It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Birth control pills...are there more risks if we take them or if we don't?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User
    Birth control pills...are there more risks if we take them or if we don't?

For those of us over 40, heres the problem. Lets take smoking out of it. Can someone tell me what the risks are if we don't take the birth control pill and what the risks are if we take a "low dosage" birth control pill. I am hoping that someone has concrete facts because I know so many of us women are confused on this issue. Thanks to all who reply!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
    Sivonne

Sivonne HB User
    Re: Birth control pills...are there more risks if we take them or if we don't?

Birth control pills are extremely dangerous. They can cause blood clots. I am speaking from experience. I was on bcp's and got a deep vein blood clot in my leg. I nearly died. Please don't take bcp's unless directed by a doctor to do so.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:52 AM   #3
    Greenoctopus18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Well, considering the fact you need to consult a doctor in order to get a prescription to take them anyway, that bit shouldn't be a worry.

Most doctors would (or should) warn of the possible adverse side-effects.. and if not, there is an information leaflet included which is your repsonsibility to read. If you don't want to risk those side-effects listed, well don't take it.
    They are not 'extremely dangerous'. Please don't come here spreading false information. Sure it is possible to experience side-effects, as you did, but the majority of people will only experience benefits.
    Since the estrogen part of the Pill is what is believed to be responsible for the increased risk of blood clots, you can safely use the Mini-Pill or a progestin-only injectable contraceptive.

Singer1, not sure of an answer to your question. However, I found this from a site that seems fairly reputable:

"Healthy women who have normal blood pressure and are not at increased risk for heart attack or stroke can take the regular low-dose pills until menopause. The Pill can be particularly helpful for peri-menopausal women in their mid-to late 40s who are having heavy or irregular periods."

Old 08-17-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
    susanna_29
    (female)

susanna_29 HB User

Honestly, birth control pills are dangerous. If you ever hear the advertisement's on tv........the possible side effects are blood clots and stroke and you're more at risk if your over 35. How is that not dangerous? It's not worth the side effects to take it. I wish I had known more about the pill when I first started it. Plus, they're synthetic hormones. Your body isn't able to really react in a good way to those hormones. So who knows what really happens to your body when you're taking them. I experienced alot on them and will never advise anyone to take them. Weight gain, acne,mood swings, no sex drive.........certainly isn't worth it to deal with all that crap. Do some research on the internet.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 AM   #5
    Greenoctopus18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Yes. Well, you would have known it was possible to experience those side-effects if you had read the information included with your pill.

The consumer information should list certain risk factors, and your doctor should check your history and ask about family history before they prescribe it to you...

Generally, if you are over 35 and you are a smoker; over 50 years of age or are menopausal; or you suffer from migraine headaches, you should think before taking it and consult your doctor. Other factors leading to risks of clots include being overweight/obese, having high blood pressure, smoking or lacking exercise.
    You may still continue to take it despite the risk factors, however you would require closer attention and more regular check-ups by your doctor.

If you have experienced any of the following it is probably not a good idea to take it as you have increased risks involved: problems with blood clots or blood-clotting problems; heart disease; cancer of the breast or reproductive tract; liver problems cancer; kidney disease; high blood pressure; or diabetes.

Women with a personal or family history of heart disease or other illnesses linked to the pill are usually steered away from oral contraceptives toward other methods of BC. Your doctor should be able to help you determine whether or not you should avoid using oral contraceptives or not.

If you are healthy, you don't smoke much, and no one in your family has suffered from major diseases such as a heart attack, or high cholesterol, you may never experience any of the more serious side effects attributed to the pill.
    Healthy, nonsmoking women have no increased risk of heart attack or stroke. There may be small increase in the risk of blood clots, but this risk is apparantly less than with pregnancy.

The truth is, for most women, the pill is very safe. Pill use also offers a number of benefits. Some women take the pill for reasons other than contraception, such as regulating periods, treating painful periods, decreasing occurrance of cysts on the ovaries, treating endometriosis, and treating hormonal imbalances.

You start taking the pill well aware of the possible side-effects. It is bad luck if you are one to experience them, but it doesn't mean that everyone is going to have the same problems. All in all, it up to the individual on whether they consider it worth taking, despite the possible side-effects. Not everyone will have all, or any, of the things you listed.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
    smec
    (female)

smec HB User

I am under 35, physically fit, and a non-smoker and I guess very "unlucky". This summer I had a begnin tumor on my liver rupture and cause me to lose 2 1/2 pints of blood. My gall bladder and 60% of my liver were removed. I spent 7 days in the hospital and 8 weeks at home recovering. The hepatic adenoma that ruptured was caused by birth control pills. Birth control pills can be very unsafe, and the scary thing is there is really no way to know for whom. Liver tumors in women have increased since the introduction of the pill and HRT. That is a FACT!

Old 09-11-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smec
    I am under 35, physically fit, and a non-smoker and I guess very "unlucky". This summer I had a begnin tumor on my liver rupture and cause me to lose 2 1/2 pints of blood. My gall bladder and 60% of my liver were removed. I spent 7 days in the hospital and 8 weeks at home recovering. The hepatic adenoma that ruptured was caused by birth control pills. Birth control pills can be very unsafe, and the scary thing is there is really no way to know for whom. Liver tumors in women have increased since the introduction of the pill and HRT. That is a FACT!
    my god..yeap this convinces me to stay away from the pill for good.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #8
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

I know that some of the side effects/complications from the pill are scary and even life threatening. But it is important to remember that literally millions of women take the pill everyday with no problems.

Also, I think one thing we are forgetting is the risks of pregnancy! Pregnancy can be very dangerous, and even fatal. Women do get very sick and some even die when pregnant. Studies have consistently shown that the risks of pregnancy are greater for most women than the risk of the pill (smokers over 35 being the exception.).

Let's try to keep things in perspective.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #9
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Okay, but what if women have had their tubes tied and they arw on it just so they won't have a period? Which is more risky, to be on a low dose pill or none at all? (Remember, these are women over the age of 40 and have not hit menopause yet)

Old 09-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #10
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

I don't think I completely understand the question. Do you have a medical reason to regulate your period, or is it out of convenience? If for convenience than clearly the pill is more risky than not. If for other reasons...that is something you would have to discuss with your doctor. What are the risks of the disease versus the treatment?

Only a doctor who is familiar with your personal medical history could tell you the answer for your specific case. Obviously, everyone is different, and the risks and benefits would vary with each individual woman.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:23 PM   #11
    leannaaker

leannaaker HB User

I have had no side effects from the pill, but I have a friend who has had all but one of the listed possible side effects. Yes, there is no way to know who it will affect, but if there is a legitimate reason to take the pill and your physician and/or OBGYN determines you're not in a high risk group, well....

Old 09-13-2004, 06:29 AM   #12
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

My doctor said that since I was not going to have anymore children, that women don't NEED to have periods and that being on a low dose pill is perfectly fine, but then I read from the book "what your doctor doesn't tell you about menopause" and that is pretty scarey! That's why I am so confused about the pill and wish that I could get concrete answers. I know.....that's why they call it "practicing Medicine......brother!

Old 09-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #13
    MissK
    (female)

MissK HB User

i read that birth control can be one of the causing factors for cervical dysplasia. i've been on bc for over three years and recently i was diagnosed with moderate cervical dysplasia and had the cryo-surgery done. unfortunately, bc doesn't tell you that. but my doctor hasn't told me to stop taking the bc, since he is the once that prescribed it to me.

Closed Thread