It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Allergic to Oral Contraceptive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
    Candice561

Candice561 HB User
    Exclamation Allergic to Oral Contraceptive

Hey Everyone,
    I started taking Marvelon around New Years and after a couple months I started to get huge painful lumps on my legs. Turns out it was Eurothema Nodosom or something like that, which basically means I'm allergic to all types of oral contraceptive. I was just wondering if anyone else has this or if anyone knows of other types of birth control I could use instead of oral contraceptive? I've been to a doctor and he says he doesnt think the shot is a good idea because it stays in my system for 3 months and if i'm allergic to that, then there isnt any way to remove it from my system.
    I always use a condom with my boyfriend, but it freaks me right out because we've popped them and tore them a few times *this was while I was on BC*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: Allergic to Oral Contraceptive

I'm a big fan of fertility awareness. You can use it with condoms to increase the effectiveness. You would use condoms before your fertile period, abstain during your fertile period, and then resume using condoms again. That might sound tough, but once you learn to identify your fertile times I think you will find yourself a lot more willing to go without sex for a few days because you know that if your method fails you are in big trouble.
    Or if you are positive that you and your b/f are std free and you trust him, you could choose to not use a condom or whatever after ovulation. Thats kind of a risky idea before you are married though I think. I highly recommend Taking Control of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Oops Taking Charge of Your Fertility

Old 08-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
    Candice561

Candice561 HB User

That's great advice, thanks border girl!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:40 AM   #5
    Greenoctopus18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hello. I had a thought that maybe you could still take a progestin-only pill. I found the following information that may be helpful...

"Because the condition is rather uncommon, it is difficult to know if some oral contraceptives are more likely to cause the reaction than others.
    There is a suggestion that higher estrogen content may place women at a higher risk. The risk may be lower with a progestin-only oral contraceptive. Some women have been able to take other kinds of oral contraceptives without a repeat reaction; others have not been so fortunate."

Trying another oral contraceptive that contains only a progestin might be a consideration. I think Micronor?
    These pills are slightly less effective than combined pills, and also must be taken more accurately (at pretty much exactly the same time each day).. but they are still over 90-something% effective.

Another alternative may be a lower-estrogen dose such as Alesse.

Another option may be an intra-uterine device (IUD). Copper-containing IUDs are 99% effective, and some can be left in for 10 years. These don't really look like something I would personally want inserted though.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
    Candice561

Candice561 HB User

My doctor reccomended the intra-uterine device and It doenst really look like something I would want inserted either.. Kinda freaks me out a lot! lol Thanks for the advice! I'm going to head over to my doctors in a bit and check that out!

Closed Thread