 1 week I was back down to my B cup, thank God! The patch is terrible!

Old 07-23-2004, 07:27 AM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I noticed some tenderness but it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, I didn't go up a size (I'm an A). But that's fine. It was the throwing up I couldn't deal with. I had a fear of throwing up but after this experience, I felt like I was an old pro lol. Anyway, I decided on the patch for the convenience of it. Now I'm just going to stay off bc for as long as possible.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
    ophelia77

ophelia77 HB User

Yes, BostonGirl44 , I have had a very similar experience as what you described. I was thrilled with it at first, I even recommended it to several friends. I was on ortho evra for about a year and a half and it seems like in the past 6 months the side effects went from minimal to severe. About a year after using the patch I was vomitting at the start of my first patch at the beginning of a cycle. I was sick the day after for about two days. Then after a few months, I was vomitting after patch one and patch two. Then it was after every patch application. The nausea was just so overwhelming. I just stopped using it a week ago and already feel much better. I am now experiencing some withdrawal bleeding (very light). For a while I was feeling "fuzzy headed" and dizzy. I just had enough! I am almost relieved to hear of your experience and it comforts me to know I am not broken! Thank you for posting! I, too, plan to stay away from hormonal birth controls for a while. My body needs a break! Perhaps after my husband and I decide to have a baby, I will try again. I have been on Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Cept, Alesse (sp?), Depo Provera (which was really terrible), and Ortho Evra. Can anyone recommend a good hormonal birth control for those of us who are ultra sensitive to the side effects? I am curious about the Nuva Ring.

Last edited by ophelia77; 08-06-2004 at 08:22 PM.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

Ophelia77,
    It sounds very much like we had similar experiences with the patch after a year and a half of using it. That's pretty strange! At first, I didn't want to believe it was the patch because it was working great for me and I recommended it completely. I mainly switched to it because of the convenience and not having to remember to take a pill everyday (before that I was on Orthotricyclen and then Orthotricyclen Lo). I thought about finishing the cycle and then starting my next one to see what would happen but the thought of waking up the day after putting the first patch on and getting sick was not appealing. I haven't spotted but I'm sure I threw off my period.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
    ophelia77

ophelia77 HB User
    Post Re: Ortho Evra

Yes, same with me! I would have recommended (and did) the patch to anyone in that first year. It is so strange that we have had such similar experiences! I put on the first patch (for the last time) just over a week ago, woke up at 4am vomitting, and took it off around 5am. So I am sure I interrupted my cycle a bit and I did spot for about 3 days, about 5 days after removing it.
    I must say, I feel soooo much better. The depression has gone, the nausea has gone, and all the other wierd ailments have gone (brief bouts of blurry vision, fuzzy headed, water retention, etc.). The research shows that it should completly leave the body after 2-3 months. Let me know how it goes! For now though, I am so glad to have my weekends back! It was rough there for a while!

Old 08-15-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I'm glad to hear you feel so much better. Let me know how it's going for you. If I had stuck with the patch, I would've put on a new one today, meaning I'd be sick tomorrow. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore. I didn't get my period so I obviously messed it up (and there's no other reason why I wouldn't have gotten it). I definitely had the fuzzy headed feeling too. I don't miss that! Actually, one of the friends I recommended it too just started getting that fuzzy headed feeling. She's been on it for about 6 months or so. I hope she doesn't go through what we went through!

Old 08-16-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
    sleater6

sleater6 HB User

i have been on tha patch now for almost a year and recently started to get panic attacks. i have heard of a couple of other girls who experienced the same thing. Im on the patch cause every other kind of birth ocntrol pill made me puke almost every single day.. the patch makes me puke also just not as much ..around maybe like 3 times a month but many days i felt like poopies on it. but this new thing of panic attacks is driving me nuts. i have never had panic attacks or felt such anxiety in my past at all so i believe it could be the patch. what do you all think? its making me feel like im losing my mind.. feels fuzzy... and really really nervous a lot. help? any advice? oh btw im on it to treat endometriosis.. ive already had two surgerys trying to avoid another.. just dont know if i can keep taking birth control forever...

Old 08-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #9
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

Sleater,

I wonder too if the patch caused your panic attacks. If you've never had them before and are just getting them now, you never know if there's a connection. When I was on the patch, I definitely felt funky. Not panic attacks, but a lot of times I felt lightheaded or just plain weird. I can't really explain it. Have you talked to your doctor? I know you said you've tried a lot of other pills. The best thing I did was get off all birth control. I've never felt better.

Old 08-19-2004, 07:43 AM   #10
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I guess I didn't throw my period off because I got it 4 weeks to the day that I would've gotten it had I still been on the patch. I'm expecting it to be longer and more painful now that I don't have my patch, but I'm just going to have to whip out the midol and heating pad.

Old 08-20-2004, 03:34 PM   #11
    wvfirefly

wvfirefly HB User

I have only been on the patch for two months and am having some of the symptoms you all have described. I'm not throwing up, but I'm sick to my stomach all the time. I haven't thrown up yet, but I feel like it's just a matter of time. I feel wierd, kind of disoriented alot. My breasts aren't really tender yet, but I am up a full cup size. I am also having trouble with my eyes like crazy. I can't wear my contacts at all. And my vision is constantly blurry. I've been blaming that on my allergies, although they've never affected my like this before. I'm really glad I read the posts you all have left. I have an appt made to talk to my doc about getting a tubal. I've already got three children. The nausea and the problems with my eyes are more than I can stand. I hadn't even thought that these other symptoms could be from the patch, as well. About the NuvaRing - I was on that for awhile and I loved it. My only problem was that I was one of the unlucky ones that get bacterial vaginosis easily. But, had I not gotten bv, I would probably still be on it. I had no side affects of any kind while on the NuvaRing, and it increased my libido, unlike other forms of bc that actually decrease it.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:52 PM   #12
    Jasodia

Jasodia HB User

I just recently went on the ORTHO EVRA patch. It's only been a week, but I am experiencing a lot of the side effects. I am nauseaus(sp) all day, loss of appetite, extreme fatigue and depression, and regular headaches. I'm already on Lexapro 40 mg., and I have been SOOO emotional, crying sometimes, and not even wanting to leave the house. I have 2 children, 9 yrs and 2 yrs and I hate feeling this way when I'm supposed to be entertaining my children! Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? And if so, please get back to me, Im wondering how long they last!
    I never had problems with the PILL except headaches all the time. My [ removed ] if anyone can please respond!
    Jasodia

Last edited by moderator2; 08-21-2004 at 07:40 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #13
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jasodia
    I just recently went on the ORTHO EVRA patch. It's only been a week, but I am experiencing a lot of the side effects. I am nauseaus(sp) all day, loss of appetite, extreme fatigue and depression, and regular headaches. I'm already on Lexapro 40 mg., and I have been SOOO emotional, crying sometimes, and not even wanting to leave the house. I have 2 children, 9 yrs and 2 yrs and I hate feeling this way when I'm supposed to be entertaining my children! Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? And if so, please get back to me, Im wondering how long they last!
    I never had problems with the PILL except headaches all the time. My [ removed ] if anyone can please respond!
    Jasodia
    Hi Jasodia,
    If you haven't had these side effects while using the pill, there may be some link with the patch. Of course, I can't say this for sure, but you never know if there may be some connection. Have you been on Lexapro long? Maybe the two interacting is causing you problems?

Closed Thread